• This topic has 19 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Dave.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Unofficial UK single speed championship. Would this work ?
  • Another one of my half baked ideas, feel free to suggest alterations or tell me why it wouldn’t work.

Wiggle 6 next weekend hasn’t got a single speed class, never mind a veteran single speed class. Some other endurance races don’t either
    So, how about, unofficially, someone, probably me, keeps a record of all the single speed finishers at an agreed list of UK marathons and publishes some sort of league table on the web.

With no official category listed in the entries or results, I’m going to rely on people telling me they were riding single speed, so it’s going to have to be done on trust.

I’ll be riding Wiggle 6, BBF 12 and BBF Oktoberfest 8 single speed.
    We could add most of the established 6+ hour races to the list; SITS, MM, Erlestoke 12 etc.

I was thinking something like 20 points for 1st place, down to 1 point for 20th place, with the best 5 results over the year counting.
    No prizes or official recognition, just a bit of fun and motivation for those who want it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Ain’t the whole SS ting more pints rather than points?

tazzymtb

you forget that singlespeeders are the most lazy arsed, disorganised bunch of Panurues biarmicus ever!

you’ll try a ss trailquest series next. Unless it’s orienbeering (which is ace)

fontmoss
    Free Member

if could find a sponsor (brewer? surly?) then might be able to speak to some of the organisers about adding an ss category? If you could organise prizes they might be more inclined to add it as it would, in theory at least, give them another way to sell the event. Maybe.

I think a lot of ss riders would be interested in a separate category in big events tbh.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Panurues biarmicus

had to google it ……… 😀

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

I’ll make sure you unofficially get an unoffical price at Erlestoke.
    I’ll have a special tin of SPAM waiting as a prize for the top placed Vegan Cyclist…..see you at Erlestoke12!

Simon

had to google it ………

Me too 😆

ronjeremy
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member

Unless it’s orienbeering (which is ace)

Tell me more….

marty
    Free Member

ss races are silly, but fine.

ss categories are silly.

pingu66
    Free Member

Panurues biarmicus = bearded tit

andrewh
    Free Member

Is it just me or would anyone else be interested in an actual SS race? SS categories are all very well but a race within a race isn’t the sme.
    I did the SSEC a couple of years ago and it was just a beer festival with a bit of a ride briefly interupting proceedings.
    Call me a bore but if I’ve gone all that way to ride my bike I want to ride my bike, and I enjoy making it go as fast as I can. Beer afterwards is fine. Can’t really understand those who just turn up, drink and then go away two days later, you could do that anywhere without the hassel of driving to a bike evnt.
    I think I may be missing something…

ssjeff
    Free Member

Tazzy you got it 😉

Andrewh that’s a troll surely ?

Dave
    Free Member
    tazzymtb

Is it just me or would anyone else be interested in an actual SS race

turn up a normal race and compete against the gearies. If your good enough you’ll beat a lot of them. If you’re very fast you’ll win overall, who needs a special category for the slow ones?

psling
    Free Member

Some people do actually ride competitively at the ss events despite the chilled atmosphere. You’d better be good though because you’ll be up against some top riders, some of whom enter the spirit of the event and still ride for the win. Where did you place at SSEC?

tazzymtb

Where did you place at SSEC?

4th obviously 😆

miketually
    Free Member

So, how about, unofficially, someone, probably me, keeps a record of all the single speed finishers at an agreed list of UK marathons and publishes some sort of league table on the web.

People could send you their results on postcards. You could then post updates back to everyone.

Bernaard
    Free Member

At SSEC 2012, I came 4th in the race, but 1st in the striptease afterwards 😯

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The old SSUK format of big ride out on the Saturday followed by beer followed by race was great as usually 30-40 riders headed out for a good ride and some beer on the way around on the Saturday. You did pants in the “race” but who cares when you are 4th.

Not sure if this is happening now with the Saturday “race” last year and this year.

A number of riders this year will be leaving early on the Sunday anyway this year due to it clashing with the 3 peaks

Dave
    Free Member

SSUK 2012

Big ride out to the start – Tick

Beer stop/Heckling – Tick

Guided rides for those not 3 peaks racing on the Sunday – Tick

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Unofficial UK single speed championship. Would this work ?’ is closed to new replies.