Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Unmissable Lakes Routes
  • scandal42
    Free Member

I may be heading up to the Lakes in a couple of months and wondered what peoples best rides were over that way?

Any epic full and half day routes with amazing scenery and some lovely singletrack would be much appreciated, It will also help me plan accommodation possibilities.

Cheers

wittonweavers
    Free Member

Borrowdale bash was very enjoyable and have also recently visited Grizedale Forest which was very good.

The Lake District has so much to offer and i havent really so much as scratched the surface!

failedengineer

There are indeed many wonderful routes in the Lakes. How about this one for a half day and-a-bit?:
    Across on the Bowness ferry (free parking possible further on the Newby Bridge Rd ;-)), over Claife heights, descend to Hawkshead, up b’way from centre of village into Grisedale, thru’ Grisedale to Parkamoor, descend to Satterthwaite, along to visitor centre for a tasty snack, up climb opposite Visitor Centre (where lead wall was) descend to road, climb up road, left into forest, left where b’way crosses fire road descend to tarmac, left then right past Esthwaite Water and then back to ferry via Sawrey.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

4 Passes aka tour of gable

Skiddaw, Ullock Pike

Nan Bield from Stavely

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Nah it’s rubbish, not much going on at all, you’d be better off down south 😉

Oh and just to remind above Skiddaw Yes but dull, Ullock is a Footpath.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

What Ecky-Thump said.

martinhutch

Unless the amount of push/carry on ecky-thumps is off-putting, that one wins for me.

If you’re still after an action-packed half day, I’d probably pick some version of the Iron Keld/Tilberthwaite/Loughrigg route in the vertebrate graphics guide.

lowey

Where you based ?

You can make a full day and a half in and around Grizedale without ever going over the same track twice.

Tour of Coniston throwing in Broughton Forest, Stephenson Ground, Duddon Valley and back over Walna…. How technical do you like it ?

scandal42
    Free Member

Going to be staying near to Ambleside I would imgine.

Like it fairly technical, although we will both be riding hardtails.

Just found this site which seems to have some decent options. http://www.pedalnorth.com/content/lake-district-mtb-routes

Thanks

sprocker
    Free Member

Parka moor / tiberwaithe, borrowdale bash, grizedale not the trail centre, langwith/rydal there is loads. In Ambleside the biketreks shop should be able to sort you out

lowey

Yep.. if your in Ambleside, call into Biketreks. They do laminated maps for local routes.

A good route from Ambleside would be
    Loughrigg Tarn BW past the old Golf Course, Elterwater, Little Langdale, Hodge Close, High Oxenfell, Arnside intake, Knipe Fold, High Cross, Parkamoor, Moor lane to Satterthwaite, Breasty Haw, Devils Gallop, Claife Hieghts, Colthouse and back to Ambleside. 31 mile and about 6.5k climbing.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Unmissable Lakes Routes’ is closed to new replies.