Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Uneeven Pad Wear
  • drofluf
    Free Member

Changed my pads today an noticed they’d worn unevenly.

One side of the pad had worn more than the other so it formed a wedge When I put them together the outsides were parallel so I assume I need to re-align the calipers?

Also the outer pad had worn more than the inner. Is that normal?

spooky_b329

No, not normal.

If both pads are worn at an angle then thats the caliper alignment. When you have aligned the caliper so the disc is central (I find it easier to judge before putting the new pads in) push the pistons back, and check pump the lever a few times (NOT TO MUCH, you don’t want to pop the pistons out!) Both pistons should advance at the same rate, they should move out and then retract a fraction when you release the lever. If one isn’t retracting a fraction, or one retracts back to its original position or one piston doesn’t want to move at all, you have a sticky piston. You can try pumping them out a few mm’s and put some drops of appropriate brake fluid on the piston sides to free them up, otherwise its time to service them. You can also hold the good piston in so when you pump the lever, all the force is going to the sticky one. (appropriate fluid = mineral or DOT depending on the brake)

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Uneeven Pad Wear’ is closed to new replies.