Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Unlimited 4G data plans – does anyone do one?
  • the-muffin-man

4G is great where I live so I’m thinking of getting rid of the landline as we can only get normal broadband at the minute.

Trouble is we easily use 60 to 100gb of data every month, so most most data plans are out.

So – is there anything out there?

Drac

You use that much data with ‘normal’ broadband. 😯

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not a chance – none of them will let you go near that level of usage.
    If its that high then just get cable from Virgin – no landline, etc.
    Otherwise you’ll need several 20gb 4G contracts and even then they’ll hammer you for over use charges.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    allthegear
    Free Member

I’m occasionally going over my 100GB limit at the moment on my broadband. Thinking of moving to my ISPs 1000GB package, as it happens.

the-muffin-man

No Virgin in my area, and likely never will be.

You use that much data with ‘normal’ broadband.

Quite easy really – Netflix, Prime, YouTube and teenage girl!

trademark
    Free Member

teenage girl

I’ve not come across that site before …

hammyuk
    Free Member

Guessing a few may have come across a teenage girl …….. website of dubious content

the-muffin-man

Hmm, I could have worded my last post a little better. 🙂

To clarify – our daughter uses Netflix, Prime and YouTube a lot!

just5minutes
    Free Member

EE are doing 50% off their 25Gb Sim only plans at the moment – so you could get two of those to get 50Gb a month for £30 which would probably still be cheaper and faster than a landline and “adsl” internet.

EE UK Offers 25GB Half Price 4G Mobile Broadband Data SIM

Drac

EE also do silly deals now and then on one off payments. I’m still on a 100Gb per month second month into a 2 month deal, it cost me £10.

I’m waiting to see what they offer next.

An awful lot. I’ve 2 daughters who use similar site, I stream stuff too and play online downloading games. Never hit anywhere near 100Gb in a very long time.

lunge

Have a look at Three, this link is from their website on what there All You Can Eat data really means.

Drac

A 1,000Gb good luck using that.

iolo
    Free Member

How much data would a 2 hour hd film use on Netflix?

Drac

Probably about 2Gb or more if HD.

jon1973
    Free Member

If you have netflix or something similar then 100gb a month useage isn’t that unusual. If you have kids who play on line games and watch enless you tube videos, then it’s positively low.

kcal

regularly went close to our 100GB limit with PlusNet a while back, eventually plumped for unlimited – which was handy – family of four, signed up to Netflix and the rest.

history of late has been 118, 410 and 149 GB..

the-muffin-man

Oooh the 3 SIM looks interesting!

Now 2nd question – it looks like it’s a mobile SIM – would they know if I stuck it in one of these (would this be classed as tethering)…

Netgear 4G Router

…I ask as I have one of these sat in a drawer. It came with my company mobile deal and my boss told me to keep it.

jon1973
    Free Member

Three won’t let you use your phone as a mobile hotspot.

allthegear
    Free Member

erm – In which case you won’t be able to read this message…

Rachel

Drac

Has anyone heard from allthegear today?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Our current monthly usage is 232Gb 😯

Date Allowance Used Allowance Bank Used Total Allowance Used Upload Usage
    Jan, 2016 282.460 GB 0.000 GB 282.460 GB 18.084 GB
    Dec, 2015 255.990 GB 0.000 GB 255.990 GB 15.659 GB
    Nov, 2015 171.702 GB 0.000 GB 171.702 GB 14.490 GB
    Oct, 2015 181.548 GB 0.000 GB 181.548 GB 12.151 GB
    Sep, 2015 269.349 GB 0.000 GB 269.349 GB 16.923 GB

That’s what having three teenage daughters will do for you! Luckily Zen are very good with their allowances.

The problem with using 4g is that the speed will drop as more people use it throughout the day – you’ll probably get fed up with it fairly quickly if you relied upon it as your only source of data.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Blimey @sharkbait, glad my three are in their 20’s now

sharkbait
    Free Member

I know. And the scarey bit is that I’ve actually set up the wifi to boot them off between 6 and 8:30 so they get their homework done, plus they’re at athletics two nights a week and saturday mornings!

disco_stu
    Free Member

Now 2nd question – it looks like it’s a mobile SIM – would they know if I stuck it in one of these (would this be classed as tethering)…

Three have spotted me using my phone as a hotspot and asked me to buy the tethering add-on so I doubt that you’ll get away with dumping your landline and replacing with a 3 sim. FYI 1gb of personal hotspot is £5 on my plan.

xora

There are easy ways to get round that, but I suspect at 100Gb+ they will get suspicious 😀

the-muffin-man

There are easy ways to get round that, but I suspect at 100Gb+ they will get suspicious

This is the confusing bit to me – if they are offering 1000gb a month of data why does in matter if it is tethered.

1000gb is 1000gb no matter what the device it’s downloaded to?

disco_stu
    Free Member

Mutiple devices tethered can potentially use a lot more data in a given time

mattyfez

3 unlimited mobile sims are now limited for teathering due to people using them in lieu of broadband and hammering the network..

Now a days you get unlimited mobile data, but if you teather, it’s limited to 4gb per month, there are ways around it, but they will still put you on the naughty step and throttle your 4g if your caining it, as in using a lot of mobile data..

There simply isnt a 4g broadband alternative thats viable on the market at the moment unless you are a very light user, like 20gb per month or so, and even that costs the same as a deidcated much faster broadband connection.

molgrips
    Free Member

Wired bb is not always faster. I looked into this because I can easily get 40Mbps via mobile and only 3.3 wired. But the download limit was the issue as above.

I have a colleague who when in hotels connects his phone to the telly and watches streaming TV leaving his laptop free for surfing etc. That’s unlimited data on 3

Ewan
    Free Member

4g unlimited broadband – 20 quid a month:
    https://www1.relish.net/athome#pricing

The catch? London only.

ourmaninthenorth

Mobile data usage is doubling year on year.

The costs of keeping up with this and delivering a decent user experience mean that unlimited plans are completely uneconomic to sell.

There is a massive customer demand for unlimited data, but no-one is prepared to pay a realistic price to allow even the mobile networks (who have the lowest cost to serve) to offer anything. The only way they do it is by imposing fair usage rules and selling on the basis that plenty of unlimited customers are overpaying and should be on a cheaper tariff.

Why do you think Three is trying to buy O2? They can’t make it work without a market-busting economy of scale.

OP – just buy an unlimited broadband product, set your kids’ phones to pick up your wifi by default, and make them pay any mobile out of bundle charges. It’s the only way!

revs1972
    Free Member

I have all you can eat data with three. I get an 8gb tethering allowance ( I tether my MacBook whilst in the office ).
    If I had a good enough signal at home then I would consider getting rid of the virgin broadband , but unfortunately it’s right on the edge of the 4g signal area, and it’s either there or it’s not. ( more often not), although I get full signal of sat outside in the van

revs1972
    Free Member

And I got full service in my package when on holiday in Lanzarote over Christmas which was a bonus

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Unlimited 4G data plans – does anyone do one?’ is closed to new replies.