Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)
  • Unpopular "standards" that you actually quite like…?
  • Northwind

raisinhat – Member

I switched from a set of 9mm qr forks to some 36s with a 20mm axle, and they’re definitely much stiffer fore and aft. How much of that is due to bigger stanchions versus massive axle is debatable,

Nope, not debatable at all, it’s all because of the stiffer legs. Axle size doesn’t change fore/aft stifness at all

scaredypants

… since everyone else has just taken it without mention, can I just ask:

brassneck – Member
    <Jazz Club>
    Nuages
    </Jazz Club>

WTF ?

I mean, I very much approve but have no idea what it means (I do know what “jazz club” means; why nuages ?)

Rapid rise on a road bike is grrrreat, by the way

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Posted this above, but it’s probably due to the ally spider that is several mm thick, mating with a nice fat splined interface. Only the pad track bit of a centrelock rotor needs to be stainless steel and 2mm thick, on XT and XTR at least, most of the rotor is ally and quite chunky and stiff. Ergo, much better.

Yes, I read that last time, but……..

Shimano 6-bolt rotors are ally spiders too, so just as stiff.

And while the alloy carrier design might be stiffer, in what way is stiffer better? Most of the time if I drop my bike disk side down the rotors twang and bend (then 90% of the time spring back), I suspect the stiffer rotors are far more likely to crack.

And……

Also, and I suspect I’m one of a very few here, but I’ve had a near disastrous issue with 6 bolt in the past. OK, I was doing a week’s descending in Morzine/Les Gets, and riding a lot, on my 5″ trail bike with only a 160mm rear rotor. Anyway, one day had been braking so hard for so long, I turned the rear rotor a bit blue. Cruising along the road after our final descent of the day, my mate notices my rear rotor is floating about, so yells me to stop. Turns out, I’d got everything so damned hot, the 6 bolt mount on the hub had obviously expanded somewhat as all the (threadlocked) bolts had come loose and nearly fallen out!!!

So one bolt you might forget to check is better than 6 bolts you did forget to check?

I’ve turned plenty of 6-bolt rotors blue, especially smaller ones, only one’s ever come loose (stripped all the threads out of the bolt holes whilst it was at it. While there’s a chance it was heat melting the thread lock or some such, I’m more inclined to believe it was just mechanical ineptitude on my part for not checking them and relying on the thread lock that was probably applied ion the hope factory several rotor removals earlier.

I’m not saying centerlock is bad, just that it’s of no consequence to the end user, like slotted brake mounts it’s designed purely to help manufacturers build bikes as quickly as possible.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nope, not debatable at all, it’s all because of the stiffer legs. Axle size doesn’t change fore/aft stifness at all

I have bombers with the same lower sizes one Qr one 20mm the 20mm is stiffer using the same wheel. (ProII)

Hope’s floating rotors have been around for 8 years now and are v stiff, Still got some original ones that are better then any new non floating I have

I was doing a week’s descending in Morzine/Les Gets, and riding a lot, on my 5″ trail bike with only a 160mm rear rotor.

Well that is asking for trouble

Northwind

mikewsmith – Member

I have bombers with the same lower sizes one Qr one 20mm the 20mm is stiffer using the same wheel. (ProII)

Fore and aft? Or side/side and twisting? Axle can’t provide any bracing for fore/aft, only from angles.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Gripshift , in fact thumbshifters as well.

Viewing 6 posts - 81 through 86 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Unpopular "standards" that you actually quite like…?’ is closed to new replies.