Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Unlocking an iPhone 4
  • Lionheart
    Free Member

Hi, I have bought a 2nd hand iPhone 4, everyone thought it was unlocked as bought from an Apple store. Not sure but it seems it gets locked with its first sim, which was t-mobile.
    My question is who has successfully unlocked their iPhone? Particularly from t- mobile. I have checked t-mobile, seems they are difficult at best but can be done by signing up for 3 months plus, then pay 15, then wait 4-6 weeks. I have considered the down the market version, told £20 ish but told its a software cheat that will either disappear at the next update, so be locked again, or not update and increasingly glitch. A couple of Internet sites say they will do it properly but will not give a final actual cost, say approx. £60-120 or a time frame 1-6 weeks.
    Apparently properly means the IMEI number is unlocked on the Apple data base, until this is done, it will not work with another sim or relate to iTunes to update or backup unless with a t-mobile sim.

Really great full for any thoughts/help!
    Rich

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The offical route via T-Mobile is the safest most reliable way of doing it. Thats what I did with my Orange iPhone 4. It took a few weeks after my initial three month period was up but it was a painless process and its been fine ever since.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Just re-read your post – if you bought it 2nd hand from Apple and it was supposed to be unlocked shouldn’t you be speaking to them?

matty456
    Free Member

I want to unlock my ip4, bought from apple so I’m starting with them first.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I upgraded my iPhone 4 (on Three) and wanted to unlockit for my daughter to use on Orange. I looked on the interweb and there was a large number of folk offering to do it for anything from £35 to a mindblowing £115.

I called Three and they will unlock it via Apple for £15.32. They said that the only way to do it is for them to request it to be unlocked to Apple who then send an update to the phone via iTunes.

As Rockhopper said I would start with your network provider or if you boughtit from Apple with them

Hope this helps

Ken

Lionheart
    Free Member

Further reseach shows it does seem it really needs original locker to ask Apple and get unlocked on their database.
    Thanks guys for info
    Rich

joeyj
    Free Member

You could try ziphone just google it and make sure you have the correct version. It worked no prob on my old 3GS but don’t pay for it as it is free software.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Unlocking an iPhone 4’ is closed to new replies.