Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • up and over
  • jag61

planning to remove old knackered garage door and frame and replace with steel fire door and blockwork. Its one with a torsion spring over the door head. Anyone know how to remove one safely?( or even unsafely) thanks

Squirrel

Dynamite. Worked for Butch Cassidy 😀

surfer
    Free Member

I did mine a few weeks ago. The broken spring was no problem removing and I managed to create enough slack in the unbroken one, which was probably quite stretched anyway, to remove that safely.
    You should be ale to disconnect the cable from the bottom of the door when it is open to create some slack. If its tensioned I think it would be a problem.

Installing the new ones was a bit more interesting I found it easier to remove the unit above the door opening totally and with the help of a mate installed the springs when the unit was lying flat. That bit wasnt too difficult to attach the new ones.

pnik

Unhook the cable from sides if its like ours and stand back…

More safely theres a youtube video i saw when ours got screwed up, you can stick a nail in by cones somewhere that locks the spring i think, assuming its a Henderson or similar. The spring is fierce so be super careful though.

Edit: i should add i eventually got scared and paid a professional to do ours.

lesgrandepotato

Presumably with the garage door up so the spring is not under tension..

twicewithchips
    Free Member

yeah, there;s a pin that you move from one hole to another that locks the spring. Or just snip the wires and it’ll go twang!
    (oh, what pnik said more or less)

surfer
    Free Member

Edit: i should add i eventually got scared and paid a professional to do ours.

snigger

jag61

thanks all I will check out u tube .but quick look suggest i could cut the frame fixings to the brickwork give it a good push and there you are door flat on floor still in the frame? If it looks like getting really dangerous I shall of course video it 😉

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Dynamite. Worked for Butch Cassidy

as long as you remember..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘up and over’ is closed to new replies.