Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • UPDATE: I Am Losing My Father
  • SaxonRider

In light of this thread from two weeks ago, and the moving and compassionate responses I received, I wanted to say by way of an update that my father passed away this morning in a hospice.

This has been an indescribably difficult time, with both wonderful opportunities to share combined with unbearable suffering, but the care people have shown is beyond what I could have expected.

I have been on the other side of the ‘pastoral divide’ uncountable times, but this is the first time I have suffered such an acute loss, and the way people have responded to my dad, my mum, myself, and the rest of my family, is incredible. It really does increase one’s faith in humanity.

In any case, thanks to the lot of you who have expressed such kind words.

P.S. I would also hold up the staff at my dad’s local hospice, and the local hospital as absolute saints. As a family, we are thankful to everything they all did.

Drac

My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Sounds like he is at rest now and out of the suffering.

scotroutes

So sad. Do remember to look after yourself.

molgrips
    Free Member

You have my sympathy. Give me a shout if you need anything at all.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Best wishes to you and your family. It’s tough but gets better and I’m sure you’ve got fantastic memories which will be with you always.

wwaswas

I’m sorry for your loss.

It’s good you have your family around you and a wider community you can turn to.

roper
    Free Member

I’m very sorry for you and your family. He must have been a marvelous person to have such an impact.
    It can be very humbling to see the care and love others offer when you need it too.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Very sorry to hear that.
    Been through that twice recently (mum and step dad). Keep talking to your family and keep an eye on yourself.

PiknMix
    Free Member

That’s very sad news, thoughts with you and your family.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

May he rest in peace and may you find it.

Its very tough IME – look after yourself.

Very sorry

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss, my thoughts to all your family.
    Take a little time for yourself in the coming days.

DezB
    Free Member

Sympathies from me too. Thanks for your message on my other thread, I was a bit too emotional to reply to you at the time.
    All the best mate.

mooman
    Free Member

Sorry to hear of your loss James. I missed the last thread.
    My thoughts are with you and your family.

mogrim

Very sorry to hear that. My sympathies.

martinhutch

Sorry to hear that. Best wishes.

jimw
    Free Member

So sorry. My deepest sympathy.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Sorry for your loss

scaredypants

Best wishes to you and yours SR

Remember the good stuff and, err, “be excellent to each other”

29erKeith
    Free Member

So sorry for your loss, been there and it’s hard going.

Which hospice? Do the have a charity\just giving page or anything?

Hospices do such good work and often really struggle for funding, every little helps with what they do and I’d happily put some cash their way, I’m sure others on here would too.

rascal
    Free Member

Hello Saxon

I know it’s no comfort to you right now, but I know exactly how you feel right now. Funnily enough I’m preparing to go back ‘home’ to S Wales tomorrow to see close family. It’s a year since my mum passed away from cancer. It’s gone so quickly and I sometimes I still can’t believe she’s not here…it does get easier but still tough too. Not a ‘poor me’ but just saying you’ll get through it…Rascal (no real appropriate emoticons I’m afraid).

senorj

Sorry for your loss.

chewkw
    Free Member

Sorry to hear about your father.

RIP

SaxonRider

@29erKeith

Thanks for that. To you, and to all who are interested, the hospice is Springhill in Rochdale. I have looked it up, and think that this is their justgiving page:

https://www.justgiving.com/springhillhospice

If not, do look them up. The people that work there are incredible, and made a difficult time more bearable.

MarinNo8
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear this. My condolences to you and your lovely family.

piemonster

Deepest sympathies, and take care of yourself

Bregante

Sorry for your loss SaxonRider. My mum worked at Springhill Hospice many years ago.

willard

I’m really sorry for your loss. There’s not much I can add that people have not already said, but please accept my deepest sympathies.

project
    Free Member

Best wishes for the future, ben there and its not a nice place, death that is, not Rochdale, remember your dad as memories of past times, hacve a cry and chat to people who knew him as freinds.

As a word of warning the funral is upsetting, expect to cry andd get upset, its natural, dont lock in your feelings.

singletrackmind

Maybe an early morning blast on the bike ? A proper gnarr 40 mins then home for brekkie?
    The endorphins will help a little, I promise .
    Lost my dad 6 years ago, Funeral was difficult but afterwards felt like a huge weight was lifted.
    Get hammered once , then stay off the beers , won’t help in reality just be a useless prop .
    My condolances . STM .

1981miked
    Free Member

So sorry for your loss Saxon, I have posted on DezB’s thread aswell, hang on to the memories as they will help you through this difficult time.

Sending you wifi man hugs aswell. Stay strong mate.

I’m actually going to see my Dad this weekend and tell him I love him.. Time is precious.

chip
    Free Member

Really sorry to hear you lost your father.
    Condolences to you and your family, especially your mum.

ElShalimo

I lack the vocabulary and eloquence to say what needs to be said but look after yourself, keep a close eye on your mother and best wishes for the coming months.
    There is no right or wrong way to grieve, just do what you can, do what you need to do and take it one day at a time. Your memories of happier times together should be cherished. Bereavement counselling can be helpful, maybe not today but in 3,6,9,12 months from now.
    Take care

jamj1974

I’m so sorry for your loss. Take care!

29erKeith
    Free Member

Done, sorry the hospice name got auto corrected by my phone and I can edit it sorry.

Anyway all the best. Stay strong

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Stand down SaxonSnr.
    Thoughts are with you at this tough time.
    Like riding, it never gets easier, you just come to (try) and accept the loss.
    12yrs this year for me, and it still hurts like it was yesterday.

cakefacesmallblock

So sorry. My sympathies.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘UPDATE: I Am Losing My Father’ is closed to new replies.