Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Update my old Trance. This work?
  • benz
    Free Member

So….I have a mint 2006 Trance lying in the back if the garage. Currently has Rev 426 130mm forks and 9mm qr front wheel. After putting on wide bars and short stem it feels a bit noodly at the front in comparison to my hardtail which runs 20mm front axle.

So…thinking about the most cost effective way of updating plus slackening the head angle a bit.

Sektor dual position coils with 120mm and 150mm travel seem a very good price and there are deals around on 15mm front, qr rear wheel sets too. Reckon thus will work just fine.

I know it’s old school but it’s much, much cheaper to do this than to buy a new 650b or similar bike.

The 426’s and existing qr Crossrides will be used to built up a hardtail for my daughter.

cjr61

I’m still fairly novice so wouldn’t comment on fork travel – I’m sure some engineering types will talk about relative stresses etc.

However in my simple approach I chucked some offset bushings on my old Marin attack trail and dropped a nice 1.5degrees of the front end. Only cost £20 too.

Hope that helps

vondally
    Free Member

I had an older trance so 2005 ish 100 mm rear with 140 pikes and then 150mm pace fighters, with 2.4 tyres, a real blast, great down pretty effective climber as well, no idea why I sold it…… the headtube did not rip off but who knows it might do

scaredypants

I had an older trance with a 140 u-turn pike on it

Hardly ever wound it down – bike was great (nearly “everybody” used to run longer than standard forks on them and I didn’t hear any(?) tales of snapped front ends. Replaced it with a Trance-X.

I’ve still got the frame and fork in the garage – I’ll build up again as a “mates” bike someday

benz
    Free Member

Ah well…in for a penny…..150mm Sektors and Shimano mt15 wheel set ordered….looking forward to trying some local trails next weekend on it.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve got the same frame, used to run it with 150mm u turn revs. Worked really well downhill, but even at 120mm i didn’t climb as well as it used to on 100mm forks IMO. Having said that now I’m used to riding longer travel bikes it will probably feel fine on the ups.

Been down Snowdon twice to round Scotland numerous times, wales etc and the frame was fine

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Update my old Trance. This work?’ is closed to new replies.