Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Unfinished building work – who should I report tradesmen too?
  • beamers

Evening all.

About 14 months ago we had our Rayburn flue extended by a reputable Aberdeenshire installer of stoves, flues, solid fuel cookers etc.

Whilst they completed all of the building and installation work they still haven’t come back to provide the certification for the work. We have asked them to do so and they have fobbed us off a couple of times.

There terms and conditions were such that payment needed to be made up front.

Who should I report them to?

Many thanks in advance.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

There terms and conditions were such that payment needed to be made up front.

Were they cheap?

beamers

Eye wateringly expensive. Hutchesons of Portsoy.

wrightyson
    Free Member

As in no hetas Certificate?

bruneep

Rayburn?

or a small claims for the cost of an inspection

pedropete

They claim to be HETAS registered, which enables them to self- certify their installations as compliant with building regs, so I would approach HETAS

ninfan
    Free Member

As above, I suspect it’s ‘letter before action’ stating they promised certificate that has not come, an that if not sorted you will seek the cost of completion of work and independent certification through small claims court

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did it require building control sign off ? Flue extension shouldnt really, unless it was a really long extension.

Hetas installers cant self certify in scotland.

At best you might get a letter saying -” we extended beamers flue pipe”

kcal

Facebook / Twitter storm?

martinhutch

Have you threatened to report them to OFTEC? They appear to be registered with them.

http://www.oftec.org.uk/consumers/complaints-process

Not sure that failure to provide certification falls entirely within the scope of their complaints process, but you don’t know they’ve installed it safely if they haven’t certified it as such, do you?

allthepies
    Free Member

Yeah, kick it all off in the flue installation social media world. 8)

gonzy
    Free Member

Who should I report them to?

Dominic Littlewood of course!! 😉

beamers

Thanks all.

They are supposed to have supplied is with a data plate which is mentioned in the HETAS website. I’ll give the company a call on Fri and let them know that I am going to report then to HETAS.

What has been frustrating is that their customer service has been shocking, they charged a fortune for the work and we had to pay in advance. They made a right mess when they carried out the initial work and managed to put a dent in the section of flue that comes down into the kitchen.

One stern tongue lashing from Mrs B later and they were back to rectify their mistakes and clear up.

They appear to be fobbing us off with the data plate though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Unfinished building work – who should I report tradesmen too?’ is closed to new replies.