Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Upgrade from Mavic Aksium wheels?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

My road bike has Aksium Disc One wheels

Not the lightest

What would be a good upgrade for not too much £££

mboy
    Free Member

Depends what “not too much ££££” is…

To be honest, especially as disc brake road wheels are relatively new, there’s not a lot out there on the market yet. Seems to be a decent number of high end wheels, and the inevitable entry level stuff, but not much worth bothering with in the mid range as yet.

Right now, I’d build my own based on 24h DT Swiss 350 hubs and Light Bikes 35mm deep rims probably. Should manage to get that lot built for about £600. Double your money though and the Reynolds Assault Disc wheels are the mutts nuts for sure.

akira

Hunt do some nice disc wheels.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks – was hoping to spend less than that as I doubt I’ll get £100 for the Mavics

davosaurusrex

I asked a similar question (non-disc Aksiums) a while back and was generally advised it’s not worth it. Obviously that wasn’t the answer I wanted to hear so ignored it and bought some sale Fulcrums for £300. It’s not worth it. I think you’d want to shed 400g minimum to even consider it.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Looks like Hunt do some 4 season wheels for about £350 which are 1600g

Think my Mavics are closer to 2kg

wilburt
    Free Member

What are you looking to achieve?

mafiafish
    Free Member

Superstar elite 30s were great if they still make them. Very cheap and Kysrium weight. I ditched mine for chinese carbon tubulars as I didn’t se much point spending more on alloy clinchers.

sleigh62
    Free Member

Kinesis crosslight v3’s are supposed to be pretty light at a claimed 1560g
    Cheapest I could see on line are £235

Google search comes up with quite a few options on where to get them from.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Are you looking for weight saving?
    OEM tyres and tubes can be very heavy.

I upgraded Aksium (rim brakes) to RS80s with GP4000 tyres and race tubes. Tyres/tubes saved more than the wheels.
    Package was about 650g lighter. Weight your tyres and tubes and take it from there if looking for light weight.

kerley
    Free Member

If looking to get cheap light wheels you really need to build your own (and it really isn’t difficult)

You should be able to build a set of wheels around 1500 grams for under £200. That would save you almost 500g so a good amount of weight off whole bike. How much you would notice it is another matter but it is still 500g.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Upgrade from Mavic Aksium wheels?’ is closed to new replies.