Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Upgrading, do wheels really make that much difference?
  • stevepitch
    Free Member

So, as no-one seems to want my pitch Im going to keep it and do a few choice upgrades and I’m just wondering on peoples thoughts (dangerous on this forum I know :lol:).

Basically where should I start? I’ve upgraded the rear shock to an RP23 so thats that done. Ive also upgraded the sektor with the MoCo damper so would rather keep that for a bit.

I was basically wondering would upgrading the wheels from the standard setup to a Hope/Flow combo really make that much of a difference to the ride?

cheers

footflaps

You can buy the same bike cheaper new than you were asking 2nd hand for it – that’s probably why no one was interested.

As for wheels – lighter wheels make a big difference as do tyres and going tubeless.

stevepitch
    Free Member

Cheapest I found it new was £1200 plus that was with Rockshox Ario and undamped sektors so I thought what I was asking was fair but obviously not. Never mind would probably regret it once I had sold it anyway 😆

hambl90
    Free Member

This summer I changed my tyres to lower profile tread for less rolling resistance and really noticed a difference in my speed , back on winter tyres now but will definitely be changing back next summer .

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

£1150 is way to high for a 2nd hand bike that can be bought new for £1200.

Wheels will make the biggest difference to your bike, if you buy quality ones.

stevepitch
    Free Member

ok ok ok no need to **** rub it in I get the picture 😕

Cool I’ll look at investing in some wheels then

Cheers

LoCo
    Free Member

+1 tubeless and a blackbox dual flow rebound assm for the forks will get them working really well too.

stevepitch
    Free Member

cheers LoCo Heard that mentioned before will have to drop you an email with some questions about it.

renton
    Free Member

ive got a set of american classic wheels on mine steve, seem really nice and lighten up the bike a bit !

rickon
    Free Member

If you don’t do full on AM or DH, then I’d recommend going for Hope Pro II on some Crest rims, quite a bit lighter, and damn strong too. Light wheels make a heavy bike feel far more flighty.

I’d change out that cassette for an XT, and think about upgrading the chainset to an SLX or XT… if you wanted to drop the weight further.

+1 for LoCo’s dual-flow rebound assembly too.

renton
    Free Member

LoCo can you tell me more about this damping stuff for the forks as ive got the standard sektors on mine and to be fair they are a bit basic !!

stevepitch
    Free Member

Renton did you ride your pitch with the standard wheels I’d be interested in a comparison.

Rickon cheers for that, I do ride Aston now and then so was thinking flows over crests. I was also thinking going 1×10 to shave a little more off.

LoCo
    Free Member

The dual flow blackbox rebound assmebly is what was fitted to the 2011 RLT Ti revelations, it’ll get the fork working better in terms of recovery from repeated hits, it’s a cheaper option than replacing the Moco unit (only hte DNA 2012 ones are available now)

Tubeless wheels wise I favour the Mavic 819XM on hopes as they’re pretty tough and reasonably light

renton
    Free Member

steve ive had 3 pitches so far

my last two had standard wheels and i found them ok.

to be fair i cant really tell if there is a difference or not if im really honest. im not sure if thats down to using different tyres or not?

my pitch as you know came to me fully upgraded with 2x 10 xt blah blah etc etc and its a nice bike…… but it doesnt feel any lighter/different to my old pitch.

everything just seems crisper if that makes sense?

edit….. ive only had it a week so not really rode it in anger yet though !!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

My philosophy of most fun for least cash:

1. lighter wheels (well rims actually, durability & value more important for hubs) & tyres
    2. tyres – wide = lower pressure = more grip too.
    3. up/down s/post?

I CBA with lots of things folk shell out on – xtr, fancy shocks etc.

4. Once your bike is otherwise sorted with durable components then save for a different bike.

5. Go to 1 until money/space/wife constrains you.

GW
    Free Member

My[b] a complete mincer’s[/b] philosophy of most fun for least cash:

1. lighter wheels (well rims actually, durability & value more important for hubs) & tyres
    2. tyres – wide = lower pressure = more grip too.
    3. up/down s/post?

I CBA with lots of things folk shell out on – xtr, fancy shocks etc.

4. Once your bike is otherwise sorted with durable components then save for a different bike.

5. Go to 1 until money/space/wife constrains you.

lighter rims is a stupid idea for a pitch, flows would be the minimum amount of stiffness required IMO, and low pressures (without heavy dual ply tyres) just don’t work for the kind of riding the bikes more than capable of. as for the shock, the standard shock on a pitch is pretty shite, first thing I’d be doing with one would be replacing it with a decently tuned coil shock.
    also, once a bike’s sorted I generally keep it til I break it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

lighter rims is a stupid idea for a pitch

So you would buy heavier???

There are plenty of lighter rims than the stock ones, If the rider isn’t using his pitch for hardcore riding then even lighter would make sense regardless of the bikes intended use.

oink
    Free Member

look at some roval traverse el wheels (roval aka specialized) 1550g for the pair – 2011 ones can be found for a lot less than their retail value

renton
    Free Member

why would you replace / upgrade parts with heavier items if a lighter and just as strong version would do the same job

to many people like to add shit loads of unecessary weight to a pitch and then go on about how good it ploughs through stuff going downhill, great, but i bet its a **** to ride back up a hill.

i find the rp2 fitted to my bike fine for what i do on it.

Northwind

I’ve no idea how heavy the standard wheels are so it’s a bit tricky but Flows seem a good match. I’m light and not hard on wheels but I wouldn’t want to go much lighter/weaker

Course it also depends on your choice of tyres, any saving might end up being a bit lost if you’re fitting 1kg dualplies or similiar.

I’d definately consider the rebound mod for the forks… But i’d sooner spend £200 on a dropper post than on wheels, for the bike you have, it’s a good package already.

renton
    Free Member

im thinking of swapping out the sektors to a set of air revelations in the new year as they come with the motion control etc.

tomaso
    Free Member

I swapped the wheels when the bearings went as a thin excuse for new wheels and upgraded to Hope Pro 2s on Mavic 321s. The wheels are both lighter and stronger and don’t have silly red anodised nipples but solid brass ones.

Do the wheels make a difference? Slightly but not much. And once fitted with dual ply tyres how could you tell!

As for the asking price of the Pitch it is always tricky selling something if you don’t really want to sell it! There is a secondhand one in good nick for £650 buy it now / offers on fleabay right now that is a bargain. South Downs Bikes have a hardly used Pro for £1,199.

cynic-al
    Free Member

@ Gary Extreme:

br
    Free Member

Flow’s wouldn’t be much lighter, go Hope Pro 2 SP’s c/w Crests and run tubeless – plenty stiff enough, and wide enough rims to ‘stretch’ the front tyre.

renton
    Free Member

heres my new (to me) pitch…………

its now wearing a raceface stem and bar combo too.

not bad for £1100

jedi

my crossmax sx’s weigh nothing compared to the wheels i used to use and are just as durable = winner!

the st’s on my hummer weigh less than the cris king hubed wheelset that was on it by a mile too = double winner 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

You mean…you disagree with the AWESOME one?

renton
    Free Member

You mean…you disagree with the AWESOME one?

GW
    Free Member

What makes you think a crossmax SX rim weighs less than a Flow rim?

jedi

i dont know im just saying lighter wheels make a difference.

why you ask gw?

GW
    Free Member

Aye, Tony, I totally agree. 😀
    sorry, shoulda made it clearer, my question was to CynicAl

your SX wheels have alloy spokes and less drillings don’t they? that should make a fairly significant weight saving without Mavic having to use stupid light weak/flexy rims.
    my only issue with alloy spokes in Mavics and Industry 9s etc. would be uplift/crash damage (from bailing into rocks etc.) and that they’re not as readily available as standard spokes when you need spares.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Did I say that an SX rim weighs less than a Flow rim?

Oh and BTW I did the “GW = AWESOME” tag, but not the others.

Oh and why is it the local kids call you “Gary Extreme” then? Is it cos you cycle past them on your ex GF’s 16″ bike?

jedi

gw, i thought i’d break them easily but they ture as! 🙂

GW
    Free Member

good for you Al.. that tagging habit of yours must be hard to kick 😉

you accused Jedi of disagreeing? what with?

jedi

i need a beer. i’m confused 🙂

renton
    Free Member

nevermind all that !!!!! what do you think of my new bike ^^^^^^^

GW
    Free Member

Al – So you’re now calling Mike and Dave kids? 😆
    if you’re going to stalk people, do try to be more subtle about it and actually pay attention to detail.

GW
    Free Member

strong light wheels + cold beer = win win win!!

*cheers* 8)

jedi

renton – Member

nevermind all that !!!!! what do you think of my new bike ^^^^^^^

quite good them cheap ones ……………….. runs away zig zagging in case renton chases him 😉

SBrock
    Free Member

Keep your Pitches, they are great bikes! Had the first one in the bronze, a PRO I loved it!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading, do wheels really make that much difference?’ is closed to new replies.