• This topic has 16 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Unrequented racing
  • yeager2004
    Free Member

So I’m cycling on the road on my commute home when I catch up with a guy on a MTB going a bit slower than me. I hang back for a moment or two, then decide to pass.

As I’m adjacent with him, the guy speeds up and seems to be racing me.

Given that it’s a reaitvely narrow road with parked cars, I was fairly far over to my side of the road in order to overtake, and given the approaching cars on the other side of the road, I didn’t want to be in that position any longer than necessary.

So my question is, is it fair play for the guy to try and race me or should he just have let me pass?

I don’t like being overtaken any more than anyone else but if a bike passes me, while I might then try and keep up, I wouldn’t start racing anyone as they’re passing.

No sane person would do that when driving, but is it ok when cycling?

Edric64
    Free Member

Yes

legolam
    Free Member

It’s not a race

It’s a race.

breadcrumb

Did you get past him then?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

You passed him too slowly, he thought you were fair game. You need to man up basically.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Nah, he was a dick. It’s only a race if both people know it’s a race and where the finish line is. Nothing funnier than someone giving it full beans to get past then slowing right down and turning off the main drag 200 metres later.

yeager2004
    Free Member

yes, did pass him. But then had to stop at roundabout about 25 meters later, so he caught up. Luckily or otherwise, we then went separate ways

cynic-al
    Free Member

Bell endery of the highest order.

If you can be bothered playing with tools like this there may be some amusement to be had.

RobHilton
    Free Member

No sane person would do that when driving, but is it ok when cycling?

I’ve seen many people do this on motorways :/

cynic-al – Member
    Bell endery…
    tools…
    dome amusement

Something on your mind? 😆

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

They were being a knob!

Overtaking you (safely) is fair game though.

MussEd
    Free Member

Unrequited

jimjam
    Free Member

I had a similar (if inverse) tosser on my commute. He’d frequently be dawdling along a long stretch of tow path on a carbon Scott road bike, lycra, spd-sls etc. Me on my wifes shitty hybrid, flats, trainers.

As soon as I’d pass him he would speed up and draft me, a few inches off my back wheel. I don’t particularly like that so I’d try snot rockets, etc but generally I had to slow to a crawl and then he’d take off. And of course….he’d slow down about half a mile later, I would catch him and we’d be off again.

Luckily the towpath ended and went into an industrial area with several corners, roundabouts, kerbs etc where I could just pull away from him since he didn’t know how to corner. ****ing roadies 🙂

Speshpaul

People do it all the time, bikes – cars, Try driving with the cruise control on or with a speed restrictor.

My top tip… if they want to go faster then let them lead….. just keep the pressure on. On the bike you can even give a running commentary.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As I’m adjacent with him, the guy speeds up and seems to be racing me.

I don’t often get the speeding up as you try to pass thing but I often pass people going fairly slow for then to suddenly change their pace completely once I’ve passed and sit on my wheel. But I know what I need to do in that situation.

yeager2004
    Free Member

cynic-al
    Free Member

jimjam – Member
    ****ing wannabee roadies

FTFY

Gary_M – Member
    But I know what I need to do in that situation.

Punch his ***ing lights out? That’s what I want to do. Slowing down/speeding up & laughing is usually a good alternative though.

D0NK

But I know what I need to do in that situation.

wait 5 mins and then tell them to take a turn up front?

If someone overtakes me I’ll sometimes tag along. If I pass someone and they then feel the need to speed up and pass me, I’ll be tucking in for the duration – if they need to be infront and push a decent pace I’m happy with that. Don’t do much road commuting anymore so doesn’t really come up very often

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Unrequented racing’ is closed to new replies.