Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Unwritten rules of the road/trail/hill
  • dufresneorama
    Free Member

When out riding I always tend to say a wee 'hello' or 'morning' or even a happy nod to other cyclists/walkers I pass.

I know this is the case when out hill walking or just pottering around the countryside and most people greet me back.

Three cyclists I pass everyday ignore my salutations…rude?

robgarrioch

Probably in 'THEZONE', thousand yard staring to the podiums of the future… Not replying to a greeting is rude though.

Unwritten Rule of the Past – ride on the left….
    (how hard does opposite-direction passing need to be?)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Let's have this thread again. It never disappoints. 🙂

sofatester
    Free Member

Not to post on the internet when someone doesn't say "hello" 😉

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

meh, Belgium is chock full of roadies, even the mountianbikers are mostly roadies in between Road and CX seasons. They rarely say a haloo. Maybe it's rude, maybe they're working too hard to take the time. I don't care much

unwritten rule(s);

– Skids neither big nor clever and are strictly for kids
    – Put shorts over that lycra, no-one wants to see your @rse, especially when the lycra gets all old and see thru 😯
    – Ride for fun, if you get fit along the way, great
    – Given that the border between biked and overbiked is an opinion; That I am riding this bike means that I am, by my own definition, perfectly biked, thank you very much. you maybe overbiked, but I am not
    – n=b+1 (can't believe I almost forgot that one)

Gary_M
    Free Member

Yawn

tobyho
    Free Member

Your mate – you wait.

That's our motto when a new 'mate of a mate' rider new turns up.

oldgit
    Free Member

Harsh but fair tobyho.

ro
    Free Member

always give way to mtb'ers with discs. they're either having a brake failure or on their way to having a brake failure…

oldgit
    Free Member

Never ever chase ME down then overtake and sit up. I get unreasonably annoyed when people do this.
    If I'm not in a race I ain't racing.

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

Don't tailgate me into a set of jumps, it'll end in tears.
    If I'm clearing trail debris don't charge straight into/at me (edit- usually from behind me) and start yelling at the last possible minute that I'm in the way.

If is stop and fix your bike when the mech is spread all over the road and your ten miles from home say thanks and maybe talk to me instead of starring at me like a dumb animal- you know who you are young man on the A60.

backhander
    Free Member

n=b+1

I thought it was pb=n+1
    pb = perfect number of bikes
    n = no of bikes curently owned

Trail rules (my version);
    Give way to faster riders as soon as is safe.
    Let slower riders know if you are behind them.
    Always offer assistance to broken down (or injured) riders.

Cougar

The faster / slower rider thing interests me greatly.

I should perhaps explain, I'm relatively new to all this (incidentally, is there somewhere I could post an introduction or something?) Whilst I am learning, I'm not as fast a rider as some and I try desperately hard to be courteous and give way to faster riders coming from behind, especially on trails where a section of track is shared between people doing different grades of routes. So, it'd be very helpful for me if some of the double-black guys didn't treat me like pondlife in the process as they come hurtling past. I'm not saying everyone does it, quite the opposite as most riders I've met have been lovely, but every so often you get a clown and it's really intimidating and frustrating.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my thinking is that I've as much right to be there as anyone else, and both the trail literature and countless years of driving experience seem to agree that the person behind should give way to the person in front, but from the way some people barge past you'd think I'd stopped for a picnic in the middle of the singletrack.

Top tip to those guys, I'm not psychic, if you shout I will get out of the way pretty much immediately.

tron
    Free Member

At any trail centre, there will always be a bloke on a couple of grand's worth of full sus, with his girlfriend struggling to keep up on a hire bike with a face like thunder.

There will also always be at least one old bloke still riding a Klein Mantra or monocoque / elevated chainstay hardtail from 1995. Normally with an astonishing paint job.

oldgit
    Free Member

cougar you'll always get those types.
    Example, soloing the SITS and I was keeping tight right on some wide doubletrack as I was cream crackered. Someone from behind shouts on your right…ON YOUR RIGHT. Are you kidding I said as there was a good seven foot flat smooth wide gap on the left….on your right I hear again, I told him to **ck off.
    I shall never ever forget that idiot. Gave him the Armstrong to Ulrich stare as I climbed past him on the hill metres later.

For those who know, the first hill after the doubletrack quite near the start at SITS just to point out how stupid the guy was.
    Edit. Point is never assume a slower rider is slow, if you know what I mean.

oldgit
    Free Member

Sorry Cougar.
    A cautionary warning, it might be wise to check over your shoulder if someones having a word from behind. And not throw a banana skin at the voice without checking, it might be a marshal in a race vehicle 😯 he wasn't happy with me.

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

n=b+1

n=number of bikes you need
    b=number of bikes you have

I would think that;

pb=? …. or as close to as makes no difference

montylikesbeer

Always aim for at least a "five pint'er" at the end of your ride.

Rehydrate, you know it makes sense.

Cougar

Arf (-:

TBH, I wouldn't mind if someone had a word from behind rather than just hurtling past like their head's on fire and giving me about 3mm of clearance, at least I'd know the buggers were there.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Other cyclists normally fine when you give warning to which side your coming past….walkers on the other hand hear a voice then wobble a bit before running blindly in any direction.

freegan…i done a skid the other day, first for about 13 years. It was slicker than snot.

Got a big "hello" and a smile back from a smokin' hottie roadie earlier, glad she didn't apply the hide the lycra rule 😉

Cougar

Mixed use trails are the worst for that. Last time we were at Delamere I was convinced someone was following us with a spaniel cannon.

That, and the large family that decided that halfway down the red route was a great place to dump their bikes in the middle of the track and organise a game of hide and seek ..o..O

Cougar

(actually, that might have been Gisburn thinking about it. Point still stands, anyway.)

BermBandit
    Free Member

There is only one true rule and it is good:-

Don't through your actions spoil the enjoyment of others.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Unwritten rule #187
    If you're going to blast past me on the road/trail at least try and get 20 feet in front of me before you blow up spectacularly after expending all that wasted energy looking 'good'/'fats'/'fit' (note: I'm not of them)

I tend to either a) have a rest behind them or b) turn down a sidestreet pretending to be home or c) feign a mechanical

highclimber
    Free Member

is it rude to request people to 'Move out the F***ing way!!!'?

dufresneorama
    Free Member

highclimber – not if you say 'please' 😉

Jellybaby
    Free Member

Shout 'last man' when you're the last through the gate!

I once held a gate for a good 10-15 mins waiting for someone who had a mechanical only to find there was no-one left and the rest of the group had gone too. The guy who had the problem had already passed with his mates. I didn't know everyone in the group and there were about 47 of us! I was left all on my own 😥

angryratio
    Free Member

always ensure when doing a mid ride wizz you don't do it in the middle of the trail

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Unwritten rules of the road/trail/hill’ is closed to new replies.