Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • unlocking an old Nokia N95.
  • lowey

No idea how this works but been quoted £20 by some guy in a shop.

Whats involved ? Anyone got any tips or pointers ?

Many thanks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If its out of warranty I'd just de-brand it and put the latest firmware on – I think that unlocks it.

RealMan
    Free Member

Can't you get some bloke down the market to do it for a fiver?

Notter
    Free Member

cynic-al – how do you "de-brand it and put the latest firmware on"?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You have to plug it into the pc, download some software, use a blank product code, then update the firmware.

I't easy enough though will require some reading, I'd look on the nokia forums. I did this OK.

joemarshall
    Free Member

If its out of warranty I'd just de-brand it and put the latest firmware on – I think that unlocks it.

I think it is a different thing, unless the latest firmware includes an unlock for some reason. You need to remove the sim lock (locked to a network right?), not the operator branding, which is a totally different thing.

Is it a contract phone – if so, phone the network and ask for an unlock code – some will do that for you for free or cheap.

As far as I know, you need a special box for N95, costs about £200, or a special cable (test pin cable), which costs less, but you need to connect it to the circuit board of the phone, so it is a right old pain to do (and requires an annoyingly large set of phone opening tools). £20 is an alright deal for getting someone else to do it.

Also, have you checked that it is locked – operators don't always lock their phones, so it might not be.

Joe

cynic-al
    Free Member

Furry muff, I may well be wrong, it's ages ago I did this.

CountZero

What network is it on? This is fairly important, because if it's on O2, then it's unlocked by default. Only the iPhone is locked to a specific network, all other phones on O2 will work with other SIMs in. I had an N95 with an Orange SIM in for Orange Wednesdays after I got my iPhone.

U31
    Free Member

The Off License on Plodder lane on the junction of Bradford Rd / Marsh lane does it for a fiver or tenner or so, has it a couple of hours. He did an "uncrackable" Nokia Sport for me.

lowey

Hmm cheers… Sounds a right PITA to do myself them.

Its sim locked to orange. Daughter want to put an 02 PAYG card in there.

Might have a trip over to deepest darkest farnworth.

Padowan
    Free Member

If the phone is out of contract, then you can go into the shop for the network that it's locked to and get it unlocked for free. I've done this to 2 Vodafone locked N95s – popped into Vodafone, had a chat to them, 5 minutes later and I had 2 unlocked phones and my wallet was still full.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘unlocking an old Nokia N95.’ is closed to new replies.