Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Unior Headset Press – Worth It?
  • Ben_H

Apart from wheels, I do all my own mechanical work.

I had a Cyclus headset press that I used for about three year – it cost £35 at the time (2007) but I see they’re now £50+.

Unfortunately, I somehow managed to strip the threads on the press and looked at replacement options. £50+ seems like a lot for what they are, so I gave a £4 “homemade” eBay press a go recently:

I’m happy to report that it did the job just fine. I really can’t see any reason to buy a more expensive one, unless you use your press much more often that the average home mechanic.

unovolo
    Free Member

So the Unior Headset press and other tools I ordered arrived today and very impressed with them,I have already used the Headset press to fit a 1″Headset to a older roadbike I’m refurbishing and it was a doddle.
    Even more impressed when you consider the Press,Pedal Spanner and Chain Tool came to £78 inc Shipping from the Czech Republic less than the Press on its own from Halfords.

granny_ring

Unfortunately, I somehow managed to strip the threads on the press

Blimey that was good going, it’s quite a chunky thread on those so dont know how you managed that Ben!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@unovolo Where did you order the kit from please mate?

I wanted a BB tool and Halfords sent me the pedal spanner instead! D’oh!

honourablegeorge

Where did you order from, unovolo?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

TELL US! TELL US!

avdave2

He put a link in an earlier post but I couldn’t find the press on the linked site. I too would love to know where I could get it for that price.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Ah:

http://www.eu-bikeshop.com/g97/tools/ Seems to be the go to place. He also mentioned an eBay shop. Wish I’d seen that link sooner!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@avdave2 Look for bearing press.

Don’t like that your address data is all entered unencrypted. Could be anyone you’re giving the details to.

avdave2

Thanks curiousyellow

unovolo
    Free Member

Yep , eu-bikeshop is the place to go.

I saw them on ebay first and thought I would have a look to see if they have a webstore too(which they do).

The prices on the webstore seem slightly cheaper than their ebay store(probably to cover ebay costs)

All seems genuine enough I had prompt email replies,emails to say order received/dispatched inc Tracking no’s.

And can’t fault there prices,link to headset press below

http://www.eu-bikeshop.com/i13896/u616290-new-unior-bearing-cup-press-1680-4/

Plus I paid via Paypal so if theres any problems they will feel my wrath!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Paid via Paypal as well. How long did it take to turn up? Did you say 3 working days?

avdave2

curiousyellow – how much did it cost you with the postage? I’m certainly tempted, I’ve made a home made press but found it struggles with the initial line up and ended up using the rubber mallet to start it off.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

1.56 to the pound. Ordered some other kit too.

unovolo
    Free Member

Took about 5 days for the postage which I don’t think is unreasonable especially with the cost savings involved.

Postage for me was $15.99 which was for a Pedal wrench,Chain Tool and the Headset press was is a couple of Kilos on its own.

The headset press is definetly a good bit of kit I don’t know how it compares to others but makes fitting a doddle.

I have used a mallet and block of wood in the past and also a home made creation with threaded bar,all seem to work to varying degrees but the proper tool is much easier and more professional and for me as I intend to do more bikebuilding and repair work is a worthy investment.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Definitely not unreasonable. Ordered on 29th, dispatched today. Let’s see when it turns up.

avdave2

I think I’ll put a list together for Santa.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Still not here. Unovolo, did you have to sign for the package?

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Turned up today. Looks like it was held up for over a week in the UK!

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Unior Headset Press – Worth It?’ is closed to new replies.