Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Upgrade to 10 speed or wait for 11 speed???
  • PJ266
    Free Member

So, Im still using 9 speed stuff.

Due an upgrade as things are wearing out and debating whether to go ahead with 10 speed XT/XTR or wait it out for 11 speed.

Is this where Shimano are going? Or will I be waiting around for the next two years? Opinions?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m pondering the same question with a new road bike purchase I’m planning.

PJ266
    Free Member

Dont get me started on the road bike situation, thats got 11 speed and disc brakes to take into account!

Bazz

Stick to 9 speed, the cost will come down for cassettes and chains etc.

I was thinking of upgrading but when i looked into it and priced it up i’d be spending £150-200 on making my bike heavier! Would of had to spend even more just to make it the same, and after reading a few re-views on here i decided it just wasn’t worth it.

When i get a new bike i suspect that’ll be 10 speed and it’s actually more cost effective than buying a seperate drivetrain.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Simple answer to a simple question is go with what you can afford.

I recently went 10 speed and the outlay of it was about £200…it’s hard to justify triple that (and then some) for 11 speed but I would if I’d have had the cash burning hole in mi skyrocket.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’d love to add discs into the mix but they just don’t seem to be actually happening yet.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m pondering the same question with a new road bike purchase I’m planning.

If you mean you’re going to build one up, the deals you can get on 10 speed road stuff at the moment, it’s a no brainer to use it. Merlin are doing 105 cassettes for £20, 105 chainsets for £75…etc etc.

Onzadog
    Free Member

As for your issue, I’d stick with 9. Next time you ask this question, go 11. Miss out ten speed altogether

njee20
    Free Member

XTR due an upgrade for 2015, and you’d get short odds on that going 11 speed! The other groups will be a year behind, so depends what a hurry you’re in!

GEDA
    Free Member

Do you sometimes think that you need smaller steps between ratios? ….

Thought not. There is therefore no point changing from 9 speed, problem solved.

edhornby

only problem with 9sp is that you can’t get 11–36 cassettes anymore, that’s the main reason you’d go to 10

my only question is robustness, is 11 going to be eaten by the UK winter ?? those outer plates are gonna be thin to pack those ratios together

glasgowdan
    Free Member

How many speeds do you need? Instead of looking for a 36t cassette just get a 30t chainring instead! You’ll rarely (if ever) spin out 30-11.

I got 10spd a while back as I wanted new stuff, and a clutch mech, but still got it fairly cheap.

njee20
    Free Member

only problem with 9sp is that you can’t get 11–36 cassettes anymore, that’s the main reason you’d go to 10

You’ve never been able to.

Instead of looking for a 36t cassette just get a 30t chainring instead! You’ll rarely (if ever) spin out 30-11.

I find 36-11 just about ok on the road on the flat, wouldn’t go smaller. Personally a 30t ring would annoy me. Horses for courses innit.

honourablegeorge
    glasgowdan
    Free Member

Mountain bikes aren’t designed to be good on the road on the flat though are they?

njee20
    Free Member

Depends if you have trails on your doorstep or want to drive to the trails. I don’t really to either.

njee20
    Free Member

You can still get a 12-39 9 speed Deore

Assume you mean 12-36? Trouble is that it weighs about the same as the moon, and. 12-36 is a narrower range than 11-34, so it’s a pretty pointless offering unless you switch the 12 to an 11, in which case you have a big jump right at the bottom of the block where it’s already quite a jump.

patriotpro
    Free Member

A few posts are missing the point of the OP. He’s upgrading anyway as his 9 speed train is worn.

What advantages are there to rebuying a 9 speed train over 10 speed?

njee20
    Free Member

Particularly as there are more offers on 10 speed stuff!

PJ266
    Free Member

Yup, I think I will get one, maybe two more chains out of my current drivetrain. Mechs looking beat and shifter is about 6 years old so all getting a bit tired!

Im in the happy position of getting stuff at trade price and I do enjoy shiny things.

At the moment Im swaying toward waiting as long as possible to see what new stuff is released. Bikes are getting like laptops/phones now, its out of date if its a year old!

njee20
    Free Member

At least with drivetrains it’s not that bad. XTR has been out 3 years, it’s always been on a 4-year cycle, XT and SLX likewise – just a year behind. Nothing they do will render xx1 obsolete, just a different offering.

patriotpro
    Free Member

I found 10 speed parts to be cheaper than equivalent 9 speed parts when buying mine a couple of months ago.

I use a 34t with 11-36 and which is spot in for Summer. Wouldn’t mind a 32t for extra winter torque mind.

Knowing that you can buy at trade though, I conclude that life’s too short, go XX1 😉

njee20
    Free Member

I concur. Although frankly the German prices are cheaper than trade on a lot of stuff!

avdave2

If your 9 speed mech and shifter are pretty battered then there is no incentive to sell them now while there is still demand for them. So as you say better to get a bit more life out of what you have.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m still on 8.

Am thinking of 10 – because you can then get away with 1 chainring and shimano use a better cable pull than the dreadful 9.

Still not convinced though, would be expensive.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Upgrade to 10 speed or wait for 11 speed???’ is closed to new replies.