Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • University as a mature student?
  • lizzz
    Free Member

I’m thinking about it. Has anyone on here actually gone to University as an adult?
    Did you enjoy it, was it easier or tougher than you expected, did you regret it? Did you feel unbearably old compared to the teenagers?

Let’s hear your experiences, tell me everything!

aleonardwilliams
    Free Member

how mature do you mean?
    I went back and did an MSc when I was 28. kind of ignored all the kids and treated like a job and just got on with it. what I did find annoying was the difference in efficiency and the hours kept between the academic and commercial world – want to speak to a lecturer at 3pm on a Friday??? ha!

Gary_M
    Free Member

I went to uni when I was 27 and really enjoyed it. There were other people around my age which helped a lot, think I would have struggled if it was all 18 year olds.

I terms of learning and exams I found it easy, much easier than the young uns did.

I didn’t feel old, but again I was part of a group of people of a similar age.

There were older people on our course – a woman in her 40’s and a guy in his late 50’s – they both struggled and left after 2nd and 1st year respectively.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    perthmtb
    Free Member

Do it!

I went back to ‘school’ as a well mature student at the ripe old age of 47. Just finished my PhD and getting back onto the treadmill 🙁

Plusses:-

– Its great to get away from the office politics and endless re-organisations, and be a carefree naiive student again who thinks they can change the world!

– As a mature student you get to hit on the other students and the staff 😀

– Its a great way to blow away the cobwebs of adulthood, and just enjoy the simple pleasure of learning something new again.

– Uni is so much more flexible these days, with online learning, no exams 😯 if you’re lucky, and you can pretty much design your own course from what’s on offer!

Minuses:-

– It doesn’t look good on the CV, employers don’t value it, and wonder what’s wrong with you – so don’t stay there too long before you get back into the workforce.

– Pay is cr@p!

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’ve known a few mature students, some of whom are now university lecturers/researchers, so certainly does work for some. I think they are more likely to be motivated by the subject, which is nice. You quite likely won’t have the full 18 year old university experience of spending 100% of the time pissed and not really working hard on the course, but on the other hand, you have the potential to get a lot more out of the academic side of things.

On the down side, if you have more distractions, things like kids, family, part time work to fund the course or whatever, you may find it harder than a carefree 18 year old and be more likely to drop out.

the difference in efficiency and the hours kept between the academic and commercial world – want to speak to a lecturer at 3pm on a Friday??? ha!

It’s not a lack of efficiency, it is that teaching you is only a part of their job, and being available in the office is no reflection on how good they are at their job as a whole. That’s why they tend to have defined things like office hours when they are at the beck and call of students, otherwise there would be no hiding, and you’d get no research done. Overall I’ve never met anyone who worked as hard as most academics do. They don’t sit in an office all day for no reason, but I find it is disturbing the number of emails about projects or check ins of code that you see happening at 1am in the morning on a Saturday. Whereas when I worked in companies, you were in the office all day, but far less work got done, and people could piss around completely most of the day and still get dragged along by their colleagues. What you’re mistaking for ‘efficiency’, is basically presenteeism – the idea that efficiency can be measured by the amount of time you spend sat in a particular place, as opposed to by what you get done.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I did a chemistry degree at 25 – was a but if a culture shock. I had definitely been a bit of a rebel in my teens – so walking in on the first day to a sea of geeky 18 year olds (mainly boys) did make me wonder if it was a wise move.

I found it ok even though sheffield university chemists definitely do the hours – we would usually still be in labs at 5 on a friday, doing around 30 weeks of lectures and lab work. if you want to do less lectures dont do science!

fitting it ariund kids was ok but definitely felt my needs were better understood 10 years later when I did a post graduate course and where everyone was ‘mature’

freeagent
    Free Member

Yep, I did it, at 31 (i’m 40 now)
    Went back ‘full time’ to do Design Technology/Engineering.
    I loved it, I mixed in pretty well with the ‘young-uns’ (there were a few older guys on my course, but I think I was the oldest)
    My top bit of advice is treat it as a full time job, if you work at it 9-4.30 5 days a week you rarely/never have to pull all-nighters or work at weekends, despite what most students will tell you.
    If you approach it in a structured way, it really isn’t difficult, and easy to fit in some part time work.
    Oh – and before anyone starts going on about how many hours they put in to get a good grade – I got a first, and think I only worked on the last 4 weekends before my disertation had to be in.
    The slack attitude of some of the younger students will amaze you – afterall in some way or another Uni is costing you money as a mature student, so you’d want to get the most out of it.

It really changed my life (wouldn’t have got the job I have now without it) and I’ve got no regrets.
    Only other bit of advice i’d offer is be sure what you want to do and why – If you do it just for something to do, you will get bored with it.

konabunny
    Free Member

My bro and I have both been there, done it, don’t regret it but are conscious that it almost cost us our (quasi-) marriages (not to each other).

It’s not a lack of efficiency, it is that teaching you is only a part of their job, and being available in the office is no reflection on how good they are at their job as a whole.

Bah, humbug.

geoffj

I did an MSc full time (my second) when I was 30 – it was very enjoyable and a nice break from the office situation. The other students were great and I really enjoyed it.
    I’m just finishing an MBA (part time with the OU). That’s been great too, but harder work than I expected and a bit of a grind at times.
    Its ALWAYS good to learn something new.

ericemel
    Free Member

I went back at 25 (ok not that mature) and don’t regret it in the slightest.

Negatives – quite used to having money, I was probably earning £18k at the time (10yrs ago) which was OK and when I left my first job was for the same £££ – kinda depressing

Positives – great time and great people and now I earn a whole lot more – did a degree help? For me I would say yes and I probably wouldn’t look at a CV that wasn’t from a graduate now when I recruit.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Normal aged students will have an irrational hatred of you. Just sayin.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Bah, humbug.

That isn’t moaning. If you want to hear me grumpy, wait till June, and then say “I bet you’re looking forward to your 2 month holiday”*. I’ve already had someone ask me if I’m enjoying my half term this week – even the students don’t get a half term break.

Joe
    *In case anyone doesn’t know, no, academics don’t go away when the students go away. That is when people get the bulk of their research done.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Oh, and another thought…

Don’t assume you have to do it locally. I moved to Australia (with my wife and daughter) to do my degree, so it was a real breath of fresh air (literally), and I’m now going thru the process of getting residency to stay and work here.

Mind, I didn’t qualify for ‘domestic student’ rates in the UK, so it was going to be the same cost no matter where I studied. But, it doesn’t always have to be more expensive to study abroad – there’s scholarships around, and easier to work your way thru in the US and Australia than it is in the UK, partly because the system is set up that way – lots of student jobs around in Uni towns – but also just cos the economy is better…

So, if you’re gonna make a lifestyle change, why not go the whole hog and study in a whole different country…

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Another +1, just get on with it ! Make it happen.

I was 32 when I started my degree.
    It was initially weird getting back into the habit of learning.
    Other students were fab, young but good bunch. Most didnt remember live aid which was depressing 😉
    As a mature student you often have other commitments which can make it more difficult.
    The pay is indeed crap. 🙁
    The free time to ride is fab. 🙂
    You are likely going there for a purpose, many younger students are just following a path with little direction… this can be weird.

lizzz
    Free Member

Some good points there guys, I like the one about considering it as being like a 9-5 job… when I was younger there’s no way I would have the self-discipline to actually sit down and do the work outside of timetabled classes, but I think I could manage that now without too much difficulty!

It would obviously be quite a big commitment (I’ll be honest, quitting my secure job to live on student money is worrying me!), but it’s reassuring to see so many people have gone for it as an adult and found it a positive experience!

CaptJon
    Free Member

From a lecturer’s perspective, do it. But make sure you pick the right degree, and the right course. There is a lot of difference between how degrees are taught, their experience with mature students, the kind of students on the same course, types of assessment, the list goes on. Do you research and find the right fit and it will be much more enjoyable.

bokonon
    Free Member

I’ve taught mature students – those who embrace the whole thing got on really well, the ones who did not tended to be those who tried to mother (for want of a better word) the 18 year old students – complaining that 18yo boys talk about willies or sex, or drinking (not in class) is tilting at windmills in my opinion – but I’ve had mature students complain that I should do something about this as a lecturer – these people are often those who drop out.

The people that rise above the immaturity of the 18yo students tend to be the ones that do really well, they are often the most dedicated, and the ones who pester me to look over work, arrange meetings to discuss things and generally model students.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Has anyone done it as a single parent/carer?

Are the lecture times etc fairly friendly for someone with kids of school age?

Pigface
    Free Member

I went in my 40’s and I wasnt the eldest, did my second year in Finland which was brilliant.

I treated it like a job, didnt miss any lectures and the dissertation was a dodle just took some discipline. Everyday in the Easter hols did 500 words, zero stress. Really enjoyed it. Never got hit on but I guess my user name explains that 😆

Only drawback was that coming back for the third year was a bit like starting again, people had forgotten about us a bit. Had a big fight about the marks we received in Finland not being recognized fully, that was really annoying but got sorted out.

Overall it was a good decision for me.

beckykirk43
    Free Member

One of my housemates for 2 years at uni was 10 years older than the rest of us, coming into it with a previous degree and experience of a different industry. He loved it I think, he’s now doing his master’s year and has been offered a PhD place, I think he’s hoping to stay in academia now – doing research + lecturing!
    (That was chemistry)

My great uncle has also done the mature student thing, although for entirely different reasons – he went back and studied archaeology after retiring from teaching geography for many years. He did it because he had the time and the money and it was something he was interested in!

I think as long as you go into it for a good reason, and will be able to afford it then it can’t be a bad thing!

Northwind

I was a regular student but my course had quite a few mature students and I was pretty friendly with a lot of them. Some of them had a harder time adjusting to it, some loved it, one dropped out after a year as she just wasn’t very happy. Another ended up neck-deep in student life despite being in his late 40s- running societies and clubs, out drinking all night, allegedly shagging half the year 🙂 Got a 2:2 like a proper student and everything. Legend. Some are like elder statesmen, some are like parents, some are like overgrown kids given the keys to the sweetshop, it’s great.

I agree with CaptJon- I work in university admissions and it’s really a good idea to speak to the universities and if possible the departments, rather than just going by the public info. They do vary a lot. If nothing else you should get a feel for their attitude to you (you’ll know immediately if they’re keen to sign you up! Not all will be, identikit school-leavers are sometimes seen as easier- totally wrong, but hey)

Should you? Entirely your call. I wish I could though! Will it be valuable in the workplace? It might, it might not. Will it be enjoyable? Up to you but it can be brilliant. It’s a path-less-followed and the people who do it tend to be very much their own people so one person’s experience might not apply to you at all, but if you know what you’re after then you’ll probably be able to find it.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Are the lecture times etc fairly friendly for someone with kids of school age?

Depends on the course and the university. Lectures etc. at Nottingham can be as early as 9am, which isn’t too bad if school drop offs aren’t far from the university, but as late as 6pm finish which would be a pain. People do it, but they will have to rely on childcare sometimes.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I went back to university to do my MSc in my late twenties. My career was in a massive rut and I wanted to branch out and do something different. It was certainly the right thing to do and as others on here have said the experience of learning when you go back as a mature student is far more satisfying. Having done the whole ‘student lifestyle’ thing when I was younger I was there to learn and get a qualification and found that attitude helped me get through the course.

There are usually a few mature students on most courses so you won’t be faced with an endless sea of silly haircuts, weird fashion and binging on alcopops

onewing
    Free Member

Hi

Do it you wont regret it. I went to uni in 2007 and completed in 2011. I got a 2.1 in Construction Management from Anglia Ruskin Uni.

I really enjoyed my time at uni. There was a great mixture of people on my course age range from 18 to 45. Both full and part time students.

I found it hard to start with but once you got into the habit of studying and learning, it does get easier. I enjoyed term time but once the end of the semester came, i couldn’t wait to get back too work.

The only thing that got on my nerves where the student that didn’t bother coming to lectures and then asked for copies of your notes. Also the students that just sat there talking in the lectures.

But all in. I really enjoyed my experience. Just a shame that im back doing a manual job again, as i cant find a job in construction.

crankygirl
    Free Member

I’m off back to uni in September, aged 38, and got an 18 month old son (and very supportive husband 🙂 Ta Crankboy if you’re reading this). I know it’s going to be hard work, but I’ve never been so motivated in my life. I’ll be studying Diagnostic Radiography, so essentially training to become a Radiographer – it’s a very career-focused move for me. Healthcare courses tend to have a much higher proportion of mature students, as it’s often a career change option, and people bring more life experience to the role. So the ‘mature’ side doesn’t worry me too much, as I won’t be that unusual on my course. Am hoping there’ll be a few other parents too.

I definitely plan to fit it into a 9-5 framework as much as I can, as our little lad will be at nursery so I want to be able to spend as much time as possible with him at weekends and evenings, and some afternoons when I don’t have assignments.

Money-wise yes it will be hard, but we’ve been living off one salary for the last year as I didn’t go back to my old job, and we seem to be managing. Luckily my tuition fees are paid by the NHS and I get a bursary, but the childcare costs will be eyewatering. We’re seeing it as an investment in the future, 3 years and then I’ll be earning again, and even my starting salary will be more than I earned in my last job, with much more potential for career progression.

It’s been interesting going to the open days and interviews and talking to the younger applicants – I have to say that they’ve all come across as a lot more sorted and mature than I was at that age, so even on a course without lots of mature students, don’t let it put you off unnecessarily.

Any ideas what you want to study?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Thanks for that Joe

Also – are these ‘foundation degrees’ worthwhile or a bit of a con?

background wise, I’ve GCSE’s and BTEC National in the early nineties, and a decade plus in relevant industry?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’m currently at uni, doing my first year and I’m 34. Loving it so far, not doing the same thing day in, day out is great. The thing that has helped me the most has been the internet…if I’d gone when I was 18, I know I would have struggled. Being able to look online for guides on writing essays/reports and how to reference properly has been a godsend (a lot of the uni sites are good for this).

Really look into the financial side of things, I’m lucky as my house is paid for…I live 30 miles from both uni’s I attend though, if I had to pay rent and run my car too, think it would be a stretch too far. That’s with me getting a grant that around the same amount as my loan too, due to me living alone.

Regarding feeling old compared to others, I started my course late so was told how old the others were (two folk are older than me!). The course I’d looked into originally has no mature students at all…I’m in certain lectures with that group and they all sit different corners of the room, in same sex groups and most aren’t even friends with one another on Facebook! I was only telling someone the other day I’m pleased I didn’t choose it instead. If I had of done it just means I’d spend more time working though, the thing I hadn’t considered was the social side of things (outdoor activities, not drinking!). I saw this quote above: “You are likely going there for a purpose, many younger students are just following a path with little direction… this can be weird”. I agree with this, I have no idea why a few on our course are actually there and wonder if they’ll see things through.

Zulu-Eleven Also – are these ‘foundation degrees’ worthwhile or a bit of a con?

I looked into a certain degree where I didn’t have the required grades to even get a look in, a foundation degree would have enabled me to though. I think they’re to get students up to speed or sort out the wheat from the chaff. I definitely didn’t want to do one as it would have been an extra year to put in. If you’ve the relevant experience of the subject, don’t bother and just make sure you know how to structure essays/reports.

bokonon
    Free Member

Also – are these ‘foundation degrees’ worthwhile or a bit of a con?

I’ve designed a Foundation degree in the past, and I don’t have a lot of faith in the usefulness of them.

The teaching etc. there is no problem, it will teach you lots of stuff, no doubt, but the acceptance isn’t anything like as much.

In some areas, an HND may well be accepted, but a BA/BSc is the defacto standard at that level.

The idea of an FD is the links with industry, and the potential for work based learning – if your employer (I think Ford did some pretty big developments in this area) has had one written/written one to fit in with their needs, then it can be a really god way to work, but the majority of them in my experience just don’t involve the level of work based learning I would like to see in them to make them workplace useful, and they don’t have the acceptance as a qualification to make them useful in a more general way.

d45yth
    Free Member

Ah, I didn’t realise the foundation courses were something someone would want as a standalone qualification. I thought they were a stepping stone to get into uni or for folk to see if it was going to suit them.

bokonon
    Free Member

Ah, I didn’t realise the foundation courses were something someone would want as a standalone qualification. I thought they were a stepping stone to get into uni or for folk to see if it was going to suit them.

That’s essentially what they have become – it wasn’t their original design. They should have been an opportunity for people who learn stuff as part of their job to get credit for that in an academic context.

The employer links were an integral part of it, and these are the bit which are missing.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

Zulu-Eleven – Member Has anyone done it as a single parent/carer?Are the lecture times etc fairly friendly for someone with kids of school age?

I was a single parent of two when I did my degree, fitted around the kids quite well. had a few evening lectures which I did actually take the kids to (they were 8&5 and quite happy to watch chemistry demonstrations.

the biggest clash I had was during exam times, 9am exams when the university kids holiday club opens at 8.30 and is over half an hour away – made for some interesting entrances to the exam hall!

the best bit abut doing it with school age kids is the freedom during holidays, and it works out reasonably well money wise as you still get a grant type payment for dependants so you dont have to brrow more than childless students

gazza100

At the age of 41 I have 10 weeks left until I finish second year. No regrets but personal life has ensured one or two difficulties came to the fore. Finances and time management can impinge on your studies.

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

I did my degree part time as a mature student. That was quite hard work as I was still working full time but I was focussed on what I wanted out of the course. I didn’t really do the more immersive student bit which I do regret a bit, but the effort was worth it in the end. I was 26 when I started and not the oldest on my course by a long way.

bruk

My wife is a lecturer and she would agree with the comments that most mature students treat it like a job and are more focused on the course than the young uns who are still enjoying the freedom of life away from home and the nightlife.

She teaches a very vocational course that has a highly competitive entry and the maturity shines through at the interview process.

Pick the right course, look for support and experience in the faculty of the needs of mature students and go for it.

dazzlingboy

At uni full time now at 41 (doing MSc in Outdoor Education) and going again next year to do a PGDE – so 2 years full time in total. Difficulties – money obviously. Slight feeling of being of an older generation. Pros – opening eyes to a whole new world – almost literally. Meeting people from around the world and getting a real change of scene. I would recommend it but eyes need to be wide open obviously. Happy to speak further or meet if you’re in Edinburgh area – email in profile.

As to other students having a hate of you ^^^ – haven’t seen any of that – depends on attitudes and people you’re with. If you’re studying at Masters level then you’ll find everyone is there to learn and the work is too hard to fanny about. If you’re back at undergrad level then ymmv.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘University as a mature student?’ is closed to new replies.