Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Underlay (for carpet) on suspended timeber floor – Suggestions please?
  • zeesaffa
    Free Member

We’ve got suspended timber flooring in some rooms downstairs.

There is a crawl space underneath which has air bricks so I don’t think ventilation is going to be much of an issue.

Basically, we want to lay carpets but not sure what (if any) is the best type of underlay to use.
    If we go for an underlay with a vapour barrier for thermal benefits – can that cause problems with the floorboards not being able to breathe – or will the aeration in the crawl space be sufficient?

We will probably be doing some major renovations in a couple of years – at which point we might look at ripping up the floor boards and putting in insulation and new floorboards or similar.

So, for now I’d just like to know if I should avoid any particular types of underlay because it can cause issues?

*sorry about the dull post* 😉

spooky_b329

I’d just get any half decent underlay. Cloud 9 is the only one I’ve used. Might be worth tacking that thin fibre board to the floor if your floor boards are not perfectly flat or have gaps. Tongue and groove probably OK without.

bruneep

after lifting carpets to redecorate upstairs I fitted This underlay Its like a new carpet has been fitted.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    zeesaffa
    Free Member

Thanks chaps!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Underlay (for carpet) on suspended timeber floor – Suggestions please?’ is closed to new replies.