Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Undersink water filter help
  • spev

So does anybody have an under sink water filter? The ones with a separate tap for the filtered water? I’m interested in getting one but its a minefield with prices starting at 20 odd quid and going up from there.
    I’m tempted by this http://www.ontapsystems.co.uk/system2.htm but if anyone can recommend the one they have I’d be most grateful.
    ta
    Spev

Bear
    Free Member

Not a fan of those separate taps, you can get 3 way mixer taps to replace your current one which is a neater solution in my opinion. Not cheap though, look for Franke, Grohe, Brita, Bristan etc.

stuarty
    Free Member

Got one of these with it built in
    tap

Skittery 8mm nylon hot n cold pipes
    Could pea harder

Mr_C
    Free Member

I bought mine from Screwfix, similar to this but I think it was only about £30 when I got it. It says to change the filter every six months, I replaced the sink a few months ago and decided I should probably change the filter even though it was still working OK – that was after about 5 years.

Where I live, if I fill the kettle or cook with unfiltered water it smells like a swimming pool. The filter removes all signs of chlorine and coffee certainly tastes far better.

acidchunks

Looks like overkill tbh (I used to sell water filters, missus is a water treatment engineer)

Are you filtering mains water?

What are you trying to remove?

Do you live in a hard water area?

you’ll probably find that a britta filter jug with a GAC cartridge will suit your needs for most of the UK (for mains water at least).

Edit: and those saddle valves are crap.

spev

We have a recurring problem with the water smelling a bit sulphery (is that a word?) and occasionally it goes a browny colour (even more so after heavy rainfall). Welsh Water have assured us its safe (and it probably is) but its unsightly and puts you off drinking it. We have a water jug from Brita but its a PITA refilling the damn thing

acidchunks

Sounds horrible, I wouldn’t drink it!

Will ask the missus!

Edit, you didn’t say if it was mains water or not….

acidchunks

Basically her advice is thus:

Complain to your water company, again and again every time the water smells and/or is discoloured. One of the metrics water authorties are graded against are complaints, make enough and they’ll pay more attention. Take a sample in a clean bottle if you can, fill it right to the top, stick a lid on it and put it in the fridge, then complain (again) and tell, them you’ve taken a sample.

Do your neighbours have similar problems or is it just your house? If its not just you make sure your neighbours are complaining as well.

If you don’t get anywhere then you’ll need to look into multi stage filtration. As mentioned previously those saddle valves are rubbish and the flow rate they put out is pathetic. I’d suggestion going for properly plumbed in units, i.e. filter housings, in series. . definitely a wound type, followed by a GAC and then perhaps a ceramic and fix it to a proper tap. flow rate won’t be amazing but it’ll be better than one of those on tap systems jobbies.

I’ll be clearing some stuff out of my mums house next week, I have a feeling there’s an unused housing and several unused GAC filters (hopefully sealed, if not they might not be any good) in a cupboard that will never get used, if you want they’re yours for postage. 😀

spev

The neighbours havent mentioned it but they are a bit odd (and don’t comunicate other than to express jealousy), the water system around here is odd (along with a lot of other things) and very old. I’ll take a sample and keep complaining.
    Cheers for the offer of the filters, keep me posted i’ll certainly take you up on it.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

We have a recurring problem with the water smelling a bit sulphery (is that a word?) and occasionally it goes a browny colour (even more so after heavy rainfall). Welsh Water have assured us its safe (and it probably is) but its unsightly and puts you off drinking it. We have a water jug from Brita but its a PITA refilling the damn thing

You are getting fobbed off

When it next occurs take a sample as detailed above and ring and complain, detail in the complaint the specific taste and odour issues as well as the discolouration

If they refuse to turn out, state that you are going to write in, and then do so.

They have to provide a substantive response to a written complaint. If you are not happy with the response then write again, this becomes an escalated complaint, again they have to make a substantive response, the next stage is to take it to CCW for Wales

However…..

It is possible that you have two supplies, the DCC one which should be OK and a private one as a legacy or a common supply that is cross connected. I am aware of cases relatively recently elsewhere.

They should be keen to investigate and resolve the problem if that is the case as it is a public health risk.

You should not have to put multistage filtration on tap water, something else is wrong.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Drinking water quality
    How to resolve water quality issues

If you have concerns about your drinking water supply, you should contact the water company in the first instance. A list of water companies in England and Wales and their contact numbers can be found here. They should be able to give you some advice and test the water if necessary. They will also provide you with a summary of the water quality in your area free of charge on request.

If you have already contacted them and are not satisfied with their response, please contact the Drinking Water Inspectorate on 030 0068 6400. One of our inspectors will investigate the matter with the water company on your behalf and inform you of the outcome.

Our inspectors request a full report on your complaint from the water company and will decide whether the company need to take any further action. This takes a minimum of 10 working days but may be longer for more complicated issues.

nsaints
    Free Member

We have one of these via the previous house owners
    http://www.uk-water-filters.co.uk/water_filters_kitchen.html

new filter reminder every 6 months – they’re around £13

not the neatest solution but it works

acidchunks

spev,

like bigndaft says, the local water authority should fix the problems with your supply but you’re still welcome to the filters and housing if you want em.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Undersink water filter help’ is closed to new replies.