• This topic has 121 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by copa.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)
  • Unexpected Strava results
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Went out for a 2 hour spin on the road last night, gave it a moderate amount of beans, and got some top ten overalls.. ON CLIMBS! On segments with a few hundred riders!

This surprised me quite a bit, and I would like to broadcast my self-satisfaction to the internet 🙂

nickc

I got a KOM a while ago, and I think I told everyone I knew. 😆 And stopped randoms in the street an everything!!

nice one 🙂

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Nice one, dip that biscuit of self-satisfaction in hot steaming mug of gloat.

Two KOMs in two days last week, including beating Jack Pullar of pedal heaven.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Your on Premium and in settings your a 30 stone 60 yr old woman?

You left Garmin turned on for the drive home?

You loaned your fitter mate your GPS?

perchypanther
    Free Member

New e-bike? 😀

M6TTF
    Free Member

i forgot to stop strava the other week, and racked up a tidy number of KOM’s in the car driving home

sandwicheater

I’ve never had a KOM 😥
    Can i stand by you and share in some of your awesomzzzs?

molgrips
    Free Member

I got a KOM a while ago

Ah, I have none of them to my name. I did have a KOM on a segment that was a particular combination of (uphill) trails that few people apparently ride, and didn’t know until I lost it recently. I am several places ahead of taxi25 though which is important.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I am currently King of an insignificant hillock.
    It’s small but it’s mine.

steve_b77
    Free Member

sandwicheater – Member
    I’ve never had a KOM

I suggest you give up now and take up knitting

fasthaggis

Very well done OP

Do you KOM much in the week?

Were you drafting Saxon Rider?

The awesome is truly at max in this thread.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Always fun when you get home and discover a KOM on some backwards little segment you never knew existed.
    And hilarious 2 days later when the previous owner goes out to reclaim his KOM on a segment with <10 riders.

taxi25
    Free Member

I am several places ahead of taxi25 though which is important

Only until I find out which segment your on about 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Always fun when you get home and discover a KOM on some backwards little segment you never knew existed.

+1

I was KOM on a flat-ish farm track, by a good couple of minutes, whilst riding my SS, only 3 people on the leader board.

The previous leader rode it several times in the next few weeks to put a better time down.

So I went back and smashed it on the geared bike 😈

I didn’t deserve it, I’m not quick, but it’s the principle of the thing!

nickc

Oh god yes, my KOM is a teeny little thing that I think 30 people have done haha. But it’s mine, mine I tell you!!

I tried for a running one a while back, the KOM is something like 12 seconds faster than my PB, I almost killed myself the other day trying to get it, literally gasping to hold back the vom…still 8 seconds off!

bastard Strava 😆

perchypanther
    Free Member

Oh god yes, my KOM is a teeny little thing that I think 30 people have done haha. But it’s mine, mine I tell you!!

31 attempts by 10 people – 6 of those attempts are mine.
    At least 7 or 8 other people weren’t actually trying.

Top of the world, Ma!

matts
    Free Member

I’ve never had a KOM

Just do what most people do and create a new one in some obscure place. “Down wubble street then up and down Dave’s drive” or “17 times round the A13 roundabout then into the hedge for a piss”

I play a game every day after my London commute where I hide all the random segments that people have created.

The most annoying thing about KOMs is when you take them while on holiday, they stand for years, then someone nabs it off you. “Arrggh, I’m going to have to take the family go back to timbuktu now so I can do a bike ride and take that back!”

molgrips
    Free Member

Only until I find out which segment your on about

I’m keeping schtum this time.

Last night I also got 4th overall on a flat straight road segment after a descent, about 50m long! Pretty silly but tempting to go back and smash it to bits sprinting flat out. Ridiculous segment.

scaredypants

I have 3 road KOMs

one is 1/1 😀
    one is 1/99 but it’s my entire ride whilst a small section of other peoples rides
    one is 1/9000 or so but it’s a downhill segment and I used to be a mountainbiker so I have great handling skillz innit 8) (and great weight, and I’ve ridden it a hundred-odd times and I set the KOM with a 10 mph tailwind)

don’t go away thinking I’m not awesome though, cos I AM

ehrob

I set a time on a segment the other day on a road I didn’t ride on. I just rode near it, and roughly in the same direction as the segment, on a cycle path.

This tells me all I need to know about Strava.

All the KOMs round my regular Tweed Valley haunts were set by either EWS riders or Ru Cunningham, so are very much safe from me. And everyone else.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i got a top 10 yesterday down the rocks of derry burn segment – on a loaded rigid bike. I was happy.

im sure the german with the broken ankle i was raising alarm for was happy with our haist on the downhill as well – i think our exit from fords of avon would have given all but the hardiest mountain runner a good challenge.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dont wiggle do a nice Top 10 Strava top.

£29.99 last time I checked

perchypanther
    Free Member

Northwind

sandwicheater – Member

I’ve never had a KOM

I held the KOM for the innerleithen downhill pushup for ages 😆 I push like a champ apparently.

A lot of the places I ride, there’s a load of GPS errors/cheats at the top mixed in with a bunch of pros and world champs, so there’s not that much point thinking about KOMS (unless you’re bloomin Raddogair), at that point you might as well just switch to percentiles. Being 400th out of 14000 is much the same as being 4th out of 140 I figure.

Junkyard
    Free Member

one KOM which is very lightly contested

One stolen that I will get back when I can be arsed again lightly contested.
    A few top 10 which sounds ok but it means I am about 3 mins slower than the top 3 – 20 ish minute climbs.

lucky to get top 10% downhill off road.

philjunior
    Free Member

ehrob – Member
    I set a time on a segment the other day on a road I didn’t ride on. I just rode near it, and roughly in the same direction as the segment, on a cycle path.

This tells me all I need to know about Strava.

I got confused on one of my regular routes that there was a “Jump Line” that generally got included. Turns out there is a jump line, it’s just 10-20m away from the trail I was riding and was hidden by thick forest from my direction of approach. Another annoyance is a little swoopy bit that runs next to a tarmac path on an old railway line. I tried to add a segment on the swoopy bit, but it picked up on a ride I’d done on the railway line on the road bike. 🙁 It would be good if there was some sort of “accuracy” option or something so you could set up segments like this properly. But then again it is only Strava.

(I have quite a few KOMs, but I’m more proud of my 2nd or 3rd place time on an incline that was on the commonwealth games TT course)

eightyeight
    Free Member

A lot of the places I ride, there’s a load of GPS errors/cheats at the top mixed in with a bunch of pros and world champs, so there’s not that much point thinking about KOMS (unless you’re bloomin Raddogair), at that point you might as well just switch to percentiles. Being 400th out of 14000 is much the same as being 4th out of 140 I figure.

This.I’m 198/6229 on the Hope Line which provides me with some comfort. I almost died, but still.

I got a random 7th trophy on a climb on Monday, but that hasn’t gone to my head as there were two people waiting for me at the top of the hill 🙁

perchypanther
    Free Member

there’s not that much point thinking about KOMS (unless you’re bloomin Raddogair)

I’m ahead of this distinguished gentleman on the leaderboards of a couple of our local trails. 😀
    I am under no illusion ,however, that this is due to anything other than him not even trying and me toiling like a loon. 😳

Pretty sure that’ll have changed by this time next week if he reads this. 😉

Edit – Just checked his Strava and compared his list of KOM’s to mine.

Final score :

Perchypanther – 1
    Raddogair – 15 pages worth ( about 300-ish) 😯

whitestone
    Free Member

A lot of the hill KOMs around us are held by professional or semi-pro riders. People like Tom Moses (JLT Condor), Paul Oldham (won last year’s Three Peaks CX race) or Tejvan Pettinger (British national hill champion).

I know my place!

mark90
    Free Member

Went out for an evening ride the other night one one of my regular routes and got 6 pb’s some up some down including one 8th oa on a dh segment. Not much but it made my day week 😀

I had only just fitted wider bars and shorter stem, so this scientific evidence that wider bars and shorter stem are undoubtedly faster.

scotroutes

9 KOMs. Mostly out-of-the-way little segments. The most ridden has 594 other times on it.

Set on a random selection of bikes too – even some on the fatbike

jam-bo
    nedrapier

cheers Jambo, I just found out I have a KOM! 1/60. Little hidden half segment following most of another segment I’ve got a 6th fastest on. Short (17s) and all under trees, so massively debatable anyway.

That was unexpected! Still, good to know. 8)

taxi25
    Free Member

Ah, I have none of them to my name

Not giving yourself credit MG, you’ve still got this one

Check out this segment on Strava: https://www.strava.com/segments/3770401 — Castell Coch Loop

More of a route really, but very tough. I had one go at it, couldn’t beat your time and never fancied another go 🙁

Edit. Quote and comment seems to have reversed themselves ?

whitestone
    Free Member

You don’t need the map: Go to your profile page and on the left there’s the “Overview”. This is actually a tab, just click on the “KOMs/CRs” tab and they are all listed. You can do this on anyone else’s profile as well.

birdage

This is why I use Map My Ride. I feel good about myself being King of a small Kingdom. I don’t need the stress.

weeksy

Thanks to the link above I have just found out I have 2 KOMs in the world. One near me at Hackney Bottom, although I have no idea where it is… the good news is that all the other riders are the locals around our village 🙂

The other is in an small village in Burgundy and I’m the only person who’s ridden it..

nedrapier

whitstone – I could have done that, yes, but it was idle clicking to see how the info showed up, if it was like a heatmap, I thought I’d be looking at jambo’s.

I knew I had no KOMs, because I’ve never seen one on any of the rides I’ve posted. Even looking back at the ride where I posted that one I do have, it doesn’t show up on “Top results”

njee20
    Free Member

Great distribution of KOMs, 48 in the South-East of the UK and one (gondola) in the Alps! 😆

prawny

Ooh, I’ve got 3 that was a surprise, I’d forgotten I’d set up a segment that goes from my office to the village I used to live in 😆 1/1 on that one

The other two are also debatable, but at lease there’s other people on them and they’re well over 20 mins long each so gps errors shouldn’t be a factor. Traffic on the other hand…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 122 total)

The topic ‘Unexpected Strava results’ is closed to new replies.