Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • upgrade from my 5/10 impacts?
  • Stumpjumper
    Free Member

I’m looking for something to upgrade to from my old 5/10 impacts lows . Any recommendations? Are the teva’s as grippy? the 5/10’s are good but do weigh a ton when wet..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Vans or Etnies are good with flat pedals.

proberts
    Free Member
    HermanShake
    Free Member

5ten freeriders (newer stitched sole), a bit less spongelike than impacts and a bit sleeker too. I have the purple, the Danny Macs look good 🙂

cookeaa

Can you still get resoles done with the stealth dotty rubber?

If low weight is the goal I reckon a pair of Greeflash with Stealth rubber, then just MTFU and take the pain, while your arches get fall apart…

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

what size are you? 18bikes have the baron on sale in size UK8 only, supposed to be a cross between an Impact and a freerider, and a chunk cheaper than either.

http://shop.18bikes.co.uk/products.php?plid=m18b0s378p1142

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Hmm, I like the Teva’s . Not that fussed on weight of shoes. something a little less chunky than the impacts would be nice. I like the barons you selling “crashtestmonkey”. i’m about an 8.5ish. Will check the size of my 510’s.

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Bigger, my 510’s are a size 9..

wl
    Free Member

As far as I know of, nothing grips like an Impact, Tevas included. Happy to be proved wrong through.

Stumpjumper
    Free Member

Hmm, ok – so how about a 5/10 baron compared to a 5/10 impact. They seem ideal. Less clunky than an impact. still grippy as s@#t..
    And red..

Anyone running barons?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

As far as I know of, nothing grips like an Impact, Tevas included. Happy to be proved wrong through.

You’re probably right, hence there’s much better shoes available

Northwind

Freeriders make more sense (so far at least). Better wet weather manners, less clumpy sole, and a wee bit less grip. Still more than is required mind but not as silly as the Impacts.

Mine seem better made than my old Impacts (which were crap, frankly) but time will tell there I guess.

devs
    Free Member

I got both. tevas not as grippy, or as warm, or as waterproof (lol) but they do dry out quicker. I use the Tevas for long wet rides but otherwise Impacts are still king.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

i believe from reading MTBR articles and reviews that the Baron sole is the same rubber as the Freerider, which is different to the (more grippy) S1 stuff on the Impact.

http://forums.mtbr.com/all-mountain/5-10-impact-vs-freerider-707567.html

Very tempted as my AM40s are wearing at an alarming rate, and I disliked Impacts as I found the sole too stiff and lacking feel.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘upgrade from my 5/10 impacts?’ is closed to new replies.