Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Upgrading 8 speed to 10 problem
  • wicki
    Free Member

HI I have an 8 speed tourer with shimano hubs i tried to put an old 10 speed sram cassette on to the freehub and it is to tall for the freewheel body, is there a fix for this or is it possible to leave of the small cog and run it as a 9 speed would i need a 9 speed or a 10 speed shifter for that ? the reason is to lower the gearing on the tourer. ❓

mattsccm
    Free Member

8 speed is the same as 10 so there’s something up.
    Now if it was an old 7 speed freehub then 10 wouldn’t fit. Pull it off and make sure that its clean, flat and nothing is in the wrong place.

wicki
    Free Member

Ok thoroughly cleaned and degreased, all the cogs go on but the engagement with the splines for the last cog is minuscule less than a mm is that normal before tightening the lock ring?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

It’ll squish down a bit. Engagement is usually a mm or 2.

You’ll need a 10 speed shifter (road) 8 or 9 speed mech should be fine as long as it’s in good nick.

wicki
    Free Member

mountain shifter wont work ? its an mtb cassette with Deore derailer so i was expecting to use an mtb shifter on the rear and a road shifter on the front tigra crankset and tiagra derailer

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

You’ll need 10 mtb shifter and 10 mtb mech then.
    Anything else will require significant bodging.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And as far as I can remember 7 and 8 use the same spacing. The cassette is just one cog wider. 9 and 10 both reduce the spacing to get 9 and 10 speeds into the space of an 8.

Rear mech geo is pretty much the same 7 8 9, completely different 10.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sounds like a bit of a lash up to me actually.

But you’ll need a 10 speed road shifter and a 9 speed deore mech. Then you’ll index over all 10 speeds.
    Or are you using flat bars?

wicki
    Free Member

yes its a flat bar lash up 😳

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Oh dear.
    So what bits are you dead set on using?
    I’ll try and spot mismatches.

wicki
    Free Member

Tiagra triple cranks + BB
    Tiagra Front der
    Deore rear der
    Sram 12/36 Cassette

these parts I have shifters i expect to buy.

and thanks for the help.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If that’s a deore 9 speed rear mech
    You’ll need Shimano Tiagra 4603 3x10sp Flat Bar Shifters. That’ll just be plug and play. Front and rear.

wicki
    Free Member

lovely thank you very much 😀

wicki
    Free Member

1 last (I hope problem) both SJSC and CRC list these shifters with the right hand shifter being for doubles , I dont see why there could be a difference between a double and a triple for the right hand shifter or am I missing something again ?

scaredypants

10sp cassettes sometimes use a spacer at the back – if there’s one there (maybe glued on with grease) try taking it off (but check that cassette doesn’t foul hub/spokes and that your mech doesn’t get too close to the spokes)

(rear shifters are independent of double/triple AFAIK)

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, thats a point, some cassettes have a 1. something mm spacer behind them. The hub body sometimes needs it, sometimes not. And it’ll usually work with one even if it doesn’t need it. But if you haven’t got one fitted and you do need it, the cassette will rattle……. if that makes sense.

As for the shifters, you’re probably looking at 4600 shifters (2×10) you need 4603. Combined with lazy proof reading, right hand shifters don’t care whats going on at the other end.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-shifters/shimano-tiagra-sl4603-10-speed-rapidfire-shift-levers-for-flat-bar-triple/

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And i’d not dick around buying from SJSC, not sure exactly what the €/# rate is at the moment, but these are cheaper……

https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8;product=23794;menu=1000,4,38

wicki
    Free Member

Actualy sjsc are cheaper than bike 24 by the time they apply tax and postage.

Matt24k
    Free Member

I think you’ll find the SJS price is in Pounds and the bike24 is in Euros.
    At current exchange rates it is £66.53 inc postage and VAT.

wicki
    Free Member

bike 24 66.8549688 British pounds
    sjsc £64.98 gbp

And sjsc are nice guys who know there stuff over the years I have had great service from them.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Sjsc comes up as 80 quid for me.

wicki
    Free Member

antity Description Price Total
    1 Shimano Tiagra SL-4600 10 Speed Rapidfire Shift Lever for Flat Bar – Double – Right Hand
    Product code: 37947 £29.99 £29.99
    1 Shimano Tiagra SL-4603 10 Speed Rapidfire Shift Lever for Flat Bar – Triple – Left Hand
    Product code: 37948 £23.99 £23.99
    Sub Total £53.98
    Delivery (International EU Tracked) £11.00
    Total £64.98

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Upgrading 8 speed to 10 problem’ is closed to new replies.