Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)
  • Update since the 80's about what to do in the event of a nuclear strike?
  • forzafkawi
    Free Member

colonel wax – Member

I saw a documentary a few years ago that showed you could survive by getting inside a fridge. It looked like it was from the 50’s so probably had lead or something in it.

That’s how Indiana Jones did it!

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Overheard a woman yesterday describing how her mate has started digging a huge hole in her garden for a nuclear bomb shelter.

The mind boggles

Speeder

Living about 2 miles from GCHQ I don’t think it’s even worth thinking about. 😯

xc-steve
    Free Member

The internet will still work though yeah?

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I imagine John you’d pleasantly* surprised by your survival chances.

Even if they’re running sbirs (or more mundane early warning and tracking) from up there it would likely be a “conventional” (non launched low yield – easier to get a bin lorry up there than a cruise missile, let alone a multi stage rocket- to disable rather than needing to destroy) preemptive strike to minimise defensive capability and tracking of icbms which would then launch on primaries. nukes would be hitting command and control, launch sites and infrastructure which are useful in the aftermath (major train lines/junctions/depots, airfields, motorways etc). In a post nuclear world a listening and tracking station hasn’t much to do, it’s usefulness being largely outlived (and arguably mission failed)

(though of course anyone launching at the UK has a big enough arsenal and range to be fairly free in their target designation without too much concern over value, or has smuggled one in so would go for a major pop. centre for maximum retweets)

Drac

Never did like it, lack of ammunition I think. Was more of a melee fighter on the fall out games, one punch man.

Good for taking out hordes or a last minute all else is lost, I choose to snipe.

jolmes
    Free Member

Overheard a woman yesterday describing how her mate has started digging a huge hole in her garden for a nuclear bomb shelter

Clearly been watching Colin Furze doing his mental projects. Bit of inspiration

slowoldman

Coke and hookers, quickly.

project
    Free Member

Be quite intresting in the few minutes before the internet goes off, to see whos asking about tyres/lights/neighbour problems/plumbing or other stuff.

As they probably be so imersed in the above stuff not to listen to the news.

Then bang no more responces.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Save scrolling endlessly in the evenings over Pron eh..

funkmasterp

What wheel size for shredding the post apocalyptic gnar trails? Armageddon makes the trails come alive! Wasn’t duck and cover the advice in the old public service broadcasts?

matt_outandabout

Try to be the last to post on STW….. Knowing my luck, I would get cut off mid typ……………

bikebouy
    Free Member

Some great propaganda and insights into the Atomic Age..

funkmasterp

Uranium rush is making me chuckle for some reason. I always liked this from Robocop

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYGa9KZOy7c[/video]

Ooh and this one too

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60[/video]

project
    Free Member

Just waiting for “Blue Peter” to “make and show” a nuclear fallout shelter for Action man/Sindy and Barbie, other action man type dolls are available.

Also who will be posting their latest Strava score before the first bomb lands, eg a ride before armegeddon.

Poopscoop

Not sure where this thread was going to head really but as the op, being flippant about a subject most of us thought was pretty damned unlikely anytime soon…. Rather than 6 months into a new presidency, I suppose it could have gone anywhere!

Glad to see some humour even on a subject like this from you guys though! What else can you do? 🙂

Surprised no one has brought up a nuclear winter scenario yet?

mrmo
    Free Member

If there was a nuclear war have no need to worry, i live near GCHQ.

project
    Free Member

Now would be good to trade mark “Radio Active” for a product as its a name that will be on the front page of every paper for a few weeks or even just a day or two.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

The old films about what to do in the event of nuke war are hilarious in their naivety. Also bunker lovers could you imagine emerging from yr bunker to the devastation? I’d rather go in the first blast thanks – wd hate to think of my children trying to survive in that. I think all out nuke war unlikely due to mad. Personally I think trump and Kim should get in the ring and slug it out. Pay per view.

slowoldman

Personally I think trump and Kim should get in the ring and slug it out. Pay per view.

As Frankie suggested with the last bunch of nutters

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXWVpcypf0w[/video]

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I can see Catterick Garrison across the valley….dont think i’ll be making any plans….

StefMcDef
    Free Member

I live within a ten-mile radius of Portsmouth. I’m guessing I won’t have to worry too much about the zombie apocalypse aftermath.

Unless the Isle of Wight is as impervious to fallout as it is to triffids.

matt_outandabout

I’m stockpiling OEM Schwalbe tyres. If I survive the blast, I need some hard wearing tyres to get me through the nuclear winter. They’re rubber is so hard, it should see me through a few rides. Glentress will be empty…..

Viewing 24 posts - 41 through 64 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Update since the 80's about what to do in the event of a nuclear strike?’ is closed to new replies.