Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Unelected ….
  • MrWoppit
    Free Member

… religious fanatics worm their way through the back door (held open by CallMeDave).

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/laurie-penny-say-it-again-its-our-right-to-choose-2288921.html

wwaswas

the number of churches that openly encourage their members to become school governors so they can influence school policy in ‘moral’ areas is worrying too.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

It is an absolute disgrace that LIFE have been allowed into a government forum on sexual health.

phil.w
    Free Member

Back to the Victorian times for sex education then.

Lifer
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have a problem with Life being on it, it’s the fact they’ve bumped BPAS who actually provide the service they’re supposed to be advising on.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

lifer – really>

LIFE believe sex education leads to teenage pregnancy and are against terminations in all instances.

A thoroughly nasty outfit.

Lifer
    Free Member

No fan of them! But it is necessary to get a wide spectrum of views, no matter how distasteful you find them – it stops the pro-lifers shouting about how they’re not being represented (which is pretty much the only way they can get in the news). A bigger issue is their lack of experience on the subject (HIV and sexual health) and that they’ve been chosen in favour of BPAS.

Additionally they’ve also been appointed to the Sex and Relationships panel (can’t remember the exact name) so are getting their views across on two fronts.

totalshell

in Gb we benefit from the most comprehensive sex education in the EU the result.. more teenage pregnancies and abortions than anywhere else in the EU telling kids to just say No might actually have some merit.
    Mrs Ts is a pharmacist, she is compelled to administer the ‘morning after pill’ to anyone competant to ask for it ( eg over 12) her pharmacy is less than a mile from two large secondary schools on monday mornings she always has kids lined up waiting for her to open..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

That sounds terrible TS, where are these schools?

kimbers

totalshell – Member
    in Gb we benefit from the most comprehensive sex education in the EU the result.. more teenage pregnancies and abortions than anywhere else in the EU telling kids to just say No might actually have some merit.

is smell bs, evidence please?

all i can find is that sex ed starts later in the uk than in many equivalent eu countries

wwaswas

wtf is ‘Durex Give and Receive’?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Come here darlin’ I’ll show ya

retro83
    Free Member

Interesting thread.

Independent
    These attacks are often dressed up in the language of compassion, cloaked in hand-wringing arguments that women’s sexual and reproductive choices need to be confiscated for their own protection. A 10-minute rule Bill that would encourage “abstinence-based” sex education for girls only is billed as “protecting” girls from a dangerous world of “sexualisation”. The Bill was tabled by Nadine Dorries MP, who was shown in a 2008 Dispatches documentary nodding and smiling as the spokesperson for a Christian fundamentalist organisation drafted anti-abortion amendments on her behalf.

Reading her Wiki page, Nadine appears to be rather a blight on the country.

wwaswas

She’s as mad as a box of frogs, tbh.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Unelected ….

What has it got to do with being “unelected” ? Is this the first time you have ever heard of government advisers Woppit ? …….. I can’t believe that. Or did you just add that meaningless comment because you thought it would add a more shocking angle to a story which you weren’t certain could stand on its own merit ?

crikey
    Free Member

I smell and call bs too.

Sex education in the UK is poor, and is one of the reasons we have such a high rate if teenage pregnancies compared to Scandinavia and the Netherlands.

crikey
    Free Member

Ernie, why not address the subject instead of the proposer?

Play the ball, not the man.

Lifer
    Free Member

Check out Tim Ireland @ http://www.bloggerheads.com/ for the full Dorries story, it’s disgraceful that she’s still an MP.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Ernie’s point is perfectly valid.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

totalshell – Member

Rubbish – we have some of the worst sex education in the EU hence the poor sexual health of our youth

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

TJ’s point is perfectly valid.

BoardinBob

her pharmacy is less than a mile from two large secondary schools on monday mornings she always has kids lined up waiting for her to open..

Address please…

mefty
    Free Member

It is always good to see so called liberals express such illiberal views – but they of course have a monopoly on wisdom.

totalshell

my five year old daughter has started her sex education at school only last month we recieved a detailed breakdown of what information each year group would be recieving so that as parents we could discuss properly with the kids.. what goes on in the classroom is one thing countered only by the discussions my eight year old and the other brownies have each thursday on the way to and from the pack meeting ( last week they spoke of the probability of the ‘Exorcist’ been fiction rather than fact based.)

address please

check out any community pharmacy with a ‘consulting room’ ( most pharmacies have them now) the young lady/ child in asking for the service will have to answer some basic questions from the pharmacist and take the first of two doses in front of the pharmacist if she is appropriate to receive the service. (its free to all, the PCT pays the pharmacy a hefty wedge for providing it and Mrs Ts has minimum targets to achieve)
    mrs Ts is more than a little uneasy morally having to provide this service, especially to those attending in school uniform.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I think he wanted the schools

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

mefty – Member

It is always good to see so called liberals express such illiberal views – but they of course have a monopoly on wisdom.

Its hardly illiberal to castigate such an unpleasant intolerant lying outfit.

mefty
    Free Member

Its hardly illiberal to castigate such an unpleasant intolerant lying outfit.

Intolerant of what? Other people’s views? Aye, right.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would have no problem with LIFE’s opinions being heard i do have aproblem with them being enacted.
    It seems that where countries have lower rates than us it is not down to abstinence and good dose of christian morality.
    I would be interested to see if the rates of pregnancy varies from faith schools v non faith schools [ controlled for income ,class etc- i suspect there is f all difference tbh. I would guess [ have worked in the area that economic deprivation, alcohol misuses, age own mother was when she had children and education level are all far more important indicators than faith tbh
    Anyone who thinks a message of just wait will work is being guided by faith rather than reality and is deluded so no real change there.
    Gove is smug even for a tory

Expecting a liberal to equally tolerate all political moral views would be stupid not liberal. Some messages are misguided, fuelled by ignorance and hate. I should give equal weight/tolerance to Ghandi or Hitler or Pol Pot or Mandela WHY?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I have a huge issue with LIFE being a part of a public forum setting government policy. Their whole stance is an anti science one. They actively harm people with their stance, Their philosophy is based on lies. They have no issue with deliberate lying to make their point. Its like having the BNP on a equality forum .

AdamW
    Free Member
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Unelected ….’ is closed to new replies.