Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Up and over garage door, what paint??
  • flashes
    Free Member

Normal gloss or is there anything a bit better for longevity? I’m heeding the comments when I post pics of bikes, etc….

Kahurangi

I did mine in the Hammerite straight on to metal stuff, with a metallic ‘hammered’ finish. Took 2 coats (green on to white) but looks good although it’s tricky to apply it just right so that it’s thick enough to congeal in to the hammered look without running.

I could take a photo when I get home if you’re really interested.

//edit – it’s actually at the bottom of my garden next to the wheelie bins and bike shed, hence the decision for this style of paint. Might not be what you’re after for a normal garage door, but I figured I wouldn’t be able to achieve a finish with normal satin or gloss that I’d be happy with unless I used a spray gun.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just went with the B&Q garage door paint. Went on OK but invest time with the preparation. I didn’t invest enough and there were patches that it didn’t take as well.

gavinpearce
    Free Member

Depends what its made of. I would suggest as noted above preparation is key. For a really good finish you should remove all the existing paint, wash down with a oil and grease emulsifier and rinse. When completely dry use a specific primer for the base material then undercoats and top coats – I used two coats Dulux Weathershield over galvanised primer and it lasted over 8 years (until I changed the door).

mark90
    Free Member

I used Wickes exterior gloss for metal and wood on top of a micaceous iron oxide primer. Lasted well for a couple of years before I sold the house. No reason to think it’s not still going as it was looking as good as the day I did it.

But as above preparation is the key, as it is with any paint.

flashes
    Free Member

Just finished scraping and hosing. I think the paint that’s left on will stay put. So I’ll let it dry and start. Can you get a primer / undercoat paint, or did I imagine that?

Felofagen
    Free Member

I used Wickes metal paint on a steel garage door after removing the loose, peeled old paint. Shortly after it peeled again and looked as bad as before.

In the end I used Hammerite garage door paint together with the recommended Hammerite primer. Worked a treat

mark90
    Free Member

I used Wickes metal paint on a steel garage door after removing the loose, peeled old paint. Shortly after it peeled again and looked as bad as before.

Was is dark blue? Did you not bother with any prep at all? Did the guy next door have a lovely green garage door that he spent ages prep’ing and painting? Did I used to live next door to you? 😉

ourmaninthenorth

Farrow and Ball exterior paint, as it happens.

Over a properly prepared and primed door, obviously. Just a shame my brother in law spilled paint on the driveway….

reformedfatty
    Free Member

I did mine in some ‘outdoor’ paint that was left in the garage when we moved in.

Preparation is key, for example – do sort out any peeling paint using perhaps, a random orbit sander.

If your random orbit sander decides to implode part way through, absolutely do not use a belt sander that was also left in the garage

A suitably thick coat of paint has not quite managed to cover the gouges left by said sander. No peeling though!

FuzzyWuzzy

Used Hammerite garage door paint to, didn’t do much prep other than a quick wash, old paint wasn’t peeling though just really faded. It’s lasted 12 years so far and still good (but fading a bit)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Up and over garage door, what paint??’ is closed to new replies.