Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • unexpected customer service
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

I bought a Mio 505 GPS unit on New Yrs Eve 2013, it went wonky New Yrs Eve 2014. Because of the holiday it meant that it was technically over 12 months & out of warranty by the time I could get it to the retailer, which was Halfords.
    Halfords sent it back & there was a bit of too’ing and fro’ing before Halfords eventually gave me a shop demo model.
    That started playing up a couple of months ago & eventually went senile, not responding to touch screen commands & being basically unusable. I followed the website instructions & dumped/reloaded the relevant software but to no avail.
    I contacted Mio UK, got an email back to say they were looking into it then another mail saying they were happy to send me a free replacement and could they have my postal address!

I was prepared to pay for the repair so was very happily surprised to say the least, just off to pick it up from the PO now.

onandon
    Free Member

Good of them, but two went wonky and you want another one?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well, the first was possibly my fault as the charger plug went POP! and shorted the fuse box – wasn’t the standard charger/cable so my fault?
    Anyway, its cheaper than buying a new unit.

Drac

Don’t be coming on here with your good customer service. This place is to moan about orders not arriving as soon as you click confirm purchase.

Cougar

Warranty aside, you’d probably have had a case under SoGA / EU rulings. Still, always good when you don’t have to play that card.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    Warranty aside, you’d probably have had a case under SoGA / EU rulings. Still, always good when you don’t have to play that card.

After 18 months?

Cougar

Two years on electrical items under EU law, though broadly untested in the UK many retailers don’t want to chance their arm and will honour it when pressed.

SoGA states goods have to last “a reasonable amount of time” and that can be up to six years. “Reasonable” is tricky to define, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a £300+ GPS unit to last two years. A £20 unit, not so much.

cynic-al
    Free Member

:thumbsup:

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well, they’ve upgraded me from the UK & Ireland mapping to full European maps device, plus it came with a HR strap & wireless cadence/speed monitor!
    Now, if I can only get the damn thing to register to my account..

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Update:
    . Was having some trouble getting the unit to link up to my existing Mioshare account so sent another email off. They asked for the serial number, got home tonight & its all been sorted 😀
    Have to say I’m impressed, I was quite expecting to have to pay for a repair so to be gifted a new (better) version & to have them set it all up for me was a very pleasant surprise.
    Chapeau to Mio UK & their PR people at Brands2Life for all that.

CountZero

Another example from a while back, my first digital camera, a Nikon Coolpix 5200 suddenly started showing wierd lines down images, until photos were just noise, so I put it away and bought a LUMIX compact. Some time later I saw something about sensor problems on a batch of Coolpix cameras, and were being replaced, so I contacted Nikon, and sent it back. They replaced the sensor free of charge on a camera that was around seven years old!
    I was impressed. 😀

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘unexpected customer service’ is closed to new replies.