• This topic has 18 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by PhilO.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Unruly Postal Staff
  • monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ok, could a postie or someone in the know please answer this.

Parcel Force try to deliver parcel, but I am out chasing unruly kids around the estate 😉

Goes to Post Office where next day Mrs goes to collect. She produces slip and ID (same surname and address etc)and gets told she can’t pick it up as its not me and the post office can’t give post over to another person. WTF! Shirley then my wife can’t sign for post delivered for me? Jobsworth or correct procedure?

wwaswas

I think she needs to produce some ID for you too.

It says all the rules on the card.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

No, checked the card, just says bring ID.

Jamie
    Free Member

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I think logic would dictate the ID needs to be of the person the parcel is addressed to.

But they will leave parcels with complete strangers 4 doors down the road?

That is a Royal Mail slip, the Parcel force one was blue and white and just says bring ID.

wwaswas

Jamie – top work with the photoshop, yet again 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

But they will leave parcels with complete strangers 4 doors down the road?

Who cares? We’re talking about you not reading the RM card properly 😛

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

😀

mrchrispy

Hey at least you know where the parcel is, if it was someone like yodel then you’d be truly bummed

Harry_the_Spider

I got a letter the other week addressed to Heaton Park Tram Depot.

I went outside and had a good look at my house… it does not look like Heaton Park Tram Depot.

There were no trams.

Or tracks.

Fig 1 : Tram Depot (Heaton Park).

Fig 2 : House

iamsporticus
    Free Member

2 years ago I went to the posties to collect 2 envelopes for my daughter

I had the cards and my own proof of ID

Firstly I admit that I may have got off on the wrong foot with the post lady

The shop was empty and she was having a conversation with the woman at another counter
    Im cool so allowed this to go on a little while whilst I was ignored

After what seemed ages I said something polite and really non confrontational to suggest she should serve me, like “hello” or “excuse me” I dont remember exactly

This instantaneously seemed to get her back up

The second I handed over the red cards I was told I needed ID for my daughter too, not just my own

If I wasnt mistaken she was definitely smirking at this point

Again politely I explained that I have given her photo ID and a utility bill proving I lived at the same address as the cards and also had the same surname

No dice – I needed proof of daughters ID too

The smirk seemed to get bigger

At this point I played my joker and explained that as the 2 envelopes I was collecting contained the new passport and original copy of birth certificate for my 8 year old child and what the bloody hell did she want me to do as to the best of my knowledge thats the only sodding ID she has bar whatevers the current equivalent of Tufty club membership

I won

And relax………..

project
    Free Member

Goes to Post Office where next day Mrs goes to collect. She produces slip and ID (same surname and address etc)and gets told she can’t pick it up as its not me and the post office can’t give post over to another person

So a woman turns up at royal mail depot, with id not yours, it could be a shared house, or house of multiple occupancy, and expects lowly paid person to just hand over package of whatever value, to her, then next day you turn up and ask for parcel, and they tell you its been collected, who are you going to blame royal mail, the depot staff or the company parcel ordered from.

paulwf

Project- how does that differ from the postie delivering it to the door?

project
    Free Member

Postie is programed to deliver to the address, not a named person at the address, it is up to the individual at that address if a shared house to ensure they have a recognized letter box for the postie to deposit the mail.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Conversely, I stopped and spoke to the postie in our village the other day – a stand in I’d never seen before, not our usual one – and asked if he had a parcel for such and such an address. Yes, he says, and just handed it over 🙂

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

this happened at my local depot ..but after a long conversion they did concede that they could redeliver it to save another trip out.. doh!

The staff at the local Post office take great joy in upselling the special delivery service as they cant guarantee delivery on any other service ( or should I say guarantee it might get lost).

Why is it ok to give the parcel to someone who opens the door whether it be the named person on the parcel or not but it is not possible to pick up parcel when providing id from said address. It baffles me.

The other thing that baffles me is that if you send something with a higher value than insured by the postage , should it get lost it will not be covered at all. I always thought each parcel was wrapped and no one could see in so why the hell would that make any difference to the persons handling it. Also as with insurance you are only covered up to the insured amount but clearly not in the case of royal mail! 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

I regularly collect parcels from the depot for my OH with my ID only & vice versa for my parcels & we have different surnames

Maybe we just look honest? 😉

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

So a woman turns up at royal mail depot, with id not yours, it could be a shared house, or house of multiple occupancy, and expects lowly paid person to just hand over package of whatever value, to her, then next day you turn up and ask for parcel, and they tell you its been collected, who are you going to blame royal mail, the depot staff or the company parcel ordered from.

No, my wife (not some woman) went to pick it up 🙄

PhilO
    Free Member

Presumably, this was registered delivery?

If so, tales of postmen handing over parcels in the street aren’t really relevant. Delivering to neighbours leaves a record of the person and location of receipt, but if collected they have no record of where the parcel has gone, only who collected it.

I reckon 9 times out of 10 you’d be able to collect on behalf of your partner, but I certainly wouldn’t be surprised or upset if I was told ‘no’. There are enough messy separations for there to be a realistic possibility of handing a parcel to an estranged spouse, for instance, and it’s the postal staff who’ll get hauled over the coals if that happens.

Irritating, but understandable, I’d say.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Unruly Postal Staff’ is closed to new replies.