Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Upgrade trail pedals
  • cookci
    Free Member

I’m currently using Shimano M424 pedals and the bearings have gone a little.

I was thinking of purchasing the PD-M540 however I have been advised I might miss the platform on technical descents.

TBH I tend to really struggle moving until i’m clipped anyway so i’m unsure what to do

any thoughts?

devash
    Free Member

PD-M530 gets my recommendation every time.

BadlyWiredDog

If the internals of M424s are like other Shimano SPDs, you should be able to strip them down and adjust the bearings to remove the excess play, which may be all you need to do.

The Shimano trail pedals with the slightly larger pedal body give a little more support than the standard versions, check out something like the XT PDM-875. Not as much platform as the ones you have, but more support for the sole than the standard SPDs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cookci
    Free Member

so it sounds like he is correct then about me needing a little more support than the 540

The pdm-785 look good.

what about shoes? Any suggestions? I’ve currently got some very heavy skater type ones which seem to soak up any water

SirHC

I’ve recently swapped from the M424 to the XT trail, platform is a little smaller, but much much better at mud shedding. Currently using specialized rimes, on the lookout for a replacement, as after the winter they will have had it.

cookci
    Free Member

Ordered some 785’s 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Upgrade trail pedals’ is closed to new replies.