Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 'Underwater' cameras, like for diving?
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Stepdaughter’s off to Jamaica in July & has done a bit of diving in the past, she now wants a camera to record the stuff she sees but (like me) hasn’t a clue about suitable cameras. She reckons she’ll be going to about 60ft so needs something to cope with that depth. Here’s the rub, budget of around £100.
    Any suggestions welcome!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

From memory, my Olympus TG1 is good to 40ft. Standard for a non-dive specific camera, I think. Rather over budget, too! Not sure I can think of anything good at that budget, I’m afraid.

Maybe a second hand one?

Takes good pics.

Would one of the phone dive cases work?

nickjb
    Free Member

GoPro (or copy) is the easy option. Small, waterproof and you don’t need extra chargers and leads. Only problem is that its a bit fiddly to use which becomes more of an issue underwater. Something with bigger buttons would be better but I’m not sure you’ll get much in budget although maybe there is something Chinese out there. A proper branded job will be way over £100

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    simon_g

GoPro do a dive housing with the flat lens, with the domed type they don’t seem to focus properly in the water.

Biggest problem is light, once you’re more than a couple of metres down you lose colours and eventually everything looks blue. Hence serious types going down with massive lights attached to their cameras to get usable shots. Without that you get the most pleasing shots on dives that are almost snorkelling depth.

I’ve got a Canon G9 and the dive case for it which is unlikely to be used again by me. If I can find it and it still looks good (no perished seals, etc) I’d be willing to let it go for that.

nickjb
    Free Member

Just to add, you are unlikely to get good underwater pics without a decent amount of gear but a little waterproof camera for snaps of you and your buddy on the boat or in the shallows is nice to have. Just spend the time on the dive enjoying your surroundings while keeping an eye on your buddy and your air.

gobuchul
    Free Member

SJ4000 budget GoPro clone

trailofdestruction
    Free Member

Have a look on Ebay for 2nd hand GoPros would be my suggestion. Plenty on there to choose from, but something like a Hero3+. This is a good one, although £50 over budget although, you do get a bunch of accessorises for it.

The next best option is something like a Gates underwater housing for a DSLR if you want something good quality, but that comes at a real prices, so not really feasible on the budget. As others have said, the biggest problem is going to be light, so a GoPro at lower depths is going to be a good bet.

scrumfled
    Free Member

at that budget pretty much the only decent options are second hand.

fleabay is an option, but personally I’d join thediveforum.com and put up a wanted in there.

(or if simon’s g9 is available, thats a good deal)

jimdubleyou

If you can push your budget a bit…

I have a Sony DSC-P12, with MPK-PHA housing (good to 40M), Sea & Sea YS-25 flash with arm & tray (basically everything you need) sitting in my loft.

It got brought down yesterday in preparation to sell as I don’t really take stills underwater these days. I was going to put it up for sale on YD but you will save me a job…

£150 + P&P

Caveat: Everything needs new o-rings: Will cost about £35.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘'Underwater' cameras, like for diving?’ is closed to new replies.