Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Upgrading an old Cannondale – brake help needed.
  • Trimix
    Free Member

My mate has an old Cannondale F4 circa 2000 and its got milk bottle tops for discs and cable brakes.

(not to mention a headshock that is shocking – but he hasn’t ridden anything with proper suspension so doesn’t realise that yet)

You cant lock the front or back wheel at all, not even in the carpark stood next to it. He has asked me to help him spec some better brakes and I wondered if a set of basic Shimano hydraulic brakes would fit. But they all seem to be post mount.

Can you just buy an adaptor ? Or does someone sell brakes that would fit ?

Oh and he came out on the weekend without a middle ring (he’d worn it out so removed it) so the poor chap spent the whole ride in big or granny and a gap that caused his chain to fall off in between. Anyone any idea of what replacement ring I need. I cant recall what cranks he has, but its standard, he’s not replaced anything since buying it new.

teasel
    Free Member

Can you just buy an adaptor ?

Yep.

These…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-mount-adaptor-front-post-to-is/rp-prod13743

…make it easy. Different sizes for different sized rotors.

The last time I looked at Shimano XTs they were around £116 minus rotors. Bargain or opt for SLX which will probably be even cheaper.

Trimix
    Free Member

Ah, brilliant – just what I need. Cheers.

Trouble is once he gets brakes that work he will then realise he need sticky tyres / proper suspension / gears that shift and geometry to cope with it all.

Perhaps I should just tell him to sell it on retro bikes and buy something new.

Dickyboy

Perhaps I should just tell him to sell it on retro bikes and buy something new.

secondhand but not quite so shagged?

teasel
    Free Member

It’s a fine line when an oldish bike gets a lot of use and little servicing. Most of the guys I know that have similar bikes in a similar condition don’t seem interested in the latest stuff until they ride it, so it’s possible he’ll convert once using the brakes.

Do you have something he can swing a leg over to sample the latest wares or is that a step too far…?

Trimix
    Free Member

He is in the army and has that “make do” mentality. He never once moaned (or slowed down) on our ride despite doing the whole thing in big gear !

He wasn’t fussed about driving round Afghanistan in a canvas covered Landrover, so he would probably ride a penny farthing down Snowdon in the dark having memorised the route.

But he would find it more fun on something more suitable, so I will open him up to the differences gradually.

teasel
    Free Member

so I will open him up to the differences gradually.

Yeah, probably best not to load it on too thickly with those fragile soldier types…

🙂

amedias
    Free Member

Basic shimano hydraulics can be had for under £20 and end brand new, they’d be a great and cheap upgrade.

gonzy
    Free Member

if he likes the frame and isnt too fussed about selling it then the other option could be to get rid of the fork and headshock and fit a normal fork.
    AFAIK the headtube is a 1.5in size so a 1.5in headset will fit the headtube for a 1.5 steerer fork. he could also fit a reducer to run a 1 1/8th fork or get one of those mixer headsets so he can use a tapered steerer fork

Trimix
    Free Member

Mmm, that’s a good idea Gonzy.

We all had a go on his bike once and decided a fully ridged would be faster / safer / more fun. I think the headshock was aptly named.

(Its good fun riding with him as he normally takes the circuit class I do and mountain biking give me a chance to get my own back for all the burpees he make me do.)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading an old Cannondale – brake help needed.’ is closed to new replies.