Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Underground wasp nest! It needs to go.
  • slowjo
    Free Member

Just across from our front door we have a rockery (cue Pythonesque knights etc) in which wasps have been making a nest. I knew they were there a while ago but it has only been since the vegetation has died back that I have been able to spot the entrance.

Mme Wasp and her cohort are slowing down as it gets colder but they are still pretty busy. There is a lot of activity around our front door and they aren’t as well behaved as I would like close neighbours (with a sting) to be.

Last night I tried to drown them out by waiting until it was dark and the temperature had dipped as far as it was going to go, and then sticking a hose pipe down the hole (18 inches) and turning it on for an hour or so.

This morning, they are as busy as ever so either they all have wetsuits and aqualungs or the nest itself is above the ‘tunnel’.

I have some supposedly dedicated wasp nest destroyer but I suspect it is for the occasions when you have a nest hanging from the shed ceiling etc. I doubt it will do any good aiming it down what I suspect is an old mouse nest.

The only other option I have considered is waiting until it is properly cold (frost etc) and then digging them up but it could be potentially disastrous.

Is this a case for the pest controller or suit up, MTFU and get the spade out when it is frosty?

wwaswas

Expanding foam and hope they don’t have a back door you’ve not noticed?

bearGrease

Get some wasp and ant powder, put it in a bucket. When it’s cold and the wasps are drowsy, sneak up and put the bucket upside down on top of the nest entrance. Weight it down with a few stones and wait for two to three days.

trail_rat
    Free Member

norbert-colon

We got rid of one of these by tipping petrol down the entrance hole and then blocking it with a rag.

The fumes will kill the buggers.

You might be tempted to light it afterwards………… 🙁

MrNice
    Free Member

You might be tempted to light it afterwards…………

do go on, I have the feeling you’re leaving out the best bit…

neilwheel
    Free Member

Ant powder around the entrance, but don’t block it off. As they come back, they get dusted and carry it back into the nest.

slowjo
    Free Member

Ant/Wasp powder is next on the list then.

Thanks all.

mau00149
    Free Member

used the wasp nest killer powder – puffed liberally over the entrance to a nest between the roof eve and tiles. Its meant to coat the wasps as they go in and out the entrance and spread it into the nest. Worked really well.

Have done quite a few nests when they are hanging from the rafters. Big knife to cut it down, falls into a bag and then jump up and down on it. (Note – don’t try that unless you are sure the nest hasn’t been built round a 5″ nail sticking through the rafter!!)

http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/wasp-nest-killer-powder—150g-189625

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+1 wasp nest powder

works a treat provided the entrance is easily reachable (like yours)

oliverracing

I can confirm the petrol down the hole and light method works well – but make sure the surrounding area has been doused with water as the fireball can be quite impressive! watch out for the burning wasps though!

norbert-colon

I couldn’t possibly condone lighting it….

But if you do, as above, watch out for fireball and burning wazzers…

Be careful out there kids 😉

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I have nothing to add but please video it!

5thElefant
    Free Member

You need a badger.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

+1 for fire….do it tomorrow, seems appropriate.

righog
    Free Member

Lay in wait outside the nest, with one of those tiny crossbows, take them out one by one with lit matches.

Drac

You need a badger.

Badgers? We don’t need no stinking badgers.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOyO0-Rexl4[/video]

norbert-colon

Whatever you do… don’t try one of these….

[video]http://youtu.be/YaQQGG-RTXI[/video]

CountZero

Nuke from orbit, etc… 😉

theblackmount
    Free Member

Just leave it – its turning cold now and they are all going to die very shortly. Except the Queen of course but she never re uses the same nest next year.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Underground wasp nest! It needs to go.’ is closed to new replies.