Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Upgraded your 29er wheels and pleased?
  • Wally

What’s an upgrade from a pair of Crossmax ST’s, I quite fancy some Crossmax SL’s. My riding is all longer distance cross country mincing all over the place with the desent on Blade at Afan being about as rocky as it gets (that was a hoot)

Why? I have this possibly delusional idea that I could easily swop over wheels if conditions suddenly change or even turn up to more remote multiple day rides with 2 sets. The ST’s have had several bearings changed over the last 3 years and I feel confident doing this.

Wally? Does anybody actually do this and find it useful? Am I in reality going to find that anything black and round actually does a fine job 99% of the time and this pipedream backfires when I get out the spare pair and all the sealant is a solid lump and the valve set solid.

Would dipping a toe into the world of LB carbon or even SuperStar be wise?
    21mm inner diameter is fine with me, 2.2 schwalbe or 2.35 narrow Geax toro are absolute max I use.

Thanks for any real world help, feel free to do the usual and recommend what you actually use. Budget north of £600 mark. Sub £500 if Mrs Wally asks.

slowboydickie

I got some light bicycle 395g rims on American Classic hubs and “feels” much quicker acceleration not to mention far stiffer.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

I run 2 sets of wheels on my hardtail, a set of handbuilt hope/flow ex and a cheapo set. The cheap set has mud tyres on. It was a bit of an outlay as i needed 2 sets of discs and 2 casettes but it means if its ming riding conditions its a 2 seconds swap to muddies with no sealant issues. Just remember to move both sets about every so often.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve got the 365g hookless 29er LB rims on American Classic hubs, 1370g with Revolution spokes.

Don’t get the 2 pairs of wheels thing though, do you mean having a set with mud tyres on or sommat? I did it for a while, but rarely bothered swapping, mainly because one set felt nicer to ride.

Wally

njee20 – I have made few wheels in the past with a bit of internet research and copying a wheel and not died yet. Did you make yours?
    These rims?
    Hibs from here, but out of stock
    Spokes what length do I need and any suggestions of a source.

I realise there are a few detailed threads on LB rims, I will start to wade through. Thanks for patience with basic questions on how to source the parts.I do not wish to start another LB thread.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep – I asked for light rims and mine were both 355g.

I got hubs from AEBike.com – US based, but prob no cheaper than Winstanley’s once you’ve paid taxes etc.

Spokes I’d have to check lengths, I got from one of the German sellers.

Wally

Thanks njee – I understand lengths are a bit tricky and people have been caught out. Please do check and I will order the same. Mentally ready for this now and I do love knowing how each bit works and that I can mend a broken spoke easily.

njee20
    Free Member

I used 286/286 on one wheel and 288/288 on one, can’t remember which way around though… I originally used 284/284 on one, but they were too short. I think that was the rear – which I rebuilt with 288s.

Front was a bit of a compromise because Revs come in 2mm increments. Been fine though.

daveh
    Free Member

Crest on Pro2 (so light where it counts), 15-16 stone riding the Peaks/Wharncliffe etc. Amazing how they’re holding up, reckon I must be smooth as. 😆 Presumably not the stiffest but stiff isn’t always the answer.

Wally

Rims are £220 and a 6 week wait direct plus taxes
    Hubs £270 and a couple of weeks wait from Winstanleys
    Spokes are £72 from CRC.
    Taxes on £220 are 22%?? so about £50 so total expected about £612.
    Is this about right? Same cost as Mavic SL’s and I need to build them.
    Am I missing something? I understand these are 200g lighter and this is significant.

z1ppy

order the rims via LB site on ebay.com (LB sites doesn’t come up on .co.uk) and they will talk to you about what value you’d like marked on your delivery note… might help with the duty charges 😀

I went for 30mm LB 29er rims on BOR hubs, come in at respectable 1500g(ish), and don’t regret it.

jamcorse

Went from dinged crests on hope pro2 to LB 30mm on pro2. Very happy with the result,stiffer and springier in a good way but negligible change in weight.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Upgraded your 29er wheels and pleased?’ is closed to new replies.