Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Undoing SRAM powerlink connectors
  • rthomas17
    Free Member

I fitted a new chain with an SRAM powerlink connector last night, but realised I’d threaded it wrong. No probs I thought, I’ll just snap it open again. Found it impossible, and had to end up breaking the chain by removing a link in the old fashoined way. Maybe I’m just missing a trick – is there a technique for breaking a powerlink??? (it’s not the powerlock one that can’t be undone).

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

There is a technique. It takes hours of hurty fingers and bashed knuckles to get it, but once you have it’ll become easy.

sam_underhill

There is a technique, but when they are all full of crap from a few mucky rides it can be a right PITA. The tool (specially shaped pliers) on CRC maker it a lot easier!

joao3v16
    Free Member

Que?

I’ve always found the powerlinks a doddle to undo.

Squeeze the chain gently whilst pushing the links either side of the powerlink toward each other. Sometimes bending the links back and forth sideways a little bit helps.

They can get tricky if muck has ingressed between the plates, but giving the links a wiggle whilst pushing them together should sort this.

If your chain’s a bit greasy/oily, use a thin cloth to aid grip.

organic355
    Free Member

you need these:

geoffj

You’re probably not as stupid as me, but be aware that the 10 speed ones (not called powerlinks) aren’t designed to come apart.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I’ve only had one I couldn’t undo with my hands; took a pair of pliers to it (at the right angle) and since then it’s been loose enough for the fingers to do it.

Superficial
    Free Member

New Powerlinks are always quite stiff, and will be difficult if you’ve not got the knack. Perseverance usually solves it IME.

blackburied
    Free Member

Definitely a knack to it. I found if you can get the powerlink at the top in an n shape it comes apart easily

letmetalktomark

Perhaps due to my hamfisted nature I have never had any luck re using powerlinks in either 8 or 9 speed flavour.

I find myself now cutting out the links to save time, repeated swearing and skinned knuckles.

That said I still prefer them to a shimano pin.

Tiger6791

use 2 thin cable ties

thread them through the links either side upside down so the rachet doesn’t take

pull it tight so it pulls the power links together

apply pressure to the sides

works every time

Lionheart
    Free Member

As per Joa here, maybe just put a bit of twist into the chain ie twist (opposite ways) each end of the powerlink whilst pushing together, usually works fine for me.

devs
    Free Member

Plier? Cable ties? It’s a nano second operation. Think ladies bra from behind although you will have to do it 2 handed. Kapow! Sorted. Old oily, dirty rusty ones take oooh all of at least 10 secs. Keep practising.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

If it was black its not designed to break, you are supposed to split it like any other link. If its gold/bronze then it should click open pretty easily. If you have trouble fold the chain into a Z shape with the powerlink as the diagonal and you can apply plenty of pressure.

rthomas17
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions. No grit in the chain as it’s brand new. Maybe that’s why it’s so stiff. I tried various methods, brute force, wigglying, two sets of pliers, praying, kinetic energy transmitted through the power of the mind etc etc. I’ll maybe have another go tonight just for the hell of it, using some of the techniques suggested here, and if it gets too frustrating I’ll by me some of those special plers…

shedfull
    Free Member

I had the same problem, bought the pliers then saw a post on here where someone described what I and lots of others were doing wrong. Now I can unlink a chain in seconds. You just have to pinch the side plates together (across the chain) before the two link halves can be pushed together to release them.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Are sram ones different to kmc ones? I use kmc ones and never had an issue even with a gunked up chain. When you get it off fit a kmc one instead.

slimjim78
    Free Member

you just squeeze the plates together, then it pops apart with a bit of a sideways nudge.

10sp dont come apart, without the finger power of Chuck Norris

GlitterGary
    Free Member

It is a technique.

I usually find that half an hour of swearing and sore fingers, followed by going away for a brew and then coming back to try again, usually results in them coming apart instantly. 🙂

swisstim
    Free Member

“Old oily, dirty rusty ones take oooh all of at least 10 secs”

Is that bras or chains? I got confused.

theotherjonv

When I fit a new one, I always spend a couple of moments fitting and unfitting it off the cahin. I reckon new ones are still slightly tight from manufacture and doing this in advance rounds off the sharper corners just enough.

ads678

What shedfull and slimjim said, just pinch the sides together and they pop open. simple, no tools or sore finger needed!!*

* Unfortunatley I only found this out the other day whilst fitting a new chain for a mechanically inept freind, whilst i was struggling with the power link from his old chain, i said, “there has to be a knack to this, i can never get these buggers open”, to which he replied “don’t you just squeeze the sides” i did this and it popped open!! He was very happy!! 🙄

marka.
    Free Member

I don’t normally have a problem with them but I had one which was being a right bugger. So I used another trick:

– Turn the cranks until the powerlink is on the front of the largest chainwheel.
    – Move the lower chain one notch so the powerlink now sticks out like a triangle.
    – Give the powerlink a tap with whatever tool / rock you have lying around.
    – Hey presto, it’s undone.

I probably won’t do it every time (percussive maintenance isn’t normally ideal for chains) but it definitely worked.

hammerite
    Free Member

New chain new powerlink I found impossible. Luckily I hadn’t shortened the chain so just shortened it the usual way and used the powerlink from my old chain which I could undo.

Possibly not the best idea though as only a month in I snapped the chain – at the powerlink sprinting at the end of a cross race on Sunday.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

You just have to pinch the side plates together (across the chain) before the two link halves can be pushed together to release them

^^^ That

Blackhound

I never found the knack so bought some pliers from CRC in a sale. No problems now and easy to remove for cleaning as well.

I also retain the old power links from worn chains for emergencies in my puncture repair kit.

RealMan
    Free Member
    cheers_drive

I know the knack but I still struggle if the chain is dirty (which is normally the reason why I want to get the powerlink undone inorder to clean it).
    The Wippermann ones are so easy whatever state the chain is in.

zangolin
    Free Member

Forget all the other powerlinks the ones to use are the Wippermann-Connex links (as someone else suggested above)
    Easy to undo + reuse.
    Used them for over 7 years on all my bikes – road, XC and DH never a problem.
    Just make sure you put them on the right way up + replace with each new chain.
    Just buy the correct width/size link + you are away.
    Used with Campag, Shimano and Sram chains no problem.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Undoing SRAM powerlink connectors’ is closed to new replies.