Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Understanding car tyres
  • Mounty_73

I currently have on the front, tyre sizes 215/55R16/97W.

Would these tyres be ok then? 215/55HR16, speed rating H, Load Index 93.

I understand the sizes and speed rating, but what exactly is the ‘Load Index’ please?

Cougar

Not unsurprisingly, it’s an indication of how much load a tyre can take. You probably guessed that bit.

The number is a code, it means nothing directly as far as I’m aware.

tonyg2003

Load index is the max weight rating of the tyre. 93 being 650kg and 97 670kg. This is the weight per wheel.

Cougar
    coffeeking
    Free Member

Load index is the amount of weight the tyre can take safely and is internally related to the speed rating in a way. It will depend on your car whether or not you actually need the original 97 rated tyre but assuming it’s standard fitment then going to a lower load rating means you may cause questions to be asked in an accident. You would be looking at reducing the forces/weight the tyre is rated to while still loading it the same way.

Other things to note are tyres with lower load rating have softer sidewalls and when used out of context are liable to easy damage by potholes. They also flex more and make the handling a bit less pleasant usually. My general advice with this, like most things where you don’t know the details and don’t have plenty of experience with them, is don’t alter it.

Mounty_73

OK, I understand it now, I guess I will just go with the same tyres with index load 97 as I already have, having a bad day and recovering from a migrane! 🙁

thomthumb
    Free Member

some people think that changing tyres to lower rated than originally specced could invalidate your insurance.

some cars are specced with tyres capable of carrying more load than the car is allowed.

I have no idea whether it could invalidate your insurance; i would not like to face a insurance company lawyer to find out…

Macavity
    Free Member
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Understanding car tyres’ is closed to new replies.