Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Unthinking sexism in sport
  • RamseyNeil
    Free Member

How about the ” unthinking sexism ” where virtually every sport on telly now has a young attractive female hosting it irrespective of knowledge or previous achievement in the sport . Why do they have attractive women on the podium of every TDF stage ,purely eye candy adding nothing to the overall event ?

scotroutes

Two different issues there.

Having a female commentator can make the sport seem more attractive to women both as spectators and as participants. It makes the whole thing less of a “male-only” bastion.

The podium thing (TdF, F1 etc) is blatant sexism though

wiggles
    Free Member

What if the men went first then most of the crowd left before the women’s podium? Might be even worse…

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed. I came 2nd in a race today, but didn’t get a prize, whilst the person who was 3rd fastest paddling a particular type of kayak (and a long way behind me) did. Boatism, pah 🙁

Not sure what the issue with presentation order is though – in this race the women’s prize was given out after the men’s, but if anything that signified lesser status to the women – I don’t think there’s a standard on importance with presentation order.

Oh, and I’ve also been first man at a race, but not first overall – not a trivial or non physical race in any way, though admittedly quite a small field and the lady who won has held several overall long distance running records (which might make it obvious who I’m referring to for anybody who knows about such things).

paladin

Sexist having male and female categories. Ageist having different age categories…….

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Unthinking sexism in sport’ is closed to new replies.