• This topic has 21 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by mefty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Unusual polling stations
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Coming back from a ride at Rivington earlier and I saw an official polling station in someone’s garage just outside Standish.

Is that normal? I always thought they were in schools etc.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Amusing letter in the paper this morning saying, and I paraphrase, if education is so important to politicians why do we shut down all the schools for election day?

IdleJon

Closing schools on election days drives me up the wall.

We have plenty of chapels and churches around here, why not use them. Indeed, why not use a coffee shop or pub? Turnout might be higher then.

MoreCashThanDash

Stopped using the schools do and here, now use a local cricket pavilion that doubles as the parish hall.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Do the schools actually close? Or just close a bit? Our nursery closes for the day rather than the local community centre or chapel though. Not sure why… but the rest of the school is open.

al

There is a pub in Corsham (nr Bath) that is a polling station.

lemonysam
    Free Member

We have plenty of chapels and churches around here,

You can’t think of anyone who might find it a bit uncomfortable to go to vote in a church?

theotherjonv

You’re going to vote, not worship.

I’m not religious in the slightest but I like looking at Cathedrals, mosques, synagogues, gurdwaras, for their architectural significance.

And in any case, most usually it’s a parish hall, not an actual place of worship

{edit, and in any any case, excepting the total fruitcake fundamentalists, most religious types are happy to accept the existence and even embrace the ideas of other religions. Plenty of non-CofE types turned up to the Cambridge’s wedding, to the Archie of C’s investiture, etc. just as the AofC went to the pope’s funeral}

cinnamon_girl

First time I’ve ever cast a vote in such a building and couldn’t resist a chuckle. 😀 Sorry but not spilling the beans!

lemonysam
    Free Member

excepting the total fruitcake fundamentalists

Why?

gonefishin
    Free Member

and I paraphrase, if education is so important to politicians why do we shut down all the schools for election day?

To which the answer is, we don’t.

theotherjonv

Why?

because they aren’t happy to accept the idea that other religions can co-exist. I thought that was clear enough.

And frankly, while I can accept that people of various religions have absolutely equal and justifiable right to live in the Uk and practice their religions, if we can’t use a dusty parish hall as a polling station because it creates a problem for a tiny proportion of fruitcake fundamentalists – frankly they should be disbarred from voting anyway because they aren’t behaving like proper tolerant British citizens anyway.

Anyway, this isn’t a religion thread, it’s odd polling stations. And I for one can’t believe that C-G is claiming she’s never been in a strip club before. Although i can accept she maybe didn’t ‘cast a vote’ on her last visit.

cinnamon_girl

Definitely not theotherjonv ! 😀

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I was about 2 minutes from setting up my polling station in the back of the car until the guy came running up to open the TA centre we were meant to be using….

aracer
    Free Member
    Northwind

lemonysam – Member

You can’t think of anyone who might find it a bit uncomfortable to go to vote in a church?

Vampires?

IdleJon

We have plenty of chapels and churches around here,

You could be right, but I was thinking more of the chapels that we have around here which have been converted into other uses. Community halls, gyms, that sort of thing. The local vampires are happy enough to use the gym/boxing hall/ex-chapel. 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well theres a Brutalist “village hall” up in deepest North Harrogate near Fawston Reservoir (sure some will know it) it sits on it’s own on a moor with 3 farms in a radius of ohhhh 4 miles.. It’s an odd looking building sitting in the middle of nowhere.. Today it was a poling station and had 4 cars outside.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

My polling station is world famous…

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Coming back from a ride at Rivington earlier and I saw an official polling station in someone’s garage just outside Standish

I saw that this morning! Was riding out to Southport for Fish & Chips (its an excuse) when I saw the little sign & then the set up in the garage!

loddrik
    Free Member
    mefty
    Free Member

ours was/still is a church, not the hall which has been used in the past.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Unusual polling stations’ is closed to new replies.