Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Upgrading my 717 hope hoops to crest.
  • robhughes
    Free Member

Evening all.Thinking of upgrading from pro2(non evo 32 hole) 717,s to crest rims.
    Has anyone done this and if so have you got the spoke lengths or can the original spokes be used.
    I,m new to all this wheel building malarky. 😀
    Thanks…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Probably not worth it, just sell them and buy new wheels.

robhughes
    Free Member

I was thinking that…

br
    Free Member

+1 new wheels and keep the 717’s as spares

It use to be that Hope charged no more for Crests, while they were far more expensive to buy as a rim-only.

robhughes
    Free Member

£370 from Merlin though…Not cheap.wouldn’t it be a lot cheaper to do this the other way..

tinybits
    Free Member

hmm, watches with interest as thinking of doing the same thing….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Dunno, what would you get 2nd hand ofr your set? Around £150?

How much are the rims, and the spokes, and the build?

£340 here http://www.moonglu.com/shop/pro-2-evo-stans-crest-black/

scotroutes

Just about worth it if you are going to build them yourself. Otherwise, it’s probably better to sell the 717 and get a new set of wheels.

robhughes
    Free Member

What’s winstanleys build quality like?.On par with merlins or are they bought in.
    Forget that.Just read there from hope direct.

honourablegeorge

Direct from Hope. Quality is spot on.

robhughes
    Free Member

Do you know if they will do the hubs in a color honourablegeorge.

andyl
    Free Member

I think hope hoops are black hubs only

honourablegeorge

Black only for the hope hoops, unless you get them from a preferred dealer like Moonglu/18Bikes, etc – you won’t get them close to that cheap though.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Crests are not a strong rim, would go arch ex every time

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Crests are plenty strong for their intended use. I’m 85kg and have been using no tubes rims since the 1st pair imported by John Webb and I’ve not bent a crest.

Arch EX is stiffer however and I might consider those next time now I’m on 29.

Unless you fancy the challenge, or the coloured hubs, I’d sell your wheels and buy new complete, you won’t be able to buy the components for the price of the complete wheel I doubt and then you’d still have to build them.

Cheezpleez

All the above is true. However, if you fancy the satisfaction of learning a new skill and building your own wheels I can thoroughly recommend Roger Musson’s book.

18bikes

honourablegeorge – Member
    Black only for the hope hoops, unless you get them from a preferred dealer like Moonglu/18Bikes, etc – you won’t get them close to that cheap though.

Jeeez, does nobody value time any more? 😉 I spent hours taping up Hoops on Saturday (felt like days on the 29ers, they feel like they take twice as long as a 26!) Maybe not as out-and-out cheap, but definitely better value!

To be fair, we do include free stans tape, valves and sealant, plus fitting the tape/valves at no labour cost. It’s not a difficult job, but a fair bit easier when you’ve done a few – better that you get a decent seal first time that get in a mess.

We keep all black options in stock, coloured hubs on Hoops take 2 days from Hope, sometimes next day. (to us)

Heck, we even throw in free advice – send me an email if you’d like to chat more about Crest vs Arch EX, the Arch EX is well worth considering. info@18bikes.co.uk
    Si

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Of Merlin still have the crest predecessor, the 355, at sale prices if you fancy rebuilding them yourselves.

I kept to 355s as they fit Maxxis LUST tyres nicely, which are a bear to get onto Crests (Ignitors anyway). The LUSTs have a more robust sidewall than normal folding, which is nice…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading my 717 hope hoops to crest.’ is closed to new replies.