Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Under work bench storage options for mancave?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Looking for ideas or suggestions for storing stuff – some tools, spare bike bits etc under a work surface. I’m just going to use some cheap kitchen work surface to make up a work area, but rather than shelves underneath I want all the stuff to be hidden away but accessible so my thoughts are to use some chest of drawers units but I can’t find anything that’s suitable or sturdy. Had a look at ikea stuff but the bottom of the drawers are flimsy 3mm mdf or hardboard, anything else seems too decorative for a workshop, ideally solid wood would be good, something like the old shop haberdashery/draw unit would be ideal but they seem to be trendy to have now so fetch a lot of money – ebay has them at about £1500! Kitchen draw units aren’t suitable either, usually too large and deep to store pots and pans.

So, has anyone done anything similar and can recommend somewhere to get something, solid pine would be good as I could paint it but where to get them? Happy with laminated chipboard stuff as long as the drawers are solid. Might have to end up getting something made?

olly2097
    Free Member

I use a tool chest/drawers. Old kitchen units and an old chest of drawers. Then I have little storage bins on the wall that can be moved around (aldi £9:99 at the mo)

nickjb
    Free Member

Shelves and crates. Much easier than other options. Its a workshop so function comes first.

psychobiker
    Free Member

I used old kitchen units in my mancave and found a recycling place for the worktop. Looks tidy and all my expensive tools nicely hidden away.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Try charity shops for a drawer unit?

bencooper
    Free Member

In my workshop I use a combination of old ammo boxes and steel filing drawers – “Veteran Series” ones are easy to find in a bunch of different useful sizes.

fasthaggis

If you hunt around on Gumtree/Ebay ,’Bisley’ style drawer units are good for bike bit/tools storage.

As Ben says,they come in lots of different sizes and heights .

midlifecrashes

edhornby

go round the back of a supermarket or fruit and veg shop in the high street, ask them for fruit and veg boxes, the ones made out of balsa and fibreboard in various sizes are perfect cos they stack or you can even screw them together for a little rack unit

footflaps

I built these in our workshop. Could do an under worktop version.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/eT3UDC]Storage Rack 16x 35l boxes[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Another Festool fan version (not me):

http://www.benchworks.be/sysport.html

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

IKEA’S ‘erik’ might be a contender. Metal throughout. Easily assembled, even by myself. Will happily swallow up compact discs by the dozen, so well sturdy.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/images/products/erik-drawer-unit-w-drawers-on-castors__73098_PE189505_S4.JPG

andyl
    Free Member

+1 for old Bisley metal drawers. Got a couple under the workbench at the flat I am wondering what to do with when I sell it along with the very heavy ceramic sink next to it. Not sure I can be bothered bringing them here now I have a halfords tool chest.

I did spot this which I thought was quite handy when looking for an engine trolley: http://www.screwfix.com/p/hilka-pro-craft-3-tier-mechanics-service-cart-780-x-420mm/72923

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas, one of those drinks cabinets would be good but I don’t think mine would be full for long.

Where are you finding old kitchen cabinets, about 20 years ago I did something similar with some new kitchen cabinets that were very basic but ideal, simple drawer units and the right height but new ones I’ve looked at don’t seem quite so adequate.

The mancave is part of an extension on the house, you can walk through to it without going outside, it’s all built to be habitable so when we move someone else could use it as a bedroom or dining room, I’m trying to make it look good so not keen on using old crates or plastic boxes, although footflaps home made unit looks like something I could do.

What I’m temporary using at the moment is my parents old sideboard, it’s got a set of drawers in the middle and I’ve found them really useful, I’ve put dome plastic ice cream tubs in the drawers and organised things into these, but something like that is too low to put a worktop on.

I’ll keep an eye out in second hand shops and ebay, but I might just have to design and make it myself.

BigJohn

Look at a B&Q pan drawer set
    If you’re Tradepoint registered they’ve got them on clearance. Bought one this week.

samuri
    Free Member

Pound shop plastic bins. I bought mine 2 years ago, still fine now. Store all sorts in them.

Although under my workbench I just have a single shelf for my powertools.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Under work bench storage options for mancave?’ is closed to new replies.