Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Unlocking an Iphone 6 plus (o2)
  • iolo
    Free Member

O2 will not give me an answer as to when they will unlock the iPhone 6 plus and all they say is “probably soon”.
    Is there any way of getting it unlocked? I’m not overly bothered about warranty and I see lots of companies offering to do it using IMEI number online but have no idea if these work or do they just take your cash.
    Has anyone managed to do this? I’m not i n the uk at the minute and would like to use an Austrian sim card in it.

alpineharry
    Free Member

IS it on contract? You should be able to unlock it at any point but dependent on when in the contract would vary the price of a fee i think, that’s what i seemed to have understood from vodafone when i was looking to unlocking my 5 (Now own a 6 plus also)

Drac

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

We won’t be unlocking iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus for a while. We’re prioritising our stock of these devices for customers who want to use them on the O2 network. The exception to this will be O2 Refresh customers who’ve completely paid off their Device Plan in full – we will therefore allow iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus to be unlocked.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

https://giffgaff.com/unlock/apple-iphone-6-plus-phone

Pay by CC and you’re covered if it fails.

iolo
    Free Member

As above, O2 currently want their device plan paid off before they’ll lock it. Talking to the online chat they have told me that soon this will not be the case and that they will start to unlock them on request (as the other providers currently do).They will not commit to as date a to when this will happen.
    I don’t want to wait 18 months for my device to be paid off and am willing to forfeit my warranty if I can get it unlocked unofficially.
    Has anyone successfully done this?

spooky_b329

Just use eBay it giffgaff. I just got an brand new Xperia Z3 compact unlocked, never had a Voda sim card in it. As it was new the unlocker had to get the code from Sony rather than Voda so it cost £18 instead of £6, but I saved £100 over getting it sim only, and £50 cheaper than buying it from Europe.

iolo
    Free Member

I already have the iPhone. I don’t want to get another. I would just like to use mine with an Austrian network (bob).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Just try a SIM card in it. In fairness to O2 they have provided you with an expensive phone and they want to get their money back. Personally I would get it done properly, that will retain the phones resale value too (not insignificant). From what I understand O2 isn’t too difficult to unlock by a backstreet shop (Vodafone is difficult I was told)

iolo
    Free Member

I have a contract with O2 and fully intend to keep paying it. I can then use tugo via 3g/4g so in effect I’ll have a twin sim phone that works without roaming charges and no extra cost to call uk (I have unlimited calls and text on my contract). Data and Austrian stuff will be dealt with by the local sim card.
    I tried to use the Austrian sim but no joy.
    It’s a shame as most of the other providers unlock when you ask them (even if they do charge).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ah got it, yes that’s quite unreasonable. I suppose me telling you I bought my iPhone from Apple so I could use multiple SIMs doesn’t help 😉

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Unlocking an Iphone 6 plus (o2)’ is closed to new replies.