Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • uninstalling vista – installing xp
  • macmclaren
    Free Member

ive got a pretty basic Dell Inspiron 1545 that does everything i need but im a complete hater of vista. I want to install xp. Im know only low-level computer stuff.

Will i have an absolute epic or is it a reasonably easy experience.

im assuming that getting all the drivers installed will be the tricky part.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

do you have the original recovery disks that came with the computer? Once you’ve backed up all your data files the recovery disks are the easiest way of getting your computer back to a clean original build (I have assumed you have installed Vista on a machine originally installed with XP)

z1ppy

download your drivers (and test they work) onto another disc or media before installing xp.
    Getting the useful viewers/utils before you start helps too (adobe reader/winzip/picaso/power toys etc).

S’not the epic some ppl seem to describe it as, just a matter of being thorough.
    If you’ve got the drivers before you re-install it a piece of pi$$, it when ppl re-install and then start asking “what drivers do I need?” that it get complicated.

Having screen shots of the device manager before you wipe off vista is always a good start but as it’s a dell it should be easy to identify and download the correct drivers without this.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    rOcKeTdOg

what’s wrong with vista?, i’ve had no trouble with it, are the differences so big it’s worth the hassle of uninstall and reinstall?

Stoner
    Free Member

vista on a new computer is fine IMO.

Vista as an upgrade can be a bit picky.

molgrips
    Free Member

im a complete hater of vista

Get a life.. Vista works, stop worrying about it. You’ll be in for no end of hassle if you start buggering about with it without knowing exactly what you’re doing. Vista runs fine – if your computer’s slow then it’s how it’s been configured by Dell that’s the problem, or some other kind of mal-ware you’ve picked up.

If it’s the whizzy graphics etc that you don’t like they can all be turned off. It can be made to look more traditional for the luddites.

macmclaren
    Free Member

Get a life.. Vista works, stop worrying about it.

Bloody hell thats a bit strong molgrips. i just really liked xp over vista. simple.

hope u all had a good weekend 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok fair play, sorry.

I think you can make Vista look like XP. And you can turn off those confirmation dialogs that keep popping up.

You’ll be better off working with Vista and making it how you like, I reckon.

Hairychested
    Free Member

Get it customised so it still looks like XP, not too difficult. Do you still drive the leaded-petrol car? They were lovely too. Happy fiddling!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘uninstalling vista – installing xp’ is closed to new replies.