Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • unlimited broadband situation
  • sadexpunk

at present its been just me and the mrs, we can use the works internet (router in building across the road), its nowt special but its good enough for singletrackworld browsing and streaming netflix, with the occasional drop if more people use it.

situations now changed, we have our 2 teenage lads living with us, plus we’ll be moving house in 3 or 4 months. present internet apparently doesnt cut the mustard for them with a further 2 xboxes now needed to constantly steal cars and kill baddies and prostitutes smoothly and efficiently.

been looking at the deals out there, plus reading old threads on here and im not sure what to do.
    i dont want to sign up for a contract if we’re just going to move after a few months, unless we can take the contract with us, plus virgin arent available in our area.

im with three for my mobile use, i like em, and id prefer to use their dongle (mifi?) or something, but they seem to be a fixed limit (5Gb?) and not sure how quickly that would be used, probably toooo quickly tho.

uswitch deals in my postcode area show talktalk, bt, sky, plusnet, sse, ee, plus a few others ive never heard of but some seem to do rolling monthly contracts up to 40Gb (still not sure if thatd be ok).
    reading up on all those shows horror stories with slow speeds, cr@p customer service, security leaks etc.

most speeds seem to be 17mb/s, some double that. i realise thats just a number that probably isnt attainable anyway, plus, im not techy enough to know whether theyre good speeds or not.

anyone care to advise me on what to go for?

thanks

EDIT: we dont want a phone, nor any tv package, just broadband. we live frugally 🙂

mattyfez

If you want something temporary, ee do a 4g modem.. It’s basically a sim card in a router.. Limited to about 25gb..depends whether that will be enough for two teenagers and dependant on ee 4g signal in your house.

Do you currently have a landline?

thegreatape
    Free Member

You should be able to move it with you. I would however suggest emailing them to ask and keep the reply, so that if you choose BT, when they cock it up you have some evidence that they said it was ok.

mattyfez

Yeh you can move contract deals to a new property..

FuzzyWuzzy

I’d just go for any ADSL you can get without a contract (not sure if such a thing exists if you don’t already have an ADSL line to your house though). For playing games 2Mbps is fine (ideally you want low latency but for 3-4 months they could put up with it). 40GB d/l cap would only be an issue if you’re streaming a lot of video content or downloading games etc.

You’ll need to pay for line rental on top of the broadband charge, whether you use a phone or not (think of it as the standing charge for the cable going to you hour house).

munrobiker
    Free Member

You can take Talktalk with you when you move and we’ve generally been happy with them.

If the kids stream TV (iPlayer, Netflix etc) go unlimited as that will eat data (a 1 hour show will be around 0.6GB)

oldnpastit

Tell your teenage children to go out and earn the money to pay for whatever it is they wantneed.

I wish I’d done this years ago.

bruneep

Think zen do a rolling monthly thing. You’ll need a phone line tho.

Drac

Yes you can take your contract with you. It’s on your name not the property.

sadexpunk

thanks guys

yeah, i see that we’re maybe going to have to pay for a landline whether we use it or not (we dont currently have on) so its just a case of weighing up the total costs.
    emailing for confirmation of a move is a good idea, thanks.

dont mind signing up to a contract that will suit for future use in a new property, spose its just trying to work out how much use we’re likely to need as to whether ‘unlimited’ is compulsory or not.
    the bad thing about a contract (and probably the reason why id prefer a rolling monthly deal) is the ability to just cancel and try elsewhere if things dont work out as planned, rather than having to deal with customer service.

thanks

EDIT:

Tell your teenage children to go out and earn the money to pay for whatever it is they wantneed.

I wish I’d done this years ago.
    to be fair, theyve offered to pay for it as its something i dont need. ill take them up on that offer 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

25gb on 4g isn’t enough my phone uses about 15gb of 4g a month and that’s just a phone. After Virgin have over subscribed users in our area bringing our speed down from 40mbs to 1-3mbs so have ordered EE fibre 74mbs unlimited data and no fair usage for £27.5 a month including landline.

unovolo
    Free Member

Avoid BT as they will cancel your contract for no apparent reason(well they did to me and a quick Google suggests its quite common),
    Then when you contact them to try and find out whats going on you will then play a game of pass the blame going round several different departments having to explain the issue repeatedly before ending up at a Indian call centre who have no idea whats going on.

Its really not worth the effort with them, Its the only company I have known who seemingly didn’t want my business.

On another note depending where you are in the UK ,there are some companies that do a proper home 4G connection They install a little 4G antennae on your property and hardwire it to a router in the house).

‘Relish’ is one and there was another whose name evades me, but they are mainly down south.

Del

25gb on 4g isn’t enough my phone uses about 15gb of 4g a month and that’s just a phone.

😯

timbur
    Free Member

bt mobiles and use the neighbours but wifi hotspot thingies

sadexpunk

bt mobiles and use the neighbours but wifi hotspot thingies

we dont have neighbours at present, empty houses either side of us. my mate did give me his hotspot password a while ago, but its flakier than what we have at present :-/

Think zen do a rolling monthly thing. You’ll need a phone line tho.

thanks, but we dont have a phone line. cost seems quite high to set up for whats hopefully just going to be 3 or 4 months. looks like you pay your installation fee up front, plus having to buy the router, cant see this one happening.

ive considered the ‘taking the bb with you when you move’ option. its not dead in the water yet, but….. i looked at whats available at our new address and it looks like virgin is the winner there by some margin, cheaper and faster, just a shame we cant have it here. so i think whatever we choose, its got to be for just a few months.

thanks anyway chaps, much appreciated.

mattyfez

If its just for 4 months, I’m pretty sure you could limp by with what you have, if the teenagers neeed thier snap chat that badly, short term 3 mobile 1 month rolling contract sim cards for christmas, lol:

3 (1 month rolling contract)

jon1973
    Free Member

Yes you can take your contract with you. It’s on your name not the property.

When I moved Virgin Made me commit to a new 12 month contact and changed my account number.

jambalaya
    Free Member

3 dongle (I have one) is good for the basics only, not a home broadband replacement and certainly not for the kids stuff.

As above contract is in your name and you can move it, just be aware if you move you have to have a new address to port it to. When we moved we had a break for a few momths and that was a problem for BT. We are currently looking at BT vs TalkTalk as fast broadband is now in the new area, about £40/month for boradband and phone (as a total aside was shocked at how mich cheaper it is in France, £20 for phone and 100 mbps internet)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘unlimited broadband situation’ is closed to new replies.