Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Unusual agency (teaching) practice – accountancy advice
  • highclimber
    Free Member

I’ve just started with a supply agency and I have a few concerns about the way I get paid. I don’t think I’ll get a straight answer from the company so I’m hoping someone on here can tell me if i’m being stiffed.

Basically, The agency uses an ‘umbrella’ company for payroll. I work, submit timesheets and expenses and I get paid minus their fees, NI and PAYE. All well and good (apart from the fee they charge, that is!). But, The expenses I submit (subsistence and mileage) gets used to ‘offset’ my tax and NI conts – this is the bit I really don’t understand and, frankly, sounds a little dodgy.

Can anyone tell me how such a scheme works?

I don’t intend on being with the agency for much longer than a couple months but I am worried as I am also registered as self employed and I don’t fancy getting stung for tax. I’ve asked if I can invoice directly, but the umbrella company said that isn’t possible.

bokonon
    Free Member

Sounds like Protocol National – I’d check with the tax office.

grizedaleforest

In principle this is fine. The Agency should have some dispensation from HMRC to do this – it’s how it worked for me when I was an IT contractor. If you’re being allowed to claim travel and subsistence you need to meet HMRC criteria for a ‘temporary’ workplace. Other expenses tend to depend on what your job is

lunge

Fine and normal for an umbrella company. Not out of the ordinary at all.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Unusual agency (teaching) practice – accountancy advice’ is closed to new replies.