Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • UNIX, Networks – talk to me
  • twixhunter
    Free Member

Are there any decent resources online to learn about UNIX and Networks?

Thanks

footflaps

Do you mean Networks of Unix computers or networking on Unix?

Networks (IP etc) is an orthogonal topic to Unix the Operating system.

willard

Oh dear gods. That’s a can o’worms if ever I saw one.

What parts of Unix and networks are you looking to learn about? If it’s general *nix sysadmin, then there are a couple of decent books about (“The underground guide to unix” is not a bad choice (http://www.bookdepository.com/Underground-Guide-Unix-John-Montgomery/9780201406535), but you may want to consider something that is more specific to the type of Unix that you’ll be using.

Networks, go for a broad but shallow tome on TCP/IP or similar (O’Reilly does good ones) and then look for books specific to the platform that you are using (Windows or Unix) for config/management tips. O’Reilly are usually my goto for reference. They do bundles for Kindle on Unix, Perl, that sort of thing which are good.

growinglad
    Free Member

I know it’s not on-line and I don’t know how up to date it is, but I read this ohhhhh more years than I care to remember and have been working in Networks since:

How in depth do you want to get?

Cisco qualifications are always worth while and if you read the books rather than been a CCpdf, you will learn some useful skills.

With that said, if you get serious about things, don’t by afraid to learn about other vendors other than Cisco.

Unix, tried that once, interesting stuff, but didn’t click for me….but if you can pick up some scripting, always useful.

kcal

he he the Tanenbaum book was my set book for the topic at university. It was good.. may still have it lurking in the bookshelf somewhere..

willard

Dammit! I have that Tanenbaum book on my shelf here. Own up, who has the Stroustrup C++ book as well?

kcal

nah, just a battered K&R C (not the 2nd edition). That any use ? 🙂

footflaps

Dammit! I have that Tanenbaum book on my shelf here. Own up, who has the Stroustrup C++ book as well?

C++ hadn’t been invented when I went to University and Ethernet was still coax based!

brassneck

Linux (RHEL or Debian / Ubuntu) is a better shout these days if it’s for employment purposes, plus you can get to a very good level for nothing – everything you need is downloadable. IP networks, UUCP won’t be of much use other than in pissing contests with other geeks. Learning v6 now is a good idea, just in case it ever happens 😉

Before you get flamed
    Linux is not UNIX
    {But to all intents and purposes it is you just must never say it :-)}

vorlich
    Free Member

Are there any decent resources online to learn about UNIX and Networks?

Yeah tons. I’m a Solaris admin and a large chunk of my job is just googling stuff. I basically get by on that and finger muscle memory. 😉

The great thing about unix is how elegant the command line is, it can be daunting at first, but persevere, it gets easier.

I’d suggest installing a Linux VM and setting yourself some challenges or give yourself a project like building a home NAS.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Own up, who has the Stroustrup C++ book as well?

I have a signed copy…

I also have The Elements of Programming Style

and Software Tools (the one in RatFor)

colp

Ethernet was still coax based!

That takes me back to drilling holes into cable to install a tap point around 1985.

codybrennan
    Free Member

I’d either:

1)Build a small network (2 machines should get you started), build one as a server (Ubuntu) and one as client (Ubuntu again), and just experiment

or

2)Build them as virtual machines on a biggish box if you have access to such a thing

willard

He (Stroustrup) came to Cambridge to do a talk a couple of years ago and we were keen on going there en masse, but the idea got canned when one of our team said that, if he went, it would be specifically to throw things at him.

He did not like C++ at all. Oddly, he though Perl was awesome.

twixhunter
    Free Member

Thanks all.

Good place this.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

That takes me back to drilling holes into cable to install a tap point around 1985.

It takes me back to the days of shorting the core and the shielding with the silver paper out of a fag packet so I could spend the afternoon <ahem> fault finding.
    Then moving to cat 5 and having enough t-pieces to try building things because it was like “the new lego” (no the child didn’t buy that one).
    All of leads on to the BOFH

oldnpastit

He did not like C++ at all. Oddly, he thought Perl was awesome.

/waves/

aracer
    Free Member

<geek> ahem, that’s gnu</geek>

Don’t need a very big box at all to do that – I have Proxmox* running as a test server on an X200 here and regularly have several VMs networking together running on that. Alternatively and decently powerful home PC should be capable of running a couple of VMs under VirtualBox (which is what I always used to use before I set up the Proxmox server).

* though I suppose Proxmox is Linux (Debian) and it helps to know a bit of Linux/Unix networking to set that up”

willard

Agreed. I have a not very chunky i5 box under my desk that has several disks in and is happy running VirtualBox. and a load of linux VMs.

It just seems to work, which is nice, apart from Security Onion, which doesn’t like the setup I have. I do have to ask myself if my home network really needs an IDS though. I mean, Kali, yes, but other stuff?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Big is relative; I’ve no idea what the OP has re h/w (if any). Was just covering myself.

aracer
    Free Member

Of course, but just pointing out that big doesn’t mean a server, or anything close to that – not for Proxmox (other virtualisation management systems are available) which is designed to run on a “server”, let alone Virtualbox which isn’t. I don’t suppose anybody would describe my Core2 X200 as “biggish” though” (given that’s 64 bit, it’s close to minimum spec for that). I note that the performance is rubbish running Proxmox under VirtualBox or vice versa though as it doesn’t seem possible to have a VM with hardware virtualisation (yes I’ve tried 😳 )

Going way OT though, has the OP been back to clarify what he’s doing?

twixhunter
    Free Member

I’ve been advised to learn a bit about AIX and possibly only possibly Oracle TRAC (sp?).

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘UNIX, Networks – talk to me’ is closed to new replies.