Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Unwittingly handling stolen bikes / bits
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi all,

Just been reading a few posts that got me thinking, what would be my rights if I found out a bike or parts that I had purchased second hand were stolen?

I would feel morally obliged to contact the original owner if at all possible but I wonder what would happen next…

What should happen next?

Contact insurance company? police? What if I can’t get back in touch with the guy that I got the bike / bits from? Am I screwed or is the original owner……

Any thoughts?

scaredypants

you’re screwed financially but not “criminally”, I believe

DrDomRob
    Free Member

So there is no come back at all?

What about if I do get back in touch with the guy that I bought it from, I guess I could sue him for what I paid…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    andyl
    Free Member

would I be jumping to conclusions if I checked your post history and spotted a potential purchase off someone who just sells stuff and doesnt give an email address?

and yup, you stand to lose the item but should be okay in the eyes of the law if you do the right thing. But I have no legal qualifications.

If you can’t trace the original owner the police may hold the item for so long and then give it you back. If the owners insurance paid out then it is now their property so you could negotiate with them maybe.

seavers
    Free Member

I would say you would be out of pocket with out a doubt, if you contacted the police and told them you have reason to believe you bought stolen goods they may ask you why you did so in the first place! If the sale was in good faith of the parts being genuine you will prob be ok, especially if you can give them the details of the seller. They will prob look on you favorably for being honest and coming forward.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Yes Andyl you would be!!!

I was looking at my bike and realised that all the parts apart from the frame are second hand, then browsing through the forum saw there had been a few bike thefts.

I am not accusing anyone on here! I wana make that clear!!!!!

andyl
    Free Member

Phew. Always scary to think of people selling stuff right under our noses.

tbh individual components are going to be very hard to prove either way unless there is something really unique. Always be very suspicious of places like Gumtree and ebay. If something seems too good to be true then it probably is.

Do you have a strong link to a theft topic to parts you have bought elsewhere?

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Not personally,

I know of people who have bought cars that have turned out to be stolen, a couple have managed to get their money back, but not all.

It was just something I thought about whilst avoiding other far more important matters.

Sorry, no juicy gossip I’m afraid!

andyl
    Free Member

get back to your thesis then!

tbh it is risk everyone takes buying 2nd hand. Very hard to protect against it. If you buy a car then do a HPI check and get someone who knows what they are doing to inspect the VIN plates etc.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

🙁

Andyl, you are my supervisor and I claim my £5

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Unwittingly handling stolen bikes / bits’ is closed to new replies.