Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • United Airlines flight with a bike – any experiences / knowledge?
  • missnotax
    Free Member

Hiya 🙂

Just booked flights to the US in October for a weeks mtbing in Moab (woohoo!) and intend to fly with my bike. The carrier is United Airlines.

I’ve checked the bike policy and the charges are $200 each way for the bike bag – steep, but I would rather have MY bike out there. For a ‘once in a lifetime’ bike holiday I can kind-of accept that. The thing that’s confusing me is whether that counts as my one peice of free checked luggage? It seems to imply that on the website. So if I want to take a bag (with clothes etc in it), then I have to pay for that a second peice of checked luggage??

The friend i’m going out there with has flown with them before and is convinced that you get your normal ‘free’ checked bag on top of this…. But i’m not sure.

The other option is American Airlines (and changing the booking) – just looking into their policy now.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

paul78
    Free Member

You usually can take it as part of your checked luggage but check the max dimensions as they don’t allow anything but totally dismantling your bike to make it viable.

I adopt a policy of winging it .. turn up at airport if I get charged I pay though sometimes .. more often than not .. they just check my Evoc bike bag in for free … I can get (just) my cloths and riding gear in a carry on bag.

I would however check the rental bikes you can get in Moab as when I was there I rented a Tallboy LT and that was a run of mill hire bike there.

missnotax
    Free Member

Thanks 🙂

Ended up changing the booking to AA as there seemed too many horror stories about United.

There’s also no way I could fit all my clothes etc in a carry on bag (I am a girl after all…!), so I would definitely need an additional peice of checked baggage!

Interesting about rental. I have thought about it, but think I would miss my own bike too much. Plus i’m pretty short and getting bikes small enough can be a problem.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘United Airlines flight with a bike – any experiences / knowledge?’ is closed to new replies.