Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Unusual things to do for a day in london in December (help)
  • xcgb
    Free Member

Hi All
    I am looking to take the missus to a show in the smoke and want to make a day of it. anyone got any ideas of unusual things to do regarding history or architecture, or food! things off the normal tourist trail type of stuff!

It will be in early december but mid week

Any ideas appreciated!

Ta

theotherjonv

Borough Market is nice for a couple of hours of food related stuff, not sure how many stalls are there midweek though. Was jampacked the last time I went but that was a Saturday.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wallace Collection

Jerome
    Free Member

Tate modern then across bridge to jamies new restuarant that opens in a few weeks.
    Assuming you like meat..
    J.

geoffj

Oxo Tower?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jerome, try the Paternoster Chop House instead of lining the pockets of that wide mouthed mockney ****monkey.

theotherjonv

(just checked – BM is Thurs – sat only)

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers for the fast relies guys!
    it will be a Weds, wallace collection looks interesting, Paternoster Chop House looks great too i may well do that one!

mogrim

Kew Gardens then boat back into town?

(Second thread this week I recommend Kew Gardens on…)

xcgb
    Free Member

Mogrim not sure about that in December though?

mossimus
    Free Member

Chop House is a good idea but personally I would go to the Butler’s Wharf Chop House, same chain but nicer views.

Another place doing traditional English food with a great cider selection is here.

mogrim

Mogrim not sure about that in December though?

If it’s not raining it’ll be fine, Kew’s gorgeous in winter, especially the hot houses 🙂

The boat might be a bit chilly, and tbh I’m not sure it runs in winter.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chimes! One of my local haunts! Great cider, but the food’s gone a little downhill of late. Try Gastronomica across the road for some lovely cheese and charcuterie, with very Italian service….

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Why not try the Geffrye Museum? It’s only a little place, but it’s got a fascinating collection of home interiors and suff, dating back to 1600.

Then, if you’re in the EastEnd, the Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood (part of the V+A) is not far away by bus.

Another short bus hop to Whitechapel takes you to the Royal London Hospital Museum; which houses the skeleton of the Elephant Man, Joseph Merrick.

Then, right, I’d suggest lunch at Tayyabs; surely one of London’s finest curry houses. Fantastic value for money, and actually a bit of modern East End history in itself! Plus, it’s just next door to Tower House, where George Orwell once stayed.

After lunch, you have the option of heading back into central London, where of course there are many many wonderful things to discover, or perhaps to Greenwich, to the Royal Observatory, Naval College and Maritime Museum. There are some nice restarauts and pubs nearby, mypersonal fave, the Greenwich Union on Royal Hill is worth seeking out. Locally brewed beer, that Flashy will tell you is top-notch.

And then, what better than a nice romantic cruise on the Thames Clipper, back into town, with the sun setting…

Get an Oyster card, and you won’t spend that much on travel (is valid on Thames Clipper, will be about £5 back into the centre). Food and drink; again, you’d be surprised considering it’s London.

That’ll be a top day out, that. I reckon. 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

Elfinsafety

Cheers for all that!

I have tried to get into Tayabbs once before but queue was horrendous, maybe on a winter weds it will be ok

rootes1

Kew Gardens then boat back into town?

yer palm house etc just the job on a winters day

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I picked up a takeaway from Tayyabs only this last Sunday, after a show/launch thing in Brick Lane (ooh how trendy am I? 8) ) One of the blokes who runs it told me lunchtimes are less busy, so yes you might be in luck. Worth a ring to reserve a table possibly.

Looking at my list, you’d be too tired by the evening and probbly fall asleep during the show! 😳 But some of it would be fun, I can guarantee you that.

TBH there’s just too much to recommend really.

xcgb
    Free Member

Worth a ring to reserve a table possibly.

pretty sure tayabbs don’t do reservations

stumpy01

Depending on how much you were thinking of spending……I took her indoors to Claridge’s for afternoon tea last week for her Birthday. It was pricey, but we had a great time and it’s a really nice treat.

If the theatre is near the Strand, there’s a great tapas bar called Barrafina if you wanted to get some food in before the show (or after, I guess). Can’t remember exactly where it is, but it’ll come up on a Google.
    You can’t book, there’s about 20 seats around the bar & you watch the chef prepare your food while you sit there. It can be busy as it’s pretty popular but if you are nearby it’s worth wandering down to, just to see if there’s a couple of empty seats.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No they do, they do. There’s an online service, but I’d always ‘phone up too.

xcgb
    Free Member

Cheers stumpy that sounds like an idea for a pre theatre snack!

xcgb
    Free Member

Elf i stand corrected !

Thanks again

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Enjoy! 🙂

finnegan
    Free Member

Wallace Collection is a nice combination of museum and decent lunch in an interesting venue.

I second Barrafina (Frith St) – excellent tapas (actually I suspect the best meal Mrs F and I have eaten in the last year was sat outside under their space heater and awning in Janaury while it rained). Usually very busy, though.

Sir John Soanes museum – you won’t regret it.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Chiswick House, then Kew Gardens, then Ham House. Food? The finest curry HAS to be in Hounslow or Southall.

gio80
    Free Member

There’s a brazilian bar/restaurant around Camden town, but I don’t recall the name.. They have this chilli chocolate cocktail that is delightful… For a cultural program I would suggest any london museum, there’s loads to choose from for every taste.

nasher
    Free Member

take the clipper to greenwich…stopping along the way, but take the DLR back…pretty amazing is the docklands area.

donsimon
    Free Member

Don’t people read the titles and first posts anymore? 😆

TheBrick
    Free Member

2nd the Thames Clipper.

Also a bit of an arse to get to but the Horiman museum is worth a visit.

http://www.horniman.ac.uk/ One of the best Museum in London.

TheBrick
    Free Member

RE Food: Green Lanes has some excellent Turkish places to eat, again not central but worth the trip. Drummond street, if you want reasonable priced food central, much better than Brick lane for your Curry needs.

Guided walks can be interesting too and a good way to be shown some history.

nicko74

Why tf has this been resurrected, given that he wanted something to do in London in *December*?! He’s been and gone, and if the OP had any sense he would’ve taken her up the OXO tower…

CountZero

…and if the OP had any sense he would’ve taken her up the OXO tower…

Pics?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Unusual things to do for a day in london in December (help)’ is closed to new replies.