Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Unruly Kids
  • brooess
    Free Member

So, what would be the best way to deal with this, before little timmy is run over and death occurs

Get the council to turn it into a 20mph limit, and enforce it?

ransos
    Free Member

Of course kids should be playing in the road

You got that bit right. Shame you turned into Victor Meldrew afterwards.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

When we moved in to our street there were no kids playing in the street. Now Jnr FD and about 4 other 2-6 yr olds play in the street. Its brilliant, football, bikes, water fights. Its how it should be.

If some one else’s kids do something wrong the kids get told. If they keep doing it the parents get told.

People now drive slower as they expect kids to be out.

wilburt
    Free Member

ransos – Member
    Of course kids should be playing in the road
    You got that bit right. Shame you turned into Victor Meldrew afterwards.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

Be careful he’s sensitive tonight.
    Thankfully kids do not see the world as a series of excel cells each one with a different purpose, they don’t give a hoot what you think because once your thirty your ancient and good as dead.
    I quite like that and hope it never changes.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

I think cougar has this spot on. There is a park at the back of the houses, probably 30 seconds walk. Loads of space to play. Not arsed about the kids playing, but the estate layout hasnow changed, the road is now a through road and very busy. The kids have zero road sense and are left unsupervised.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I live in Didcot. Local kid ran into the road last year from between parked cars, got hit and died. Now his dad has campaigned for and got a 20mph limit on the road saying his son died so others can live.
    His son died because his son made a mistake and got the maximum penalty for it. The errorless non speeding driver has a child’s death on his conscience and the local community has a 20mph limit on a road where the chances of getting above 20 are a pipedream due to the amount of traffic and the number of parked cars.
    Kids have accidents. The situation described by the op suggests that one may occur there. Let’s hope the resulting penalty is less than the one levelled on Freddy Perry.

JoeG
    Free Member

monkeychild
    Free Member

Kids should be out playing. My house (I don’t currently live there) is at the bottom of a cul de sac on a residential estate. However you would be more convinced it was Silverstone the speed most idiots drive through it!!. I’ve actually been overtaken before in a residential area as I was doing 20mph (never go above that in housing estates). The answer is to cull the idiots who constantly seem to be in a rush in their cars 😉 .

gwaelod
    Free Member

Most depressing thread ever. Another small victory on the war on children.

And people who put up no ball games signs need a KFC too.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

This and the Christmas thread are right up there on my FFS scale this morning.

CARRRRRRR!! good memories

hilldodger
    Free Member

Just make sure your car insurance covers bodywork damage and blood splatter by third party human objects, then just drive as normal – kid goes down, lesson learned by the rest.

ransos
    Free Member

Not arsed about the kids playing, but the estate layout hasnow changed, the road is now a through road and very busy.

Then the problem is the road, not the kids. As you say, it’s an estate, so you should expect to find kids playing there.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

And people who put up no ball games signs need a KFC too.

Whilst I agree bening forced to eat a KFC is worse than death as a punishment. Have you ever lived in a end of terrace house? I’m usualy a nice person (the alarm clock incident excepted) but I’ve gone absolutely batshit mental at the parents who just stand there gossiping whilst their kids pelt a football against our wall/windows.

amedias
    Free Member

I think cougar has this spot on. There is a park at the back of the houses, probably 30 seconds walk. Loads of space to play.

So why aren’t they there? there must be a reason, have you asked any of them? maybe it isn’t suitable or there is some other aspect you’re not aware of…

Not arsed about the kids playing, but the estate layout hasnow changed, the road is now a through road and very busy.

As mentioned by someone else, the road/drivers is the problem, not the kids, petition for a 20, start talking to the neighbours about calming their driving?

The kids have zero road sense and are left unsupervised.

Why not talk to the parents about your concerns and see if there is anything they, or a local community group, or even their school will run as an educational piece about road sense?

Throwing stones is the only bad bit in there, but we all did it as kids, surely that’s fixable with a quick chat to them?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

open plan estates are no fun, not many hedges to hop and few trees to hide behind when playing knocky nine doors, bah humbug.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I have alot of kids always causing mayhem and running around outside my house, sometimes I even hear my own squeeling and shouting (well one of them at least).

Generally if they are doing something that I think is risky I just go and speak to them, tell them it’s not cool, but I’m not immune to a wee shot of kirby on the way home from work, I generally reserve my wrath for the **** drivers that like to boot it between speedbumps, not the kids.

Cougar

Why not talk to the parents about your concerns and see if there is anything they, or a local community group, or even their school will run as an educational piece about road sense?

What’s it got to do with him? Why is the OP suddenly obligated to make up for someone else’s lax parenting? “My kids are running amok on the streets and in other people’s gardens but it’s ok, I’m leaving it to the rest of the world to work around my precious little Bella and Harry.”

If it’s a residential area then it should have a 20 limit and that limit should be actively enforced. But kids with no road sense really should not be playing in traffic on a main road, it really is that simple. How far is it to the nearest quiet side street, even? 20 yards? Can’t be that far on your average estate, I’d have thought.

DezB
    Free Member

But they are UNRULY!

chip
    Free Member

How busy is the road , if CAR! was being shouted every 30 seconds forcing them to pack in what ever it is they were doing, unless they are playing a real life child based version of frogger I am sure they would move somewhere they would be disturbed less.

miketually
    Free Member

Are there three people living in each of the 40 extra houses, each popping to the shops in their car once an hour? How busy can the road be, really?

We had ‘Hotshot’, who lived at number 5 in the street where I grew up. He had a Porsche that he’d pull into the garage when it rained, then come and move it back onto the street when the rain stopped (presumably so that everyone knew he owned a Porsche). Oh, the fun we had riding our bikes around his car 🙂

amedias
    Free Member

What’s it got to do with him? Why is the OP suddenly obligated to make up for someone else’s lax parenting?

He seemed to be expressing concern for their safety, so there must be at least some community spirit in there…

I was just suggesting something he could do about that. Not saying it’s his obligation to parent other people’s children but if he is concerned then there’s the option of doing something positive about it*, or whining about it.

* Even a grumpy ‘you should teach your kids some road sense before they get squished!’ rant at the parents is an option!

But kids with no road sense really should not be playing in traffic on a main road, it really is that simple

Agreed, so the question becomes how to teach them road sense, see above ^

Keva
    Free Member

sounds like us when we were kids. there were always a few grumpy ones in the street who’d complain but we just ignored them and carried on doing what kids do.

ransos
    Free Member

Why is the OP suddenly obligated to make up for someone else’s lax parenting?

That depends if you think allowing children to play on the street unsupervised constitutes lax parenting. I don’t.

MoreCashThanDash

real life child based version of frogger

Excellent turn of phrase, bravo!

miketually
    Free Member

roads are built for the transfer of vehicles, not as recreational areas

Streets and roads predate the invention of the motor car; roads were not built for cars.

Our streets, especially residential streets, should be for people not for moving lumps of metal around at 30mph.

crankboy
    Free Member

I look out for my neighbours kids I also look out for their cars and homes . I would step in to help a kid just like I would to deal with car crime or burglary.
    Its not really a neighborhood or a society if we all just sit in brick or metal boxes saying its not my obligation to deal with someone else’s stuff.

thegman67

When my kids where that age we had to stop the car get out and move prams,scooters,go-karts and even football goals from the road before we could get up the driveways pita if you where in a hurry but the sound of kids playing and having fun made up for that.

Cougar

That depends if you think allowing children to play on the street unsupervised constitutes lax parenting. I don’t.

I don’t either, but I think letting them play on what is described as a “busy through road” unsupervised without first teaching them elementary road safety is monumentally irresponsible.

Can’t you see the difference here? I’m not suggesting that kids shouldn’t play out, I’m saying that laking about in a busy road might not be the best place for them if they’ve not been taught how to look out for vehicles and cross roads safely.

roads were not built for cars.

Oh please. Just because horses pre-date roads doesn’t mean that we’re currently pumping gods know how much money into a road infrastructure so that Dobbin can clip-clip about the place and kids can play with tar and spark their clogs on the cobblestones. Roads might not have been built for cars back in the early 1900s but it’s absolutely the primary reason that we’re still building them. They’re transport links for cars, horses, buses, cycles, people who are at point A and need to be at point B.

If there wasn’t demand for vehicular access to your front door, do you reckon there’d still be a road there? I’ve an idea, why not speak to the other residents and petition to get the council to pedestrianise the estate? Oh, wait, because then you’d have to walk more than ten yards from your car to your front door. The problem here then is that what you really want to do is ban everyone who isn’t you. This is a local road for local people.

Proper recreational areas, greenery and traffic-free sections are the solution here, that and teaching your kids to play safely, not demonising people who have the sheer audacity to drive a car on a road.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

The worst thing about children misbehaving, are misbehaving parents acting like kids.

Just because they’re permitted to be belligerent little ignoramuses at home doesn’t entitle them to do so in public:ie the bus.

I enjoy reminding other people’s kids to have some respect, or not to piss on the bench, particularly when the parents sanction such shitty behavior.

Kids can learn but the grown ups should already know!

miketually
    Free Member

Oh please. Just because horses pre-date roads doesn’t mean that we’re currently pumping gods know how much money into a road infrastructure so that Dobbin can clip-clip about the place and kids can play with tar and spark their clogs on the cobblestones. Roads might not have been built for cars back in the early 1900s but it’s absolutely the primary reason that we’re still building them. They’re transport links for cars, horses, buses, cycles, people who are at point A and need to be at point B.

Most modern housing estates are being built with a design that limits speed to under 20mph, and hence have raised areas, chicanes, planting and diagonal parking. The “last hundred metres”, on housing estates and non-arterial roads, should prioritise people, and limit car speeds.

Cougar

The “last hundred metres”, on housing estates and non-arterial roads, should prioritise people, and limit car speeds.

Maybe they should go and play there, then? Sounds much safer than a main road.

miketually
    Free Member

Sounds much safer than a main road.

The road described by the OP is an access road to 40 houses, which doesn’t sound like a main road to me.

aracer
    Free Member

A road leading to 40 houses will have less traffic than government guidance for Home Zone streets allows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Home_zone

Cougar

The road described by the OP is an access road to 40 houses, which doesn’t sound like a main road to me.

The road described described by the OP is, to quote, “a busy through road,” which sounds exactly like a main road to me.

aracer
    Free Member

That’s a subjective statement – he gives the objective housing numbers in the OP, from which you can make your own assessment.

crankboy
    Free Member

cul de sac on a residential estate extended to a further 40 houses .There are 66 houses on my quiet cul de sac. This Does not really sound like a main road . Main roads are arterial not residential estates.
    Perhaps the op can enlighten.

butcher

Most depressing thread ever. Another small victory on the war on children.

This.

When I read ‘unruly kids’, I was expecting to read about them pulling wing mirrors off cars, tipping them over, stealing them, burning them out….that kind of thing.

Kids playing in the road, shouting CARR!!! when a car comes, and rushing to pick the goal posts up…that’s what we did. Completely normal behaviour.

If you speak to anyone, speak to the residents about driving in the estate. Speak to the council and tell them you have concerns over the safety of children in the estate. If you speak to the kids, just tell them to be careful.

But if they throw stones, tell them you know where they live and you’ll be having words with their dad. They’ll be good as gold then.

yunki
    Free Member

The road described described by the OP blah blah blah

no no no Cougar 😆

The road is described by the hysterical OP as a busy through road

As you mature you’re meant to reminisce about the good old days when kids could play safely in the streets..
    I bet you’ve got a lovely collection of unreturned footballs in your dingy basement

Cougar

That “Home Zone” is a brilliant idea. Everyone’s a winner.

ransos
    Free Member

I don’t either, but I think letting them play on what is described as a “busy through road” unsupervised without first teaching them elementary road safety is monumentally irresponsible.

1) You’ve no idea what the kids have been taught and 2) an access road on an estate is not a “busy through road” despite what the OP might think.

Kids playing in the road, shouting CARR!!! when a car comes, and rushing to pick the goal posts up…that’s what we did. Completely normal behaviour.

Precisely. The only bloke who objected to it (known as Mr Happy) on our street died of a heart attack. Just sayin…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Unruly Kids’ is closed to new replies.