Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Unused bike bits – build with or sell?
  • dmck16
    Free Member

I’ve gradually accumulated a selection of old components that are sitting unused.

What would STW do?

Would it be worth putting something together?
    How about a bike for the pump track?
    Or just move them on for a few quid?

Off the top of my head, I’ve got the following:
    -Sram X0 rear mech (10sp, short).
    -XT cassette and chain (used but OK condition).
    -36t chainring 104bcd.
    -Gamut bash guard.
    -Thomson Elite 30.9 inline post.
    -26″ Mavic 317 on Hope Pro II hubs, 15mm front,135/12 rear (a couple of dings, but true).
    -Fox Float 32 fork, 140mm, tapered.

bruneep

I’d work out how I could put a stealth ad on main forum.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’d work out how I could put a stealth ad on main forum.

This.

dmck16
    Free Member

If I intended to sell them then I’d just put them up for sale in the classifieds.

But, as you can clearly see, this is a post asking whether it’s worth trying to build a bike with what’s lying around.
    Considering I’ve never put a bike together from scratch, it would be prudent to tap into some experience.

Ben_H

I thin it depends on whether you want a couple of hundred quid in your pocket and some more space, or whether you’d prefer to spend a few hundred quid and have to store another bike!

Personally, unless I had the need for a hack bike, I’d sell the parts.

shermer75
    Free Member

Sell sell sell. It feels good to have a clearout! 🙂

tomhoward

How many offers have you had so far?
    (If it’s not a stealth ad, why put very specific details about the parts you have, like the bcd of the chainring, the length of the mech cage, or diameter of the post…)

riklegge

What i normally do in this situation:
    1) buy a frame for the parts
    2) spend quite a bit on extra parts I’d forgotten I’d need or somehow thought would be cost free
    3) swap all the original parts out as they don’t suit the new frame
    4) end up with a new bike and a load of spare parts lying around
    5) repeat

dmck16
    Free Member

Cheers for the useful replies so far – seems like it can quickly become a false economy then?

The initial thought was for the pump track. So would need a dj type frame (that would take the tapered fork), bar & stem, rear brake, sram shifter, crank & BB.

@tomhoward – someone might look at that pile of bits and, for example, know that a certain frame could suit nicely.
    But, but, then the thread becomes a stealth want ad!! Jog on.

tpbiker
    Free Member

why would they need to know that the rear rim has a ‘few dings but true’?

😉

jamesoz

It depends, I have lots of parts and a few bikes and have in the past thought ‘I just need a set of cranks and I have another bike’.
    Trouble is when I build up an extra bike it becomes a noticeable thing. My other half just takes the piss when she notices an extra bike appear, however I’m aware others have issues with such things.
    I also always end up spending more than I thought I would.

garage-dweller

Riklegge are you me?

vincienup
    Free Member

OP,

The question is really ‘do you want to build a bike’?

You’re a stem, bars, brakes, frame, crank, tyres and clamps etc away from having a full build there although it’s going to be a 26er 1×10.

Personally, I’d take advantage of one of the excellent 26er frames that ‘nobody wants’ and build a bike, but I almost always build my own. If you have no intention of building then stop now and flog the parts before you spend 200-500 quid at least on parts to complete the build… (*unless opting for extreme bargain hunting, but £200 is probably as cheap as it will get)

mboy
    Free Member

Riklegge are you me?

I think Riklegge is all of us!

At least those who consider themselves true enthusiasts at least…

wiggles
    Free Member

Ive had a pair of deore cranks hanging around in my cupboards for about a year or so…

I am now in the process of building a new FS to use them…

cjr61

riklegge – Member
    What i normally do in this situation:
    1) buy a frame for the parts
    2) spend quite a bit on extra parts I’d forgotten I’d need or somehow thought would be cost free
    3) swap all the original parts out as they don’t suit the new frame
    4) end up with a new bike and a load of spare parts lying around
    5) repeat

Yup… that pretty sums my builds up perfectly! Nice one.

velocipede
    Free Member

My problems usually start with…..

“Seems a shame to leave those bars.on the bench and not use them…..”

and the whole cycle starts again!

I’m currently building around a set of easton ec70 carbon flat bars, if you must know!!!!

onandon
    Free Member

If you’re not turning that lot into another bike, you need to mans in your Man card and take up knitting.

trap6
    Free Member

I’ve the same conundrum,I’ve tapered forks with a 1 1/8 tube frame with most of the drive train albeit 9 spd,mishmash of odds sods,still could be interested in your mech if you are willing too sell.

MoreCashThanDash

Definitely try and sell.

Just built up a bike for LittleMissMC with parts off here. Surprised me how many people were keen to clear (very nice) stuff out that they were never going to use again, and just wanted to see stuff being used in return for postage plus a little bit. I’ve since done the same with some of my old bits.

More space, small amount of beer money, good karma for helping someone else ride with your old parts.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Unused bike bits – build with or sell?’ is closed to new replies.