Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Universal headset removal and installation tools
  • sser
    Free Member

This is well overdue, but I need to start working on headsets at home instead of relying on LBS. Issue I have is that one bike has a 1.5” headset and I want to find a removal tool and headset press that will work on all bikes. Any help appreciated.

wwaswas

Cyclus headset press but you’ll need two sets of fittings. I bought a set of extra ‘plates’ (about 3 extra pairs) off someone on here that basically means mine fits all headsets and most PF BB’s

You need a crown fittign tool – most will do 1″, 1/18″ and 1.5″.

Also the removal tool – if you buy a proper one you can splay a 1 1/8″ one out a bit to fit a 1.5″ headtube but the right tool makes it a safer job with a carbon head tube.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Crowbar/large screwdriver for removal

Threaded bar with various size washers for installation- i use cut up inner tubes to protect the headset during installation- from marks not actual damage [ or hammer and blocks of wood]

Not sure on how much an engineered solution costs but a lot considering how easy it is to make something

I think you can buy pipe and then slice and flare them as removal tools as that is all the removal tool is anyway

matt_outandabout

Crowbar/large screwdriver for removal

I find an old socket set with long bar on works really well, plus hammer.

I have so far only ever installed headsets using a couple of blocks of wood, a second pair of hands to line it all up/hold still, and the Yorkshire screwdriver again. So far, its always gone in straight and simply (apart from one H/S that was long enough on the insert to make contact with a lump in the drainage/tube joint inside the headtube)

legend
    Free Member

I find an old socket set with long bar on works really well, plus hammer.

Old handlebar chopped in 2 works for me, upgrading to 35mm would make it even betterer

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Universal headset removal and installation tools’ is closed to new replies.